Obituaries and Death Notices
in Pulaski County, Illinois Newspapers

The Pulaski Enterprise

28 Jan. - 9 Dec. 1921

Mound City, Pulaski County, Illinois


The Ullin Times

25 Feb 1921

Ullin, Pulaski County, Illinois  

Transcribed and annotated by Darrel Dexter


Friday, 28 Jan 1921:

William Westerman, for over forty years a resident of this city, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Agnes Meyer, at 8 o'clock Wednesday night.  Deceased was in his 68th year and had been in poor health for some time.  He is survived by his wife and six children, three sons and three daughters namely:  Mrs. Agnes Meyer, of this city, Mrs. Clara Lamp, of Mt. Carmel, and Miss Lena Westerman a student at the University of Illinois; Joe Westerman, of this city, Leo, of Mounds, and William Jr., of New Orleans.  One sister, Mrs. Ganil Kaunte, and two brothers, Edward of this city, and Augustus, of Carlyle, Ill.  Mr. Westerman was an expert bookkeeper and was in the employ of the C. F. Meyer Co., up to the discontinuance of that firm.  He was also a most excellent musician, an artist on the piano.

Nearly everyone knew Mr. Westerman and was loved by all.  Funeral services were held from St. Mary's Catholic Church at 9 o'clock Friday morning.  Interment taking place in St. Mary's Cemetery near Mounds.  Rev. Father Feeney officiating.

(His marker in St. Mary’s Catholic Cemetery reads:  William Westerman 1853-1921.—Darrel Dexter)

Augustus Westerman of Carlyle, Ill., was called here on account of the death of his brother, William, who passed away Tuesday night.

Thursday, 4 Feb 1921:

John Freeman, colored, who on date of June 29th, 1911, shot and killed Lewis Jackson, at Grand Chain, has been located by Deputy Sheriff James Wilson, in Canton, Ohio, where he is under arrest, and will be brought to Pulaski County to await trial by Sheriff Bankson within a few days.

There has been a standing reward of $200 for the arrest of Freeman, which was offered by the Governor, and he has been successful in escaping arrest for the nine years, although he has been traced from place to place and several attempts have been made to secure his arrest.

Rev. Fr. Feeney, of St. May's Church, received a message last week advising him on the death of his mother, who passed away at her home in Ireland.  She was eighty years of age.  Father Feeney and sister visited the home of their parent only a short time ago and left her apparently in good health.

Friday, 11 Feb 1921:

Walter H. Walker, 45 years old, river man, who died at St. Mary's Infirmary at Cairo Sunday night was buried at Beech Grove Cemetery Wednesday morning.  Funeral services being conducted at Burke's undertaking parlors, at 9 o'clock by Rev. J. Coontz, pastor of the First M. E. Church.

Mr. Walker is a former Mound City boy and is known to many of the residents here.

Mrs. Lena Fiesche of St. Louis, a sister of the deceased, arrived Monday evening and made the funeral arrangements.  Mrs. P. C. Kennedy, of Moberly, Mo., another sister, and George A. Walker, of St. Louis, a brother also survive the deceased.


Mrs. Mary E. Hawley, age 64 years, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. C. E. Richey, at 1:00 o'clock Tuesday afternoon, after a lingering illness of one year.  She had been confined to her bed the past month.

Mrs. Hawley was the daughter of the late Capt. Coleman Boren, well known river pilot.  She had been a resident of Mound City with the exception of about 8 years spent in St. Louis and Genoa, Ill., has resided here ever since her girlhood.

She is survived by her husband, R. H. Hawley, to whom she was married Sept. 10, 1876, her daughter, Mrs. Richey, granddaughter, Miss Averil Richey, sister, Mrs. Carrie Spence, of this city, and one brother, Richard Boren, of New York City.  Her daughter, Miss Hattie Hawley and son, Coleman Hawley, died several years ago.

The funeral was held Thursday afternoon from the residence, Rev. J. B. Cummings, of the Grace M. E. Church officiating, deceased being a member of this church since childhood.  Interment in Beech Grove Cemetery.

(Robert H. Hawley married Mary A. Boren on 6 Sep 1876, in Pulaski Co., Ill.

