Obituaries and Death Notices
in Pulaski County, Illinois Newspapers

The Pulaski Enterprise

20 Jan. - 8 Dec. 1922

Mound City, Pulaski County, Illinois

Transcribed and annotated by Darrel Dexter


Friday, 20 Jan 1922:
Grand Chain Man Dies

John A. Lewis, harness maker by trade and a resident of Grand Chain for many years, died Saturday of apoplexy.  Deceased was 74 years of age and leaves a wife and several children, all of the latter being married.  Funeral was held Monday, Undertaker G. A. James, of this city, having charge.  The Masonic lodge aided as pallbearers.


Albert Mowery, charged with the murder of Arthur Brown, an aged hermit, at his home near Perks, in this county last October 18, was convicted of the charges in circuit court at Mound City and was sentenced to serve a life tem in the penitentiary.

At the conclusion of the Mowery trial, court was adjourned until Monday, January 30.

Takes Prisoner to Pen

Deputy Sheriff James Wilson escorted Albert Mowery and George Marr to the Southern Illinois penitentiary at Menard where the former will serve a life sentence and the latter an indeterminate term.

Infant Dies

Mr. and Mrs. O. B. Grogan, who reside in the Hough cottage on Main Street, were visited by the stork Sunday and a boy delivered to them.  The little one only lived until Tuesday.  Burial was at Beech Grove Cemetery Wednesday with Undertaker James in charge of arrangements.


George Durden, convicted of murder and sentenced to life in the penitentiary at the January term of the circuit court of Pulaski County, Illinois, will make application for parole at the 1922 February meeting of the Board of Pardons.

Friday, 27 Jan 1922:
Ullin Constable Dies

Robert White, of Ullin, a constable, who fell under a train at Wetaug, January 6th, and who lost his right leg, while attempting to board the train, died Monday at the hospital in Carbondale.  Lock jaw developed and caused his death.  He was about 70 year of age and had a family.

Mrs. Harris Passes Away

Mrs. Ollie Harris, mother of Mrs. Clyde Murphy, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. T. L. Fandree, in Cairo at 5 o'clock Saturday afternoon, after a lingering illness of several months.

Mrs. Harris was born in Cannelton, Ind., 70 years ago.  She is survived by four daughters and a son namely; Mrs. T. L. Fauderee of Cairo, Mrs. John M. Franklin, of Wichita, Mrs. Clyde Murphy, of Mound City, Miss Frances Harris, of Cairo, and Charles Harris, of Ottosen, Ia.

A short funeral services as held at the residence at 4 o'clock Sunday afternoon by Rev. H. P. Hames, rector of the Church of the Redeemer, of which she was a member, and the body was removed to Cannelton, Ind.  Service was held there at the St. Luke's Episcopal Church Tuesday morning.


John A., son of Lemual and Hannah Lewis, was born in Vienna, Clark County, Ohio, on February 8, 1848, died in Grand Chain, Illinois, January 14, 1922, age 73 years, 11 months and 8 days.  He came with his parents to Saline County, Illinois, at the age of twelve years.  In 1890 he removed to Cairo, coming to Grand Chain from that place in 1895, removing to Carrier Mills in 1914, returning to Grand Chain in 1918, where he remained until his death.

August 16, 1870, he was united in marriage to Miss Lydia E. Rother, who departed this life March 7th, 1888.  To this union were born the following children:  Arthur Clayton, Flora B., Harley W., Lizzie T., and Iva L.

October 14th, 1891, he was married to Miss Lina Calvin, who survives him.  To this union were born Hiram C. and Ruth H.

He became a member of the Congregational Church of Grand Chain in 1896, and on removing to Carrier Mills he took a membership in the Methodist Episcopal Church of that city, uniting again with the Congregational Church of Grand Chain on his return to that place, and was a faithful and honored member of that church when God called him to his place in the church triumphant in that Heavenly Land.

Surviving Mr. Lewis are:  his beloved wife, his brother, Rev. Tennyson Lewis, of Charlottesville, Ind., a minister of the Friends Church; three sons, Arthur Clayton Lewis, of Carrier Mills; Harley W. Lewis, of Los Angeles, Calif.; and Hiram C. Lewis, of Carrier Mills; four daughters, Mrs. Flora B. Davis, of West Frankfort, Ill., Mrs. Lizzie T. Merchant, of Grand Chain, Mrs. Iva L. Davis, of Carrier Mills, and Mrs. Ruth H. Roach, of Levings, besides ten grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

The annual meeting of the Congregational Church of Grand Chain was held in December, just after Mr. Lewis was taken sick and although he was not able to be present, the esteem in which he was held by his fellow church members was evidenced by his election to the highest place of honor in the church, being made a member of the Board of Deacons.  In the years to come where the power of the Gospel of Christ has transformed this work into the kingdom of God, it shall be as a testimony to his loyal discipleship.  We shall miss his cheerful optimistic spirit and warm enthusiasm born of a well founded faith in God and his pastor will miss his cherished companionship and wise and helpful counsel.

(John Lewis married Lina Calvin on 14 Oct 1891, in Pulaski Co., Ill.  His marker in Grand Chain Masonic Cemetery reads:  John A. Lewis Born Feb. 6, 1848 Died Jan. 14, 1922.—Darrel Dexter)

Friday, 17 Feb 1922:
JOHN L. BRANDT, An Old Veteran, Dies from Injury

John L. Brandt, age 87, died at St. Mary's Infirmary at 11 o'clock Sunday morning from the effects of a fall a week ago in which he sustained a dislocated hip.  Mr. Brandt was a veteran of the Civil War and had been a member of the Odd Fellows Lodge for many years.  The aged man, it is said, had no living descendants.  Mrs. W. T. Parker, with whom he lived, was an adopted daughter.

Funeral services were conducted at 1:30 o'clock Tuesday afternoon at the First M. E. Church, Rev. J. B. Cummins officiating and burial was at Beech Grove Cemetery under the auspices of the Mound City I. O. O. F. Lodge.  Undertaker G. A. James had charge of the burial.

(John L. Brandt married Maria T. Balch on 31 May 1858, in Bond Co., Ill.  John L. Brandt, 28, born in Germany, enlisted as a private in Co. F, 130th Illinois Infantry on 7 Aug 1862, and was transferred to Co. F, 77th Illinois Infantry.—Darrel Dexter


Rumor That He Had Been Poisoned by Eating Candy Was Dispelled by Dr. O. T. Hudson

Pet Graham, 64 years old, a bachelor who lived with his brother, Clinton Graham, 60, also bachelor, on a farm two miles north of America, in Pulaski County, was stricken Saturday afternoon and died at 2 o'clock Sunday morning under circumstances, which caused the rumor to be spread that he had been poisoned.  Dr. I. N. Hudson, of Mounds, coroner, who was called upon the treat Graham Saturday night, stated, however, that Graham’s death was due to apoplexy and that there was no indication of poisoning.

Graham, who has lived on the farm for many years, walked to America, as was his custom, Saturday afternoon.  At a store he purchased a few sticks of candy and had eaten part of the candy when he arrived home.  He was taken ill upon his arrival home and the candy was believed to have caused his illness.
A twin brother of Pet Graham, a bachelor, like the two brothers with whom he lived, died two years ago,

Father Reich Indicted

Father Joseph Reich, formerly pastor of the Catholic Church at Grand Chain, was indicted Wednesday morning by the circuit court grand jury in Cairo on a charge of manslaughter in connection with the death of John Burton, 38, of 210 Twentieth Street.  A bench warrant was issued for the arrest of the priest and is in the hands of Sheriff Jessie E. Miller.