Mrs. Margaret Kelso, of Chicago, was called here to attend the funeral of Mrs. R. H. Hawley.
Friday, 25 Feb 1921:

Mrs. Minnie Bour, wife of Joe Bour, of Valley Recluse, died at St. Mary’s Infirmary in Cairo Monday night.  Deceased was 55 years of age and was taken to the hospital to receive treatment.  She is survived by her husband and two children.  Also three sisters, Mrs. Edward Sheerer, of this city, Mrs. Nettie Wakeland, of St. Louis, Mrs. John Bundschuh, of Thermal, Cal., two brothers, William and Edward, of Valley Recluse.  Funeral services were held from the home at 1 o'clock Thursday afternoon, Rev. Joel Burgess conducting the services.  Interment in Beech Grove Cemetery.  The Eastern Stars conducting their ceremony at the grave.  Undertaker G. A. James was in charge.

(Charles Richard Wakeland married Nettie Graves, daughter of Samuel Horry Graves and Mary Catherine Littlejohn, on 17 Apr 1895, in Pulaski Co., Ill.  John Wesley Bundschuh married Flora Graves on 20 Oct 1897, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)

Mr. and Mrs. G. W. Cowles have returned from Columbus, Ky., where they had been called on account of the death of an old resident of that place, R. H. Hilleary, by name.

Former Resident Dies

Officers of Trinity Lodge No. 562 have received a resolution of condolence as made by a Masonic lodge at Vicksburg, Miss., which announced the death and burial of Bernard Newton formerly of this city and whose membership was with the local lodge.  Deceased can be well remembered by our older citizens, as his father was agent at the Big Four Station for a number of years.

Mrs. Samuel Littlejohn died Monday night at Jonesboro, Ill.  She was a former resident of Pulaski County and resided at Ullin.  She was a sister-in-law of Mrs. H. A. Mason, of this city.  Deceased leaves a husband and five children, one an infant two days old.

(Her marker in Jonesboro Cemetery reads:  Delphia A. Littlejohn Born Feb. 5, 1886 Died Feb. 22, 1921.—Darrel Dexter)

Friday, 4 Mar 1921:

Norman, the 4-year-old child of Mr. and Mrs. Len Johnson, died on February 28, 1921.  (Karnak)

Aged Negress Dies

"Auntie" Becky Curtis, an old and highly respected negress of this city died at her home Friday afternoon.  It is said she was over 100 years old, and she has been a resident here for over a year.  The funeral was here Monday afternoon.  Interment in National Cemetery.

(Augustus Curtis married Rebecca Williams on 3 Feb 1866, in Pulaski Co., Ill.  Rebecca Curtis, wife of August Curtis, Boy 1 U. S. Navy, died 25 Feb 1921, and was buried in Section E, grave 3785B, in Mound City National Cemetery.—Darrel Dexter)

Miss Leona Berry, age 19, and a granddaughter of Mrs. D. A. Jones, the latter a former resident of this city, died in St. Louis and the remains were brought to Villa Ridge Tuesday for burial.  A number from here attended the burial service.


We wish to express our sincere thanks to our kind neighbors and friends during the death of our beloved wife and mother, for their beautiful floral offerings and to the order of the Eastern Star.
Joseph Bour
Floy Bour Shumaker
Will Bour

Mrs. Walter Thogmarton, a former resident of this city, died at her home in Marion Monday morning.

Mr. and Mrs. E. C. Morrison were called to Poplar Bluff, Mo., the past week owing to the death of the former's grandmother.

11 Mar 1921:

Earl Charles Waite was born March 31st, 1899, near Pulaski, Pulaski County, Illinois.  His death occurred at the Lutheran Hospital, St. Louis, Mo., March 7th, at 4:30 a.m., age 21 years, 11 months and 7 days.

He received his education at the schools of the following named places:  Mound City, Marion, Galesburg, Mounds and Lebanon, Illinois; Hannibal and Fulton, Mo.  His high school education was completed at Mounds, where he graduated in Class of 1919, Mounds Township High School.  Enlistment was made by him into the U. S. Army during the World War and military training received at Fulton, Mo., as a member of the Student's Army Training Camp at that place.  At the time of his death he was engaged in a preparatory medical course at McKendree College.