Burton, a freight inspector at the Mounds yards of the Illinois Central railroad, was on his way to work at 2 o'clock on the afternoon of January 3, when he was struck by Father Reich’s automobile at Twentieth Street and Commercial Avenue.  He was taken to St. Mary's Infirmary, where he died a short time later.  Louis Allen, 51, of 1611 Poplar Street, also was struck and seriously injured by the automobile but has recovered.  A coroner’s jury returned a verdict of unavoidable accident.

The grand jury began its probe into the circumstances surrounding the death of Burton Tuesday morning, but adjourned until yesterday morning to hear the testimony of witnesses who were out of the city.  After hearing the witnesses, they found the indictment and adjourned sine die at 11 o'clock Wednesday morning.

It was understood that Father Reich, who has been in charge of the Grand Chain parish for a number of years, was recently transferred to a western parish.  He was believed to have gone to Michigan for a visit before assuming his new duties.

Friday, 24 Feb 1922:
Colored Cook Dies

William Tally, 49 years old, died Friday night, from a complication of diseases of an influenza and pneumonia nature.  He had been employed as cook at the St. Charles Hotel for the past 17 years and was active as a minister of the Church of God.  He leaves a wife and one daughter, who reside at Clayton, Mo.  The funeral was held Sunday from the new church, which he had diligently worked to establish, and his was the first burial from this house of worship.  Interment took place at the Beech Grove Cemetery with Undertaker G. A. James in charge.

Mrs. Calhoun Deceased

Mrs. Lela Calhoun, formerly a resident of this city, died at the Anna hospital at 11 o'clock Friday night.  She was an attendant at the institution and had undergone an operation for gallstones to which she succumbed.  She is survived by one daughter.  Burial took place at Grand Chain, her former home.


N. A. Devore, age 79 years, died at his home in Mound City Wednesday evening at 7 o'clock from pneumonia.  He was born in Cairo and was one of the oldest residents of this city.  Mr. Devore was a Civil War veteran and before retiring about three years ago was engineer at the shipyards, serving in that capacity for about forty years.  Besides the widow, he is survived by five sons, Robert, of San Pedro, California; Nick, of Vicksburg, Miss.; Andrew, Charles, and Casey, of this city; and two daughters, Ella Devore and Mrs. Jeff McClure, and a large number of grandchildren.  Funeral services were held from St. Mary's Catholic Church in this city Friday morning and the interment took place at Beech Grove Cemetery.

(Nicholas A. Devore married Mary M. Worth on 9 Nov 1862, in Pulaski Co., Ill.  Nicholas A. Devore married Sarah Ann Grover on 27 Dec 1864, in Alexander Co., Ill.  Sgt. Nicholas A. Devore, 20, born in Cairo, Alexander Co., Ill., enlisted in Co. C, 130th Illinois Infantry on 8 Aug 1862, and was transferred to Co. H, 77th Illinois Infantry.—Darrel Dexter)

Friday, 3 Mar 1922:
Rev. W. J. Ward, pastor of the Baptist Church, was called to Bertrand, Mo., on account of the death of his mother, Mrs. H. A. Ward, who died February 26th.

Friday, 10 Mar 1922:
Colored Veteran Dies

Thomas W. Turner, age 76 years, a well known colored citizen of this city, died Monday morning at 6:30.  Deceased was a veteran of the Civil War and interment took place in the National Cemetery Thursday afternoon.

(Thomas Turner, private, U. S. Army, died 6 Mar 1922, and was buried in Section F, grave 4950B, in Mound City National Cemetery.—Darrel Dexter)


Little Bethyl James, the 6-year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. G. A. James, passed to the great beyond, this Friday morning at 1 o'clock after a week's illness.  After all the careful nursing and skillful medical attention, the little on succumbed to the fatal disease, and the home has been deprived of a bright and beautiful little girl.  The family has the sympathy of the entire community in their sad bereavement.


Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Youngblood, who reside at Marion, have been bereaved in the death of their 5-year-old daughter, Mary Alene, who died last week from scarlet fever.  The body was brought here Friday evening and the funeral was held Saturday morning.  Burial taking place in the Beech Grove Cemetery.  Undertaker G. A. James was in charge.

Rev. W. J. Ward, pastor of the Baptist Church, conducted the funeral services.

Mrs. Conlin Passes Away

Mrs. Ellen Conlan, age 76 years, died Saturday night at 11:30 at the St. Mary's Infirmary in Cairo.  She had been suffering with kidney trouble for some time and had entered the hospital for treatment a month ago.  She leaves a son, John Conlon, and four grandchildren, three boys and one girl.
Funeral services were held from St. Mary's Catholic Church at 8 o'clock Monday morning.  Father Charles Feeney conducting the service, interment taking place in St. Mary's Cemetery near Mounds.

Lewis Miller, who was operated upon for appendicitis at the Metropolis hospital and was thought to be getting along nicely the first few days, succumbed Saturday morning at 9 o'clock to the great shock of his many friends.  Funeral services were held Sunday afternoon at the Methodist church, conducted by the Rev. Dunn, of Cypress, and the I. O. O. F. lodge in a body.  Many beautiful floral offerings were given in sympathy to the immediate family and all that could be done by friends to help lessen the grief was bestowed upon them.

Mr. Miller was in the prime of his manhood, recently passing his 25th birthday.  He leaves a wife and child and the parents, three brothers and one sister and a host of friends to mourn his departure.  (Karnak)

The baby of Mr. Osborn died Sunday night and was buried at Ohio Chapel Tuesday.  The little one had been sick many weeks, having contracted the whooping cough which caused its death.  (Karnak)

Mr. and Mrs. A. P. Schroader, who have been sojourning in Denmark the past three months and are returning home sooner than expected on account of the influenza epidemic which is sweeping the European countries.  They have lost two relatives, who died of influenza during their visit.  In a letter to Mrs. T. A. Diepenbrock, Mrs. Schroader wrote they expected to arrive in New York about the 18th of this month.


Mary Alene, beloved daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Youngblood, of Marion, passed away at her home March 7th, of diphtheria, age 5 years.  The remains were brought down form Marion Friday night.  Rev. Ward, of this city, conducted a brief funeral service at the cemetery.  The family formerly resided in this city and have relatives and friends here, all of whom sympathize with the bereaved mother and father.

Friday, 24 Mar 1922:

One man killed, another severely injured and three others received slight injuries Tuesday afternoon when a Ford car, containing the quintet, driven at a terrific rate of speed up Main Street and over the north levee toppled over into the water on several boats that were tied to the levee slope.

The car was driven by Charles Burkland, the owner, and contained James O'Sullivan, Morris Krietner, Daniel Hurley, and John Yocious.  O'Sullivan received a severe protuberance on the side of his head and it is thought that he became caught by the boats or was pinned under the car, as the curtains were fastened and the car was submerged in the back water.

Burkland was badly hurt, one ear being almost severed.  He was removed to his room and given medical attention and Wednesday afternoon he was removed to St. Mary’s Infirmary in Cairo.

Hurley, Krietner and Yocious were able to extricate themselves from the water and wreckage, but it was only through the prompt help from Hurley that Burkland was rescued.

The coroner, Dr. O. T. Hudson of Mounds, conducted an inquest and postponed it for several days owing to several of the witnesses unable to appear.

James O'Sullivan was the youngest son of Mr. and Mrs. Jerry O'Sullivan, and was 26 years of age, having been born and reared in this city.  He was a ship carpenter by trade and had been employed at the Marine Ways.

He is survived by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Jerry O'Sullivan, of this city, two sisters, Mrs. J. W. Elder, of Louisville, and Mrs. E. C. McKinney, of Memphis and one brother, Dan, of Chicago.

The funeral services were held from St. Mary's Catholic Church Thursday morning at 8 o'clock.  Father Charles Fenney extending the rites of the church.  Interment in the Catholic cemetery near Mounds.  His brother, Daniel, of Chicago, and sister, Mrs. McKinney, of Memphis, arrived to attend the funeral.

(Jeremiah O’Sullivan married Sarah J. Bray on 12 Apr 1882, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)


Mrs. Virginia Drake, age 75, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Ernest Read, at Marion, at 9 o'clock Wednesday night.  The remains arrived last night over the Big Four and the funeral will be held this afternoon.  Mrs. Drake has been a resident of this city for many years and leaves a large family to mourn her demise.

(James Q. R. Drake married Virginia Craycraft on 15 Mar 1863, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)

Friday, 7 Apr 1922:
Mrs. H. P. Stahlheber was called to Belleville Sunday on account of the serious illness of her father, Henry Barthel, Sr.  (Grand Chain)

News from the State of Washington, announcing the death of Mrs. Luke Gaunt, formerly Miss May Channey, of this place (Grand Chain) and the serious illness of her husband and two children, was received here last week.

Friday, 14 Apr 1922:
E. E. Vick and family attended the funeral of his sister at Tamms last Friday, who succumbed to the dreaded disease pneumonia.

The 2-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Marion Stevens, died Saturday night of pneumonia and was laid to rest Monday morning, the funeral services being held at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Stevens, grandparents of the child.  (Karnak)

Friday, 21 Apr 1922:
Former Resident Here Dies

The following article was clipped from an Indianapolis paper and will be of interest to many of the older residents of Mound City as Mr. Kellogg was a former resident of this city some years ago, being the foreman of the Meyers Stave Factory.

Funeral services for W. L. Kellogg, a retired manufacturer of wood working machinery, who died yesterday at his home, 1928 Ashland Avenue, of a complication of diseases, will be held Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock in the funeral parlor of Ragsdale and Price, 1219 North Alabama Street.  Burial will be in Crown Hill Cemetery.

Mr. Kellogg was 89 years old and had lived in Indianapolis nearly all his life.  He was a member of the Knights of Pythias having joined the order in Lafayette, where he resided for a short time.  Two children survive him, a son, W. R. Kellogg, who lives at the Ashland Avenue home, and a daughter, Mrs. Grace Perrin, of Connorsville.

James Moss, one of our (Olmsted) well respected colored citizens, passed away while in Chicago receiving treatment and was buried here Sunday and his funeral was attended by a multitude of relatives and friends.

Mrs. H. P. Stahlheber and baby have returned from Belleville, where she was called by the illness and death of her father.  (Grand Chain)

Friday, 28 Apr 1922:
Death of Mrs. James Wright

Mrs. James Wright, of near Villa Ridge, suffered a stroke of paralysis, following a lingering illness and passed away Friday at her home.  Deceased was 51 years of age.  The funeral service was held from the home of Joe Bour, in Valley Recluse Sunday.  Rev. G. A. Tucker conducted the funeral services and interment taking place in Beech Grove Cemetery.  G. A. James was in charge of arrangements.

Dies Suddenly at His Home

Charles Wedgewood, age 64, an old resident of this county, dropped dead at his home in Valley Recluse, Saturday evening.  He had been plowing and was in the act of unharnessing the mules, when he was stricken.  He leaves a widow and three stepchildren, two sons, and one daughter, Mrs. H. G. Isenberger.  Funeral services were held at the home Tuesday.  Rev. S. J. Burgess conducting the service.  Burial taking place in Beech Grove Cemetery.

Undertaker G. A. James was in charge.

(A.  F. Wedgewood married Mrs. Luella Curren on 14 Dec 1901, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)



             A sad accident occurred Saturday afternoon at the home of William Price, near Levings, when Lorena Jenelle Reichert, the 8-year-old daughter of F. J. Reichert, of Grand Chain, was fatally shot.  As related to us, the Reichert girl had gone to the Price home for a party of little folks and while there, the 15-year-old son, Elmer Weese, came in and threw his coat down containing a revolver.  A younger brother came in and securing the gun snapped it at the little girl, the bullet killing her instantly.  The lad was so frightened that he ran away, but he has been exonerated from all blame.

Funeral services were held at 9 o'clock Tuesday morning from the Catholic church in Grand Chain, Father B. H. Moorman, conducting the service.  Burial taking place in the Catholic cemetery near Grand Chain, G. A. James of this city, was in charge of the funeral arrangements.

(A marker in St. Catherine Cemetery at Grand Chain reads:  Lorane Reichert.—Darrel Dexter)

Elmer Womack, who has been ill for some weeks with the flue and a complication of ailments, passed away at his home 2 miles east of Karnak Thursday morning at 10 o'clock to the shock of his many friends.  Funeral services were held at the Methodist church Saturday afternoon conducted by Rev. Corzine, of Cairo, assisted by the local pastor, Rev. Morgan.  Burial took place at Grand Chain, Mr. Womack was 39 years of age and leaves a wife who was Miss Ruth Berry, of this place (Karnak), three young sons, a father, mother, brother, sisters, and a host of relatives and friends to mourn his departure.

(His marker in Grand Chain Masonic Cemetery reads:  Elmer E. Womack 1883-1922.—Darrel Dexter)


We take this method to thank the many friends and neighbors who so kindly assisted us in the last illness and death of our beloved husband, father, son and brother.  Also for the beautiful floral offering.  When sad hours like this come to you, may you have the same kindness and love shown you as has been ours.
Ruth Womack and children
Mr. and Mrs. S. L. Womack
James Womack
C. E. Womack
Carrie Wilson
Annie Douglas
Maud Alliman
Bera Shields

The remains of Elmer Womack were brought here (Grand Chain) from Cairo Saturday for burial.  He is survived by his wife, formerly Miss Ruth Berry, of Grand Chain, and three small children.

Michell Dawson, well-known colored man of this place (Grand Chain), was fatally injured Friday while working in the woods.  Funeral service and burial was held on Monday.

Funeral services of little Lorene Reichert, eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. F. J. Reichert, was held at the Catholic church Tuesday morning, the parish priest officiating.

Truly it was a most sorrowful occasion, owing to the manner in which the little one met death.  Having attended a party for little folks at the home of Mr. and Mrs. William Price, of Levings, Saturday and while deep in the fun of a childish game, a revolver shot was fired by the hands of the four-year-old Weece baby, child of Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Weece, of Grand Chain.  The baby had found the revolver in the coat pocket of an older brother.  Lorene was instantly killed by a bullet entering the back of the head and coming out almost through the skin over the eye.  The parents were immediately notified of the accident and the body was taken to the home of the grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Gus Reichert, after the inquest was held.