He was christianed into the church in early childhood and was a member of the Arch Street Methodist Church of Hannibal, Mo.  His life was an exemplary one of true devotion and self-sacrifice to his family, his many friends, and the attainment of noble aims to which he aspired.

There are left to mourn his death, his father, mother, three brothers, and other relatives and numerous friends.


William Roscoe Ranney, the only son of A. J. and Jane Ranney, was born about two miles north of Grand Chain, Ill., May 18, 1859.  His mother died when he was about six months old and he was then raised by his grandmother Youngblood and his aunt, Mrs. Eliza Bartleson.  He was raised on a farm and was himself a farmer.  He sold his farm and moved to Grand Chain, perhaps, about three years ago.

On August 30, 1874, he was united in marriage with Miss Tennie Batts.  Unto them were born two sons, Elmo and Archie J. and five daughters, Mamie E., Fannie M., Jesse, Ruth and Essie.  His wife and all their children, but Essie, preceded him to the spirit land.  He has four grandchildren.

Brother Ranney was married the second time to Mrs. Martha Leidigh, on May 2, 1898, nearly 23 years ago.  In his newly formed home, he had one stepson, Walter Leidigh.  His son, Archie J. served his country as a solder, and was killed in China, and was brought here for burial.  His daughter, Essie, is in Washington, but Ruth, with family, is here today.  At the age of 27 years, he was baptized into Christ on April 3, 1876, nearly 44 years ago.  He enjoyed the glorious hope of eternal life in Christ, from the time his conversion until the time of his death.  One week ago yesterday morning, I saw him visiting the sick Uncle Aaron, and Uncle Pres. and on his way to get medicine for his wife.  He had at different times, symptoms of apoplexy and after eating dinner and supper on Tuesday of last week, he had a stroke that paralyzed his left side, and in nearly six days terminated his life.  At 5:15 p.m. on March 7th, in the twilight of the evening, he fell asleep in Jesus to rest until he is awakened by the trump of God, and the voice of the archangel, when Christ shall come with all his holy angels to gather all nations before him in the judgment of the great day.

He leaves his relatives and friends to mourn his departure from them, but to be consoled by his glorious hope of eternal life in Christ.  He lived in this world 71 years, 9 months and 19 days.

Reminds of the Scripture—“The hoary head of a crown of glory, if it be found in the way of righteousness."

(William R. Ranney married Tenney Batts on 30 Aug 1874, in Pulaski Co., Ill.  William Roscoe Ranney married Mrs. Mariah Leidigh on 2 May 1899, in Pulaski Co., Ill.  Walter L. Leidigh married Mariah Morris on 13 Aug 1893, in Pulaski Co., Ill.  His marker in Grand Chain Masonic Cemetery reads:  W. R. Ranney 1849-1921.—Darrel Dexter)

Mrs. Ruth Rich and baby of Oklahoma, was called here by the serious illness and death of her father, W. R. Ranney.  (Grand Chain)

Quite a number attended the funeral of the late H. Calvin at Olmsted Monday.  (Grand Chain)

Mr. and Mrs. Johnson were called to Karnak on account of the death of their little grandchild.  (Cross Roads)


Grand Chain had a double funeral Tuesday afternoon, when two of its old residents, both native of this county, and within three months of the same age, was conducted at the Christian church, conducted by Rev. Freeman.  Both were in their 72nd year and lived their entire life in Pulaski County.  They were laid away in the Grand Chain Cemetery as friends who had learned to esteem them.

The two men were William R. Ranney and Pres. Billingsley.  The former died Monday evening at 5:15 o'clock, the other Tuesday morning at 3:00 o'clock, both having been ill for several months.

Mr. Ranney leaves a widow and two married daughters, one in Washington, D.C. and the other residing in Anna, ill.  Mr. Billingsly also leaves a widow and two daughters.

The double funeral services were held at 2 p.m. Tuesday.  The church was packed with interested friends and their bodies were both lowered and covered in the grave at the same time.

By request the families desire to extend many thanks to all who in any way aided the bereaved families during the sickness in the funeral services.

Conductor Drops Dead

Henry Goings, 50 years old, who has served on the Cairo division of the Big Four Railroad for 27 years, dropped dead as the train on which he was conductor reached Harrisburg Tuesday.  His death was caused by heart disease.


Earl Charles Waite, age 21, while attending McKendree College at Lebanon (taking a preparatory medical course) was taken ill with appendicitis and last Monday at 4:30 a.m. in a Lutheran hospital in St. Louis succumbed to an operation.  He was the eldest son (of four) of Mr. and Mrs. Charles O. Waite, who reside near Villa Ridge, and in addition to his parents, three brothers and a host of other relatives and friends mourn his death.  The body was brought to the home Monday and on Wednesday at 1:30 funeral services were held at the Rose Hill Church.  Rev. J. B. Cummins of this city conducting the services.  Interment in Rose Hill Cemetery.

Deceased was a graduate of the Mounds High School and was a studious young man, being industrious and exemplary in his habits and associations.

"Uncle" Henry Wright, an aged colored man, 77 years to be exact, died Saturday, after a lingering illness of several weeks.  Interment in Beech Grove Cemetery.


We wish to thank our many friends for the kindness and sympathy shown us during the illness and death of our husband and father.  Also for beautiful flowers.
Mrs. W. R. Ranney
Mrs. Ruth Rich
Mrs. Essie Watson


Hiram Calvin, a prominent farmer, banker and capitalist, died suddenly Saturday afternoon at his home in Olmstead of acute gastric indigestion, being ill only a few days, his demise was a shock to the community.  Mr. Calvin was born in Ohio, May 31, 1854, and at the time of his death was 66 years, 9 months and 5 days of age.  He retired from active farming about ten years ago and with his family removed to Olmstead, where he has since resided and devoted his attention to his various business interest of which he had many.  His wife, who was Miss Gussie Boren, died very suddenly five years ago the 15th of this month.  Four children, three daughters and one son, survive him, namely, Mrs. George Schuler, of Mounds; Mrs. A. Reichert, of Grand Chain, Mrs. E. H. Hogendobler, of Olmsted, and Bert Calvin, of Levings.  Also a number of grandchildren.

The funeral services were held from the home of his daughter, Mrs. H. M. Hogdendobler at 2:00 Monday afternoon.  Rev. Corzine of Cairo conducting the services.  Interment in Calvin Cemetery, G. A. James, of this city, being the funeral director in charge.

Both banks in this city were closed during the funeral services in respect of the deceased and many from here attended the funeral obsequies.

(Hiram Calvin married Gussie Boren on 24 Jan 1883, in Pulaski Co., Ill.  His marker in Calvin-Barber Cemetery reads:  Hiram Calvin Born May 31, 1864 Died March 5, 1921.  Gussie Calvin Born Jan. 29, 1854 Died March 15, 1916.—Darrel Dexter)

Friday, 18 March 1921:

Preston Billingsley was born at the old town, on the Ohio River, east of America, about March 16, 1849.  He grew up and spent his whole life in Pulaski County, here within a few miles of his birthplace.
He spent most of his life at work on the farm, but at times he engaged in grocery store and restaurant keeping.  On the 30th day of March 1871, he was united in marriage to Miss Dorcas Ann Smith, by Esq. Bagby.  Unto them were born ten children, five sons and five daughters, seven of his children preceded him to the spirit land, and only three of them are now living.  They are Thomas J. and Mrs. Edith M. Rich, of Mounds, Ill., and Mrs. Stella May Bartleson, of Ozark, Ark.  He has thirteen grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.  He has one nephew, Mrs. James Billingsley, who has been a great help and comfort to him.  Many years ago he became interested in the Christian religion and started to become a member of the U. B. Church, but did not quite do so.  He had read all of the New Testament through carefully and a part of the Old Testament, but he continued for nearly all of his life, in the broad way that leads to destruction, even for some weeks after he took sick, but during which time he seriously thought over the way he was doing, in view of the judgment of the great day.  It became known to us that he was anxious to obey his Savior by being baptized.  Accordingly, on February 2, 1921, with the assistance of some brethren, we baptized him in water, in bathtub in his house, after which he was happy in his Savior, who said in Mark 16:16, "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved.”

After that, everything he ever said to me elucidated that, if it was the Lord's will for him not to get well, he was willing to go and be at home with the Lord.

After he had been confined to his bed for about four months, and after a profound sleep which lasted about thirty-four hours, he fell asleep in Jesus on March 8, 1921, at 9:10 a.m.  From this slumber he will be awakened by the voice of the archangel and the trump of God, when Christ shall come to judge the world.