The accident occurring Saturday should be a warning to all parents.  Keep fire arms in a place safe from the hands of children.  Let us show our sympathy for the bereaved parents, not only by kind words and sympathizing tears, but by an act that proves beyond doubt just how deep is our sympathy, by starting a "Destroy a Revolver Week" and make a clean sweep, allowing no one but qualified officers possessing of one.  Who knows, it may be your little one next.


Elmer Elsworth Womack, son of Mr. and Mrs. S. L. Womack, was born in Elizabethtown, Ill., March 6, 1883, and departed this life April 20, 1922, being 39 years, 1 month and 14 days of age.

He was united in marriage to Miss Ruth Berry, March 17, 1915.  There were three sons born to this union, James Lemer, Douglas Warner, and Elsworth Berry, all of whom survive him together with his wife, both his parents, his brother, James, Mesdames Carrie Wilson, Lelia Douglas and Annie Douglas, of Karnak, D. E. Rose, his uncle of Mauntie, Ill., who was with him the last hour.  Two sisters, Mesdames Maud Alleman and Bera Shields, of Elwood, S.D., a brother, C. E. Womack, of Truman, Ark., and a host of friends to mourn their loss.

He was honored by having some childhood friends from Pope and Saline counties attending the last sad rites.

The great interest manifested by the kindness, solicitude and loving helpfulness of his host of friend attest to the great esteem in which he was held.  He will be sadly missed for many days in the community in which he lived.

Funeral services were held Saturday April 22.  Short services were held at the home at 12:30 p.m. conducted by Rev. C. F. Corzine, of Cairo, and at the M. E. church at Karnak by Rev. Corzine, assisted by the pastor, Rev. Morgan.

Interment was in the Masonic Cemetery at Grand Chain.
Tis sad to part with those we love,

Yet duty calls away,
But in that home of bliss above,

We hope to meet some day.
Some go away while others stay,

Yet hope to meet again.
Life's sun shall set where we forget;

Our love will still remain.

Friday, 5 May 1922:
Louis Keiler Dies in Alabama

Louis E. Keeler, 51 years old, resident of Mound City until 10 years ago and for many years an engineer on the steamer Cora Bell, died suddenly at his home in Demopolis, Ala., Wednesday.  The remains will arrive in Mound City today and will be taken to the home of his sister, Mrs. T. J. Kinney.  Funeral arrangements have not been made.  His wife and sister are his only surviving relatives.

Demented Negro Shoots Father

Welling Adams, negro, age 22, shot his father, Isom Adams, an elderly farmer at their home Friday night near Villa Ridge and was himself shot at ____ __k Saturday morning ___ attacked Deputy Sheriff
____ _n with an ax, when ____ attempted to arrest ______ shooting of his ____.

Dr. Miller died and was brought to his old home for burial.  No doubt quite a few remember the doctor, as he lived here (Perks) something like a year.


Bird Weaver was called from labor to reward Saturday night, April 5th, 1922, at 9 p.m. at the age of 65 years, 7 months, and 11 days.  He was born in Margum, Culbert County, Ala., September 1, 1856.  He had been very poorly for the past six months, finally growing worse until his death.

He professed a hope in Christ four weeks before the end came, telling his friends about it, over which was much rejoicing.  He had not walked for nine days.  On the day of his death, he walked over the house.  His wife questioned him about it and he said he was walking with Jesus.

He had been a member of the county commissioners.  At his death he was precinct committeeman.  He was a loving husband, kind father, a good citizen, and beloved by all who knew him.  He leaves an affectionate wife, one daughter, one son, one brother, two sisters, and host of relatives and friends to mourn for him.

To see him we must meet him in heaven, where there will be no parting.

The family desires to thank all persons who so kindly assisted them in their bereavement.

(Bird Weaver married Ella Cross, “colored,” on 22 Aug 1885, in Pulaski Co., Ill.  Robert Baismore married Nettie Weaver, 20, native of Cairo, daughter of Bird Weaver, on 19 Feb 1897.—Darrel Dexter)

Friday, 12 May 1922:
Funeral Services Held Saturday

Louis Keeler, who died in Demopolis, Ala., and the remains were brought to this city, being taken to the home of his sister, Mrs. T. J. Kinney.  The funeral was held Saturday morning at 8 at St. Mary’s Catholic Church, Father Charles Pheeney conducting the last burial rites.  Interment in St. Mary's Cemetery.  Undertaker B. A. James was in charge.

(His marker in St. Mary’s Cemetery at Mounds reads:  Louis E. Keeler Born Aug. 9, 1870 Died May 3, 1922.—Darrel Dexter)

Friday, 2 Jun 1922:

Mrs. Sarah Echols Hannon, 76 years old, died at her home in Olmstead, following an illness of several years.

Mrs. Hannon was born at Caledonia, Ill., near where she died, on June 14, 1846.  In 1864 she removed to Cairo, where she married Mr. Hannon in 1872.

She was active in many public movements during her entire life or until infirmities of age prevented.  She was a member of the Church of the Redeemer of Cairo and of the Cairo Woman's Club.  She was also secretary of the Illinois Humane Society for many years, and was also the first president of the Cairo Orphan Asylum.  In 1892 she was department president of the Woman’s Relief Corps, the auxiliary to the grand Army of the republic and in 1896 she was a member of the Woman’s Republican State Central Committee for this district.

Mrs. Hannon is survived by her husband, Horace A. Hannon, a son, Dr. Blake Hannon, of Chicago, two brothers, D. A. Echols, of Danville, and B. F. Echols, of DuQuoin; a niece, Mrs. James E. Woelfle, of Cairo; and three cousins, Dr. F. M. Harrell, Wood A. Rittenhouse, and Charles F.  Arter, of Cairo.

Funeral services were held in the Methodist church at Olmsted at 4:30 o'clock Saturday afternoon, Dr. H. P. Hames, rector of the Church of the Redeemer conducting the services.  Burial in the cemetery near Olmsted.

(Horace A. Hannon married Mrs. Sallie E. Woods on 19 Sep 1872, in Pulaski Co., Ill.  Dannie A. Echols married Matilda Duncan on 22 Aug 1869, in Pulaski Co., Ill.  James E. Woelfle married Hortense Hannon Echols, daughter of Thomas B. Echols and Annie Brown, on 10 Oct 1900, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)

Son Visits Father's Grave

Mound City had an unusual visitor here this week in the person of F. M. Ricks, of Davis City, Iowa.  He was here Memorial Day and came to visit his father's grave in the National Cemetery, which was located with the assistance of the Superintendent, B. A. Brinkley.  Mr. Ricks, who is a man in the sixties, was a mere babe when his father died in the hospital here during the Civil War.  It was only recently that he learned of the location of his father's burial place.  He took part in the ceremonies held here Tuesday and was very grateful to have been able to take part.

Dies Leaving Five Children

Mrs. Audrey Hail Leech, age 24, died at her home in this city at 9:45 p.m. Wednesday.  The body was prepared for burial by G. A. James and shipped to McMillon, Miss., for interment.  Deceased is survived by a husband and five small children.


Undertaker G. A. James received a message that the body of John H. Curran, of St. Louis, would arrive in Mounds Saturday at 1 o'clock for burial at Beech Grove Cemetery.  Deceased is a son-in-law of Mrs. G. G. Pollard, formerly Miss Millie Cordingly, a sister of George Cordingly, former residents of this city and well known to the older residents.  The funeral services will be held under the direction of the Masonic Lodge and will take place at the cemetery.

(George G. Pollard married Mary E. Cordingly on 6 May 1882, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darel Dexter)

Brother Dies in Paducah

James L. Murphy, the elder brother of G. J. and Adolph Murphy, of this city, died at his home in Paducah Wednesday.  Adolph went the forepart of the week to be at the bedside of his brother, G. J. Murphy, and Mrs. Adolph Murphy left this morning to attend the funeral.  They were accompanied by Harry Settlemoir.

Friday, 9 Jun 1922:
Mrs. Earl Karraker and daughter Caroline were called to Chicago on account of the serious illness of Mrs. Karraker's father, M. D. Lockman.


Mrs. Lizzie Lee Powell, age 65 years, and librarian at the Cairo Public Library for 40 years, was fatally injured when struck by a Holbrook street car, in front of the library Monday morning.  She died without having gained consciousness at 12:15 o'clock.  Mrs. Powell's maiden name was Ent and years ago was a teacher in our city schools.  Her husband, P. E. Powell, is well known here, as he has served as bookkeeper at the J. T. Polk plant.

Surviving Mrs. Powell are her husband, P. E. Powell, four sisters, Mrs. Luci Hill and Mrs. Frank Spencer, of Cairo, Mrs. Charles Walbridge, of Mounds and Mrs. W. E. Matthews of Kansas City, Mo., and two brothers, Louis Ent, of Cairo, and Robert Ent, of Mounds.

Mrs. Powell came to Cairo as a bride.  She was born in Vergennes, Ill., and after graduating from school went to Mound City as a teacher.  There she met Mr. Powell and they were married at Old Mounds, near Mound City.  They made their home in Cairo and about that time the library was founded and Mrs. Powell was made librarian.

(P. E. Powell married Lizzie Lee Ent on 3 Oct 1877, in Pulaski Co., Ill.  Charles H. Walbridge married Hattie D. Ent on 13 May 1881, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)

St. Louis Paper Notes Death

The remains of John H. Curren, who died in St. Louis, June 1st, were brought to Beech Grove Cemetery near Mounds, Saturday where in charge of the Masonic order the body was laid at rest.  The Post Dispatch of St. Louis in noting the death makes the following comment.

John H. Curran, 54 years old, of 5641 Enright Avenue, former State Immigration Commissioner, died in St. Luke's Hospital, this afternoon after a year's illness with heart disease and complications.
Curren, in recent years, worked with his wife, Mrs. Pearl Curran, in transcribing and preparing for publication the matter known as the Patience Worth writings.  These were largely taken through the medium of the ouija board, and the demonstration given by the Currans of the use of this instrument did much toward advertising and popularizing it.  They derived no profit from the sale of the ouija boards, and the returns form the sale of the Patience Worth writings were never large, though the works attracted wide attention.

Curran was a native of Iowa, and had lived in St. Louis for 18 years.  He was commissioner under Governor Hadley and was active in publicity work designed  to get settlers into Missouri from other states and to overcome a trend from the Mississippi Valley toward Western Canada, which at one time threatened to lessen the population of this and adjoining states.

After retiring from the state's service, Curran was in various enterprises, and up to a year ago he was secretary of the industrial Process Engineering Co.

He is survived by his wife and a daughter, Julia Curran, by his first marriage.  A younger child, adopted by Mr. and Mrs. Curran, took the name of Patience Worth Curran.


The sudden death of Grandma Merchant late Tuesday afternoon was a shock to the community, as she appeared as well as usual until Monday, when she was taken ill at the home of her son, J. M. Merchant.  (Grand Chain)


Sarah M. Cauble, wife of B. B. Cauble, died Sunday, May 28, at 3:45 p.m.  The funeral was held at Center Church Tuesday May 30th, in Olmsted, with services conducted by Rev. Corzine of Cairo, with interment at Concord Cemetery.

Mrs. Caudle is survived by her husband, two sons, Charles, of East St. Louis, and Percy, of Olmstead, and seven daughters, Mrs. F. Dauksch, of Olmstead, Mrs. Perry Sischo, of Port Huron, Mich., Mrs. J. E. Phalen, of Flint, Mich., Hattie and Bertha, of Chicago, Cina, of Cairo, and little Blanche, of Olmstead.

(Her marker in Concord Cemetery near Ullin reads:  Benjamin Caudle 1863-1937   S. Matilda Caudle 1861-1922.—Darrel Dexter)

Friday, 23 Jun 1922:
Attend Funeral at Metropolis

George R. Trail, son of Edward W. and Susan Trail, died at his home in Metropolis last Saturday.  Mound City was his birthplace, dating from December 22, 1873.  He was a well known lumber inspector.  Those attending the funeral from this city were John Law___, ___ie Lawler, Carrie I. ____.

(Edward W. Trail married Susan A. Choat on 10 Sep 1865, in Massac Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)


Mrs. Zena Parker Passes Away in Rochester, Minn. John Conlin Dies After Long Period of Illness.

Mrs. Zena S. Parker, wife of Edward Parker, of Valley Recluse, died June 16th, at 2:15 o'clock a.m. at Rochester, Minn., of exophthalmia (goiter).  She was 57 years, 7 months and 14 days of age and had been ill for a year and was taken to Mayo Brothers Institute for treatment, but the disease had gained such headway that the physicians were unable to give any relief.  The body arrived Saturday night and was immediately taken to the home in Valley Recluse, Mr. Parker and sister, Mrs. Ora Pollack, accompanying the remains.

Mrs. Parker was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. H. H. Spencer.  She was born and reared in this community.  In October 1888, she was united in marriage to E. C. Parker, into which union have come nine children, three of which passed away in infancy.  Besides her husband there are left to mourn her departing, six children, namely Roy and Mrs. Louise Conant, of Tamms, Mrs. Eva Clancy, of Villa Ridge, Hugh, of Marion, Frank and Edward, of Villa Ridge.  One brother, Frank Spencer, of Cairo, and one sister, Mrs. J. F. Welson, of Villa Ridge.  Also five grandchildren.

Funeral services were held at 4 p.m. Monday at the home, Rev. Joel Burgess conducting the services.  Interment taking place at Beech Grove Cemetery at sundown, to which place a large concourse of friends accompanying the remains with saddened hearts paid their last tribute to the departed one.  She was a member of the Rebekah Lodge.

John P. Conlin, age 53 years, 8 months, and 25 days, died after a lingering illness at the home of his sister-in-law, Mrs. Lillian Cheek, at 2:30 o'clock Monday June 19th, 1922.  Deceased leaves to mourn his death, his wife, a daughter, Mrs. O. M. Blankenship, of Little Rock, Ark., and three sons, Harry A. Conlin, of Memphis, Harold J., and John W., of this city.  Funeral services were held Wednesday morning at 8 o’clock at St. Mary’s Catholic Church, Father Charles Fenney officiating.  Interment in St. Mary’s Cemetery near Mounds, being laid by the side of his mother, who preceded him only a few months ago.  G. A. James had charge of the funeral arrangements.