Brother Billingsly lived in this world 71 years, 11 months and 22 days.

He leaves his relatives and friends to mourn his departure from them, but to be sustained and consoled by his glorious hope of eternal life in Christ.

(Preston Billingsly married Dorcas Smith on 30 Mar 1871, in Pulaski Co., Ill.  His marker in Grand Chain Masonic Cemetery reads:  Preston Billingsley Born March 15, 1849 Died March 8, 1921.—Darrel Dexter)

Harold Littlejohn, the youngest son of Samuel Littlejohn, and who was recently bereaved in the death of his mother, will make his home with his uncle, and aunt, Mr. and Mrs. H. A. Mason.

Mrs. Edward Dunn and daughter, Mary, were called to Vienna Wednesday on account of the death of the former’s mother, Mrs. Stout.

Mrs. Waite Stricken

County Clerk Walter Waite was called to the bedside of his aged mother, Mrs. Sophronia Waite, who suffered a paralytic stroke Tuesday afternoon, while at her home near Olmsted.  She is in her 73rd year, and her entire right side hAs become useless and unable to speak.  Dr. B. A. Royal is attending her.

Friday, 25 Mar 1921

We wish to thank our many friends and neighbors for their kindness and sympathy shown us during the illness and death of our father.  Also for the beautiful flowers.
Mrs. George Schuler
Mrs. E. A. Reichert
R. C. Calvin
Mrs. E. C. Hogendobler

Friday, 1 April 1921:
Maud Evangeline Henson was the only child of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Henson, of near Grand Chain, Ill.  She was born February 29, 1919, and lived in this world, like a rose without a thorn for one year and twenty-five days.  On account of whooping cough and pneumonia, she died March 24th at 6:45 p.m.
The funeral was preached by the Rev. C. W. Evermen, at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, March 26th, 1921.
By request of the family, we extend their thanks to all who in any way assisted them in their days of sickness and sorrow.

A stillborn infant of Mr. and Mrs. Claud Minner was born Monday night and the funeral services were held at Beech Grove Cemetery.  Rev. J. B. Cummings officiating.


Mr. and Mrs. W. W. Hough received a paper from Q. A. McCracken, of New Albany, Ind., and in it was related the fatality of Clay Parker, a former resident of this city.  Mr. Parker's home in Mesa, Ariz., caught afire and burned down, and he was fatally burned.  The full particulars were not given and as to just how it happened is unobtainable.  Mr. Parker while residing here was station agent at the Illinois Central Depot and was well known.

(The 15 Apr 1921, issue stated that the report of his death was false.—Darrel Dexter)

Friday, 8 Apr 1921:
Will Be Shipped Home and Given a Military Burial—Was Killed in Action September, 1918

Mr. and Mrs. James Cannon received a message Tuesday stating that the body of their son, Frank, would arrive in New York Friday (April 9th).  Frank Cannon was with the 50th Division, Company G, 119 infantry, and was killed while in action Sept. 29th, 1918.  This was in the famous drive against the Hindenburg line, and was turning point in the world war.  Arthur Betts and Herschel Scott were two Mound City boys who were in this same campaign and Scott was taken prisoner during this engagement.
As to the further arrangements of the body of Cannon, we are unable to learn, but suffice to say that it will be brought here and given a military funeral.

Friday, 15 Apr 1921:
The body of Frank Cannon, who died overseas, is expected to arrive here Saturday and a military burial will be given the deceased.  The remains were to leave Hoboken today.

False Report as to Death

Mrs. A. Y. Beaupre received a letter from her son, Albert, and he stated it is an error as to the death of Clay Parker, as recently reported.  He states that Clay is located at Hayden, Arizona, and is in the employ of the Eastern Arizona Railroad.

Clarence Salley received a message Saturday announcing the critical illness of his father, Dr. E. A. Salley, of Augusta, Ga.  He is suffering from a stroke of paralysis.  The son left immediately to be at his bedside.


James Painter and sister-in-law Mrs. Will Painter went to Champaign Saturday, being called there by the serious illness of their sister, Miss Clara Painter.