(Edward Parker married Zena Spencer on 23 Oct 1889, in Pulaski Co., Ill.  John P. Conlin married Emma S. Peasley on 12 Feb 1896, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)

Card of Thanks

We wish to extend our thanks to our many friends who showed us so much kindness during the recent bereavement of our dear husband and father.
Mrs. Emma Conlin and sons

Mrs. Pres. Stubblefield passed away Sunday morning at 6:30 o'clock after a prolonged illness of tuberculosis.  Funeral services were held at the M. E. church, conducted by Rev. Morgan, Wednesday at 11:00 o'clock with interment at Anderson Cemetery at Boaz.  Her husband, small daughter, besides a mother, 5 brothers and 2 sisters mourn her departure.  (Karnak)


Friday, 30 Jun 1922:

Mrs. Adams Dies in Memphis Buried Here

Mrs. James Adams, formerly Miss Pauline Hallerburg, of this city, died at her home in Memphis Saturday morning.  She was about 55 years of age and succumbed to a siege of appendicitis.  The body arrived in Mounds Sunday at 11:50 and was immediately removed to Beech Grove Cemetery, where the burial took place.  Rev. Charles Crommell, Carbondale, arrived at 1:00 o'clock and held a brief service at the grave and the choir of St. Peter's Episcopal Church rendered the music.  A large number of friends and acquaintances of the deceased gathered at the cemetery and witnessed the services.  The husband and son Frank, of Memphis, accompanied the remains.  Others in attendance were Mr. Phelps and daughter, Mr. Henley and Mary Fitzgerald, of Memphis, Mrs. Kate Worrell and son, and Mrs. Caleb Adams, of Quincy.


We desire to sincerely thank our friends and acquaintances for their sympathy and many acts of kindness shown us in the bereavement and burial of our wife and mother.  Especially to those who lent automobiles and sent the beautiful flowers.
James Adams and son Frank

Friday, 7 Jul 1922:
John Cooks Dies in Memphis at a Hospital

John Cook, a well known former resident of this city, died at the Lucy Brinkley Hospital in Memphis Sunday morning July 2nd, at 2:50 o'clock.  He was 67 years of age and had been ill for some time.  Deceased leaves two sisters, Mrs. J. P. Conlin and Mrs. L. A. Cheek, of this city, and a brother, W. H. Peasley, of Memphis.  Funeral services were held Monday at 10:00 o'clock.  Interment taking place in Forest Hill Cemetery.

(John P. Conlin married Emma S. Peasley, daughter of Amos Peasley, on 12 Feb 1896, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)

Little One Has Brief Existence

A little daughter was born to Mr. and Mrs. Donald Moore Thursday of last week.  The little one only survived for 12 hours and the remains were interred in Beech Grove Cemetery Friday.

Attend Funeral in Wickliffe

Mrs. Elmer Friels and Mrs. Jesse Cunningham were in attendance at the funeral of Mrs. Nell Foss, at Wickliffe Wednesday.  Mrs. Foss was formerly Miss Nell Mimmins of East Cairo and is a niece of Mrs. John Devers, of this city.

Miss Twente to Succeed Father

Asa D. Twente, county superintendent of schools of Alexander County, died Friday noon and was buried Sunday.  His daughter, Miss Lucy Twente, who was one of the instructors in the Mound City Community High School is favorably mentioned as an incumbent of the unexpired term office of her father.

Petitions were in circulation this week asking the county board to appoint Miss Twente to the vacancy as county superintendent of schools.  Another petition asks that the Republican county central committee place her name on the ballot as the Republican candidate at the November election.

Friday, 21 Jul 1922:
Mother Dies in Murphysboro

Mrs. J. M. Bryant, mother of Mrs. Vivian Montgomery, died at her home in Murphysboro Sunday.  Mrs. Montgomery was called to the bedside of her mother last Thursday and was with her when she passed way.  Besides Mrs. Montgomery, two other daughters and three sons survive her.

Edward Boren, Jr. Dies

Edward, the 18-month-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Boren, died at 6:20 Friday morning after several days' illness of cholera infantum.  The parents have the sympathy of the community in their bereavement.

Friday, 28 Jul 1922:
The jury failed to indict L. Brown, negro, held in connection with the killing at Olmstead on last Friday night of Ed Harper, negro, in a quarrel, which is said to have arisen over the friendliness of Harper with Brown's wife.  Brown, according to the officers, blew off Harper’s head with a shotgun.

Friday, 18 Aug 1922:
Died of Apoplexy

Louis Parrott, age 65 years, died Friday, August 11, at the home of Jean Patterson.  He was stricken with apoplexy while in the yard and died before friends were able to get him into the house.  Burial took place at the Beech Grove Cemetery Sunday.  Undertaker G. A. James had charge of the funeral arrangements.  Two daughters survive him.

(Lewis M. Parrott married Molley Thorp on 30 May 1878, in Pulaski Co., Ill.  Lewis M. Parrott married Anna Bell Huff on 9 Dec 1888, in Pulaski Co., Ill.  Lewis M. Parrott married Mollie Hampton on 28 Jul 1892, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)

Friday, 25 Aug 1922:
Little Son Dies Wednesday

Mr. and Mrs. Harry Burkstaller had their infant son christened Sunday at St. Mary's Catholic Church, Rev. Charles Feeney performing the sacrament.  Joseph Wilburn was the name selected for the little one and Rohan Lutz and Miss Isabelle Kinney stood sponsors.

The infant son became ill on Monday with jaundice and passed away at 10 o'clock Wednesday night and was buried Thursday afternoon with services at St. Mary's Catholic Church, Rev. Father Feeney officiating.  Interment was in the Catholic cemetery at Mounds.  The bereaved parents have the sympathy of a large circle of acquaintances.

Olmstead Man Dies in Cairo

Alwin Rothenberger, 53 years old, of Olmstead, died at St. May's Infirmary in Cairo at noon Wednesday.  The body was removed to Carcher Brothers Funeral Home where it remained until 8 o'clock Thursday morning when the cortege proceeded by automobile to Olmstead.  Services were conducted by Rev. Huebotter at Concord School at 2 p.m. Thursday.  The deceased is survived by his brother, Robert Rothenberger, of Portland, Oregon.

(His marker in Concord Cemetery near Olmsted reads:  Alwin Rothenberger Born April 4, 1869 Died Aug. 23, 1922.  At Rest.—Darrel Dexter)

Another Implicated in Theft

Willis Morris, negro, who James Davis, negro, confessed burglar of the Ullin Post Office, charged with being implicated in the burglary was bought to Cairo last Thursday by Deputy Sheriff Frank Miller and locked in the county jail.

Morris was working on the new hard surfaced road near Ullin.  He was pointed out to Miller by Davis, who had been taking along to help him find.

He was given a preliminary hearing before U. S. Commissioner E. A. Burke and held for the grand jury at Danville in October on $1,000 bond.

Friday, 1 Sep 1922:
Mrs. William Powell, of Clinton, Ky., was called to the home of her daughter, Mrs. Harry Burkstahler, last week on account of the illness and death of her grandson.

Alwin Rothenberger died at the St. Mary's Infirmary in Cairo on August 23 after a very short illness. Although most of Mr. Rothenberger's relatives were many miles from here he will be greatly missed by a host of his friends of this community.  The funeral services were held at the Center Church August 29, at 2 o'clock conducted by Rev. Dunlap of Anna.  Remains entered at the Concord Cemetery.

Friday, 8 Sep 1922:
Dowell Hale Accidentally Killed in Mounds Yards

Dow Hale of this city, employed as a train inspector in the Illinois Central yards at Mounds were crushed to death while he was working between cars at 11:30 Sunday morning.  At the time of the accident he was working between the cars coupling air hose and inspecting the train.  It is believed that he had stepped between the couplings and that when cars were shoved onto the train he was caught and crushed to death.  There were no witnesses to the accident.

The coroner’s jury rendered a verdict of accidental death.  He was 30 years, 6 months and 20 days of age and leaves a wife.

Funeral was held Tuesday at Shiloh Cemetery, Rev. W. J. Ward officiating.  G. A. James was the undertaker in charge.

Brother of Mrs. Devers Dies

George Starks, age 37 years, died at 4:30 Saturday morning at the home of his sister, Mrs. Reuben Devers.  Besides his sister he is survived by his brother, John Starks and another sister, Miss Kathleen Starks.

Funeral services were held Sunday afternoon at the residence and the body was taken to Grand Chain for interment.

Infant Child Dies

Mazine Moody, the 6-month-old child of Mr. and Mrs. William Moody, died Tuesday.  The funeral was held Wednesday conducted by Rev. J. B. Cummins with burial at Beech Grove Cemetery.

Friday, 15 Sep 1922:
Manuel Cottom Buried Sunday

Manuel Cottom, a former resident of Grand Chain, died in East St. Louis last week.  He was 37 years of age and leaves a widow and two children.  He had been a sufferer of gallstones and his death was sudden, as on Labor Day he took part in the celebration.  The body was brought to Mounds Sunday and funeral services were conducted at Beech Grove Cemetery by Rev. G. E. Tucker.  Many from here and a large number from Grand Chain attended the funeral.

Civil War Veteran Dies Suddenly Buried Here

H. F. Knowton, age 76 years, a Civil War veteran, who had been making his home at the Soldiers' Home in Danville, died suddenly Sunday at 6 p.m. at the home of a daughter, Mrs. Effie Malbrey, at Cape Girardeau, Mo., where he had gone to visit.  He is also survived by another daughter, Mrs. James Painter of this city.  The body was brought here Tuesday and turned over to undertaker G. A. James, who took it in charge.  Funeral services were held at the home of Mrs. Painter, Rev. W. J. Ward officiating, assisted by Rev. J. B. Cummings.  Interment took place in the National Cemetery.

(Harlow S. Knowlton, 18, a native of New York, enlisted as a private, substitute for Elisha Wyram, in Co. G, 42nd Illinois Infantry, on 5 Nov 1864, and was mustered out on 5 Nov 1865.  Harlow S. Knowlton married Mary Jane Monroe on 7 Dec 1874, in Alexander Co., Ill.  Harlow S. Knowlton, Private, U. S. Army, Died 11 Sep 1922, and was buried in Section F, grave 4964M at Mound City National Cemetery.—Darrel Dexter)

The remains of Fred Horsley, who died here on Monday of last week at the home of his brother, was laid to rest in the Masonic Cemetery.  (Grand Chain)

Quite a number of friends of the late Manuel Cottom attended the funeral services at the Beech Grove Cemetery Sunday, making the trip by motor.  (Grand Chain)

Friday, 22 Sep 1922:
Husband Dies in the West

Mrs. B. L. Ulen has received word of the death of her son-in-law, E. H. Morgan, at Port Townsend, Wash., where he had gone for treatment.  He is survived by his widow, formerly Mrs. Belle Piland, of this city, a little son, two stepsons and other relatives.

Mrs. Williams Passes Away

Message was received here Sunday that Mrs. Samuel Williams passed away at her home in Joliet that day.  Further it stated the funeral would be held Tuesday.  Mrs. Williams leaves a husband, and two daughters, Mrs. E. G. Bailey and Miss Myrtle Williams, all of who reside in Joliet.  Mrs. Williams had been ill for a number of years.

Former Lodge Keeper Dead

Dr. J. F. Kargan is in receipt of a letter from Mrs. S. J. Delaplane, of Kirkwood, Mo., stating that her husband, who was superintendent of the National Cemetery here about 10 years ago, passed away on September 16, at the age of 84 years and was laid to rest in the Kirkwood Cemetery.

Son-In-Law Dies

Henry Reed received word Sunday of the death of his son-in-law, Ashel Ewing, who passed away at his home in Osgood, Indiana, Sunday, September 17.  Mrs. Ewing was formerly Miss Grace Reed of this city, and her many friends will be sorry to hear of her bereavement.

Henry Darragh Sr., Dies at 84

Henry Darragh, Sr., age 84 years, died at 4 p.m. Thursday afternoon after several weeks’ illness of kidney trouble.  The deceased was an old resident of this city and since the death of his wife, he and his children resided in the Hawkey residence.  He leaves two daughters, Mrs. J. P. Buchanan, of Cairo, and Miss Kate Darragh, of this city, three sons, Thomas and Paul, of this city, and Henry Jr., of Indiana Harbor, Ind.  Funeral services will be held Saturday afternoon at 1:30 at the house.

Friday, 29 Sep 1922:
Mrs. Delaney Dies in Springfield

Mrs. Alice Delaney, a former resident of this city, died Sunday at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Frank Pursley in Springfield, Mo.  The body arrived Wednesday at Villa Ridge, where interment took place in the cemetery near that place.

Funeral of Henry Darragh

The funeral services of Henry Darragh, Sr., were held Saturday afternoon at 1:30 o’clock at the residence.  Rev. Joel Burgess, pastor, of the Congregational Church, conducted the services.

Interment was made at Beech Grove Cemetery.  The funeral was attended by many of the old-time residents and there was a large and pretty floral tribute to the deceased.

Brother Dies in East Prairie

Mrs. Martin Bolar was called Saturday by message to East Prairie, Mo., where her brother Robert Gray was ill with typhoid fever.  He passed away on Monday.  He was 17 years of age and was a bright lad, being a student in the high school and had a host of friends.

For many years, Mrs. Ed Henn, of Mt. Vernon, believed that her sister, Edna, died in a forest fire in a western state.  She had not seen the sister for thirty-three years.  Yesterday the long lost sister, now Mrs. Edna Gaut, of Wallet, Idaho, arrived in Mt. Vernon in search of relatives whom she had not seen since a small girl and is now at the home of her sister, Mrs. Henn.  The experiences of Mrs. Gaut are more like a story than an occurrence in real life.

Dol and Jake Knupp motored to Karnak Sunday afternoon to see a ball game, but on account of the death of Henry Smith the game was moved some other place.  (Cross Roads)

Friday, 13 Oct 1922:
Many Answer Call to Death Reaper in All Sections

Mrs. Harriett Williams, wife of Capt. Mike Williams, the latter being a former resident of this city, died in Paducah Friday, Oct. 6th. She had been ill for several years and her demise came not unexpected.  The body was brought here for burial and arriving Saturday was taken to the home of her stepdaughter, Mrs. Joe Lutz.  Funeral services were held Sunday afternoon at 1 o'clock at St. Mary’s Catholic Church.  Father Charles Feeney officiating.  Interment being made in St. Mary's Cemetery at Beech Grove.