Mrs. James Painter received a message from Champaign Wednesday stating that Miss Painter passed away.


David S. Ritchie, age 62 years, died at his home in this city, Saturday night.  Born in Louisville, Ky., but came to this city several years ago, being employed at the Marine Ways.  He is survived by a wife and one brother, the latter residing in Louisville.  Deceased was a member of Lomain Lodge No. 4 I. O. O. F. and the Ship Carpenters Union of this city.  Funeral services were held from the home Monday afternoon.  Rev. J. B. Cummins assisted by members of the Odd Fellows Lodge were in charge of the funeral services.  Interment in Beech Grove Cemetery.  G. A. James was in charge.

Obituary of Sister H. R. Meeks
Edith Chapel A. M. E. Church, Pulaski

Mrs. Hannah Rosetta Redmon Meeks was born January 1st, 1860, in Grand Glage, Ark., departed this life April 17, 1921.  Her father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. Altimore Redman, who were her parents, death claimed them and left her at an early age to be adopted by her aunt, Mrs. Rosetta Watson, under whom by her own willpower received her education and taught her first school in 1883.  She labored four years in this profession before and four years after she became united in happy wedlock to Mr. Moses J. Meeks, Oct. 5, 1886, and to this union were born three children, two sons and one daughter, Floyd Webster Meeks, who preceded her to the great beyond, Mrs. Inez Meeks Mosely and Erwin J. Meeks.

She professed a hope in Christian religion when she was but 13 year old at Muscatine, Iowa, thus about 48 years of her life was spent in the service of God and the development of his kingdom.  She was a lovable, faithful and untiring servant for the Lord, though in her last days, which were mingled with nervous prostration and physical weakness, she never gave up and always would say, seeing her days here were growing few, “I am trusting in the Lord.”  She leaves to mourn her absence, a husband, and other relatives and a host of friends.
"Soldier of Christ well done,

Rest from thy loved employ.
The battle fought, the victory won,

Enter then my master's joy.”

Remains of Mound City Hero Returned from France
Private Frank Cannon
Company G—119 Infantry 30th Division
Killed in Action September 29th, 1918

Trained in the pursuits of peace, loving home, hating war, but shirking no duty or responsibility of citizenship, Frank Cannon, the younger son of James and Elizabeth Cannon, responded at the first opportunity when his country called to the colors.  He sought no easy path nor did he shrink from any of the necessary hazards of war.  A true patriot, a real American and a hero who "did his bit" in carrying the stars and stripes over the shell-swept, blood-soaked, field of Flanders into enemy territory.  It was this sort of red-blooded strong-hearted, brave young men from the great Republic overseas that crumbled the autocratic thrones of Europe and caused this Government and its Army to become the envy of the world.
It was in the bloody Argonne where the enemy was making its last desperate effort to sustain the Hindenburg Line that Private Cannon with thousands of his comrades made the supreme sacrifice.

The body arrived here Saturday and on Sunday afternoon services were held at St. Mary's Catholic Church where practically the whole population of Mound City and vicinity assembled to pay their respects.  After church services the cortege moved to the National Cemetery where the body was lowered to its final resting place with appropriate religious rites and military ceremony.
Requiescat in Pace

(Frank Cannon, Private U. S. Army, died 29 Sep 1918, and was buried in Section F, grave 4964L in Mound City National Cemetery.—Darrel Dexter)

Friday, 29 Apr 1921:

Dear Little Lois, the beloved daughter of Mrs. and Mr. Thomas Eddleman, was born January 26th, 1919.  Departed this life April 24th, 1921.  Little Lois lived in the world 2 years, 2 months and 23 days.  She leaves to mourn her loss a father, mother, two sisters, one brother, two grandmothers, and a number of other relatives and a host of friends.  She was a bright and loving baby, just like the flowers that bloom, and God sent his death angel to carry her over the chilly waters of death to dwell in the beautiful prepared for her in heaven.  The grieved parents have the heartfelt sympathy of their many friends who assisted them with flower offerings toward the death of their dear little babe.  May God in Heaven bless them and keep them from all sin and when they enter the gold gate may the angels let them in.  The funeral services were conducted by Rev. Robert Smith of Boaz, the remains were laid to rest in the Ohio Chapel Cemetery.

(Her marker in Ohio Chapel Cemetery reads:  Lois Eddleman Born Jan. 26, 1919 Died April 29, 1921.—Darrel Dexter)


John Freeman, colored, who in January 29, 1911, killed Lewis Jackson at Grand Chain, received an indeterminate sentence of from 1 to 14 years for manslaughter in the circuit court this week.  Freeman had been a fugitive for ten years.  Often when about located, he would evade the officers and go to new territory.  It was in February of this year that Deputy James Wilson located him at Canton, Ohio, and there secured the fugitive for which a $200 reward had been offered by the state.

Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Eddleman lost their youngest child recently with diphtheria.  (Grand Chain)

Joe Canage was called to Belleville this week on account of the death of a nephew.  (Grand Chain)


The infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John C. Miller died Sunday afternoon.  The remains were taken to Wickliffe, Ky., Monday, where burial took place.

Friday, 6 May 1921:
Several attended the J. P. Miller funeral at Mt. Pisgah Cemetery whose remains were sent home from France.  (Perks Precinct)

(His marker in Mt. Pisgah Cemetery reads:  In memory of John Perry Miller, Co. G, 119th Inft., 30 Div., Born Dec. 15, 1893, Killed in action in France Oct. 18, 1918.—Darrel Dexter)

The body of Perry Miller, who died overseas, was buried in Mt. Pisgah Church.  (Bryan)

Friday, 13 May 1921:

Mrs. Katherine Gould, whose death occurred in Saskatchewan, Canada, on May 2, was buried at Villa Ridge Sunday, services being held at the Methodist church, conducted by Rev. C. W. Campbell.  The church was filled with her many friends and neighbors.

Mrs. Gould was a native of __rth Ontario, where she was born on Aug. 23, 1839.  She was married to William Gould on April 5, 1859, and in 1889 moved with their family to Villa Ridge, where they made their home until 1910.  She was the mother of nine children, two of whom died in infancy.  Surviving are Rich__ and Abel, living in Ontario, Mrs. Edward Endicott and George of Saskatchewan; Mrs. Amy ___l, Mrs. C. W. Endicott, and James Gould in Villa Ridge.

Mrs. Gould joined the Methodist Church early in life and her __e was one where religious influence governed.

(Edgar C. Endicott married Sarah L. Gould on 1 Dec 1891, in Pulaski Co., Ill.  James Gould, son of William Gould and Katherine Wright, married Georgian Endicott on 31 Jan 1900, in Pulaski Co., Ill.  Her marker in Cairo City Cemetery at Villa Ridge reads:  Catherine Gould 1839-1921  William Gould 1827-1902.—Darrel Dexter)

Friday, 20 May 1921:
Mrs. D. D. Harris was bereaved Saturday in the death of her father, Thomas Jones, who died at his home in Dongola.

(David D. Harris, Jr., married Ellen A. Jones on 26 Jan 1898, in Pulaski Co., Ill.  His marker in Friendship Cemetery near Dongola reads:  Thomas Jones Born Sept. 9, 1842 Died May 14, 1921 Aged 78 Yrs., 8 Mos., & 5 Dys.  Sweet the sleep our father takes Till in Christ Jesus he wakes.  Then will his happy soul rejoice To hear his blessed Savior’s voice.—Darrel Dexter)

Death of Two Old Residents

Mrs. Henry Fritz, who had been ill for three years with cancer, died at her home in Villa Ridge, Wednesday, May 11.  She was 69 years of age and leaves a daughter, Meda, the one son.  Funeral services were held Friday.  Burial in Villa Ridge Cemetery.

Alley Briscoe, age 71 years, died at her home on Main Street Sunday, May 15, and the funeral was held Monday, interment taking place in Beech Grove Cemetery, the services being conducted by the pastor of the Church of God.  Deceased leaves a husband.  Undertaker G. A. James was in charge of both burials.

(Henry Fritz married Mrs. Julia A. Henry, daughter of William Henry and Eliza Burgess, on 11 Sep 1882, in Union Co., Ill.  John A. Evans married Julia Ann Henry on 3 Mar 1872, in Union Co., Ill.  Her marker in Cairo City Cemetery at Villa Ridge reads:  Julia A. Fritz 1852-1921.—Darrel Dexter)

Friday, 27 May 1921:

Private James Boyd Metcalf, serial no. 414, Army number 1757669, Co. C, 147th Inf., 37th Division, second child of Otho and Lottie Metcalf (both deceased) was born Feb. 11, 1896.