Mrs. Williams leaves besides her husband, three stepdaughters, Mrs. Edward Rohan, of St. Louis, who was at her bedside when the end came, Mrs. E. J. Stuart, of Cairo, and Mrs. Joe Lutz, of this city, and two stepsons, Edward Williams, of Elyria, Ohio, and Joseph Williams, of Cincinnati.
Mrs. Edward Rohan and Mr. Williams accompanied the remains here.

Thomas Litherland, 72 years old, died at St. Mary's Infirmary in Cairo, Oct. 4th, following an operation.  The body was taken to Grand Chain where the funeral services and interment took place.
Deceased is survived by his wife, two daughters, Mrs. C. W. Carter, of Lake Charles, La., Mrs. J. W. Harrington, of LaFayette, La., and a son, James Litherland, also of LaFayette,, La., and a niece, Mrs. Harry Settlemoir, of this city.

Mr. and Mrs. Harry Settlemoir and daughter, Miss Aline attended the funeral.

Mrs. Edward Brown, of Ullin, died at her home near that place, October 6, and the funeral and burial was held Saturday.  Gus, Charles and Arnie Corzine, of this city, are brothers, of the deceased and attended the funeral.  Mrs. Brown was 42 years of age and leaves a husband and four children, two boys and two girls.

(Edward Brown married Izety V. Corzine on 10 Feb 1895, in Pulaski Co., Ill.  Her marker in Butter Ridge Cemetery at Ullin reads:  Ed Brown 1870-1949  Isetta V. Brown, his wife, 1880-1922.—Darrel Dexter)

Charles L. Baker, age 66 years, a former resident of this city, died at Hot Springs, Ark., on September 30th, of cancer of the throat.  Mr. Baker is survived by a wife, who is a sister of Mrs. A. Y. Beaupre, of this city.  Interment took place in the Arkansas city.  Deceased was a member of the Mound City Lodge of the Modern Woodman of America.

Card of Thanks

We desire to thank our many friends for their many kindnesses shown us during the death of our dear wife and mother and especially do we wish to express our appreciation to those who so kindly extended the use of their automobiles and for the many beautiful floral tributes.
Michael Williams and Family

Mrs. Klock and Mrs. Miller, both of St. Louis, who came to attend the funeral of their uncle, Mr. Mellick, spent a few days visiting with their relatives at this place.  (Center)

Mr. John Mellick, a well known and dearly loved resident of this place (Center), passed away at his home on October 6.  He leaves to mourn hid departure, his aged wife and one adopted daughter, Mrs. Cora King, a number of other relatives and a host of friends.  The funeral services were held Sunday morning at 11 o'clock at Eastwood Church.  Rev. Camper conducted the services.  Interment was made at Concord Cemetery.  The funeral was well attended and there was a beautiful floral tribute to the deceased.  

(John J. Mellick married Eliza Shoemaker on 9 Feb 1873, in Pulaski Co., Ill.  His marker in Concord Cemetery near Olmsted reads:  John J. husband of Eliza Melick Born Oct. 13, 1848 Died Oct. 6, 1922.  At Rest.—Darrel Dexter)

Friday, 20 Oct 1922:
Colored Resident Dies

Charles Reed, an old colored man, who has been a resident here for many years, and known by early everyone, died Sunday after a lingering illness.  The funeral was held Monday from the Baptist church on Main Street.

Former Resident Dies

Ben Higgins died at his home in Kansas City Saturday, where he had been a resident for a number of years.  He was about 50 years of age.  The body accompanied by widow arrived in Olmstead Wednesday, where the burial took place in the cemetery near that place.  Mr. Higgins was a former resident of Olmstead and is a nephew of Mrs. Bartleson, now deceased.  He left this county for the west about ____.

Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Eskew were called to Chicago by illness and death of the latter's father, have returned home.  (Grand Chain)

John Mellick departed this life Friday, Oct. 6.  The funeral services were held at New Concord Church Sunday morning and the internment took pace in Concord Cemetery.  He leaves to mourn his departure, his wife and one adopted daughter, Mrs. Cora King.  (Bryan)

Friday, 27 Oct 1922:
James Henson, I. C. Engineer Passes Away

James R. Henson passed away Saturday afternoon at 2:40 o'clock following an illness of only a few weeks.  He was able to be up and about and only last week became ill to such an extent that he was obliged to give up work.  He was 45 years 10 months and 21 days of age and leaves a wife and two sons, Walter and Elmer, a daughter-in-law, all of this city, and one brother, Ben Henson, of Cape Girardeau, Mo., and two sisters, Mrs. Mollie Cottern, of Connesville, Ind., and Mrs. Martha Finnell, of near Thebes.

Deceased was a kind and loving husband and father, a clean and upright citizen and had a legion of friends.  He was an engineer for the Illinois Central and a member of the B. and L. E. and F. and in a religious way was a member of the Baptist Church, where he was a deacon and at teacher in the Sunday school.  He embraced the faith when a lad at the age of 11 and he kept the faith to his death.
Funeral services were held on Monday afternoon at 1 o'clock at the Baptist church, Rev. W. J. Ward officiating.  Interment took place in Beech Grove Cemetery.  A large number of sympathizing friends followed the remains to its last resting place.

Floral offerings in great abundance were sent as token of the sympathy and esteem with which he was held.

Henry Chamberlain An Old Resident Died on Sunday

Henry Chamberlain died at his home in this city Sunday age 79 years, 11 months and 27 days.  He had been ill for some time with cancer.  Deceased was born and reared near Wetaug, his parents coming to this state from North Carolina.  Besides a widow, who is his second wife, be leaves a daughter, Mrs. Villa Ross, of Oxford, Ind., three sons and a stepdaughter and several grand children.  Funeral services were held Wednesday morning at 10 o'clock at the Baptist church, Rev. W. J. Ward officiating.  The remains were taken to a cemetery near America where interment took place.  The burial ground being on a farm at one time owned and filled by the deceased.

Friday, 10 Nov 1922:
The remains of Mr. Durling, former resident of Grand Chain, were brought here (Grand Chain) the first of the week by his wife and daughter.  Burial services were held at the cemetery Tuesday afternoon.

(A marker in Grand Chain Masonic Cemetery reads:  John L. Durling 1869-1922.—Darrel Dexter)

Friday, 8 Dec 1922:
Father T. S. Bannan died in East St. Louis Dec. 3rd.  He was formerly priest in charge of St. Mary's Catholic Church during the years 1901-03 and is well known to many of the citizens of this community.  Funeral services were held Dec. 6th and the body was shipped to Boston for interment.

Lelia Hogland Lipe was born Jan. 8th, 1877, died Dec. 1, 1922, after an illness of eight months, was married to John Lipe in the year of 1897.  To this union five children were born, three of whom are living.  Besides the husband, she is survived by a brother, Edward Hogland, of Joppa, and a half sister, of Oklahoma.

Funeral services were held at the Christian church of which she was a member by Rev. Chester Esque.  Interment in Masonic Cemetery.

Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us that we should be called the sons of God.  Therefore, the world knoweth us not, because it knew Him not.  1 John 3.  (Grand Chain)

(John Rufus Lipe married Leila Hogland, daughter of Readis and Margaret Hogland, on 19 Dec 1897, in Pulaski Co., Ill.  A marker in Grand Chain Masonic Cemetery reads:  Lela & John Lipe.—Darrel Dexter)

Pulaski Index Page

Next Page