He enlisted at Mound City, Ill., April 29, 1918, just three months from the time of his father's death.  He was sent to Camp Dix, but being undersize for the requirements of this camp, he was transferred to Camp Lee, here the remained only a short time, landing in France on July 12, just three months and thirteen days from the date of his enlistment.

His last letter to home folks dated Oct. 27, 1918, stated that he had been in a hard drive Sept. 26-27 and had been in the hospital three weeks, but was OK again.

Four days from the date of this letter he was against the front and fell fighting.  The message announcing his death to his family, received Nov. 30, stated that he was killed in action Oct. 31, 1918.  This was only 6 months and 2 days from date of his enlistment.

The body was buried in East Flanders, near the place where he was killed.
Later it was disinterred and buried in Grave No. 27, Plot C, American Military Cemetery, No. 1252, Waeregham West Flanders, France.

The body was again disinterred brought home and buried in the family cemetery at Ohio Chapel near Grand Chain, Ill., U. S. A.

Rev. Robert Smith conducted the funeral services.

(A marriage license was issued for Otho M. Metcalf and Lottie Gray on 20 Jul 1893, in Pulaski Co., Ill.  His marker in Ohio Chapel Cemetery reads:  James Boyd Metcalf Died Oct. 31, 1918 Pvt. 147th Inf. 37 Div.—Darrel Dexter)


Mrs. Armand Cummings, age __ years, died at her home in ___ Street, Saturday night.  She had been ill since December with ___dice.  Funeral service was held Sunday afternoon at 3 p.m. at the Baptist Church, Rev. Azbil of the Calvary Baptist Church conducting the service.

The remains were taken to __ug Monday morning by Undertaker G. A. James.

Friday, 3 Jun 1921:
Crushed Skull and Fractured Collar Bone.

E. V. House, 56 years old, died at his home Wednesday evening at 9:45 o'clock from injuries received when he fell through the elevator shaft of the Sears-Nichols Canning Company.  At 3:00 o'clock Wednesday afternoon Mr. House was loading the elevator with canned goods and while he turned for more, the elevator was sent to the third floor.  He fell from the second floor to the basement, crushing his skull and fracturing his collar bone in two places.  He is survived by his wife and three children, two sons, Bernie and Kenneth, of this city, and Mrs. Harry Rutledge of Marion, Ill. Mr. House had been employed at the canning factory for a number of years and was a valued employee.

The funeral services will be held this afternoon at 2 o'clock from the residence of the deceased Rev. Joel Burgess will conduct the services assisted by the choir of the Pilgrim Congregational Church.  The interment taking place in Beech Grove Cemetery.  The canning plant closed down in respect to the deceased.

Friday 10 Jun 1921:


We desire to thank our many friends for their kindness and sympathy shown us during the death of our beloved husband and father, also those who used their cars and sent the beautiful flowers.
Mrs. E. V. House
Mr. and Mrs. Harry Rutledge
Bernie and Kenneth House

Mr. and Mrs. Luther Carter and son motored to Belknap Sunday where they attended the funeral  the oldest resident  Belknap, the late Je Kane.  (Grand Chain)


Mrs. Masy M. Gibson, a highly esteemed colored woman dropped dead Tuesday afternoon in the upper part of the city.  She left a husband and five children.  Funeral services were held Thursday with burial in Beechwood Cemetery.


Margaret Campbell, age 10, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ben Campbell, died Thursday morning after a short illness of three days.  Funeral services were held at 10 o'clock this morning.  Rev. J. B. Cummings conducted the services.

Friday, 17 Jun 1921:
Joe Canage has returned from Belleville where he was called last week by the death of one of his relatives.  (Grand Chain)

Roy and George Britt attended the funeral of Mrs. Pryor of Tamms Sunday.


Frank Mathies, a colored lad, was drowned Monday morning in the chute just above the town.  He and several companions were in swimming and it was while they all were having a good time when suddenly Mathies disappeared.  The others at once reported the absence of Mathies, and after several hours of fishing with lines and poles, the body was located near the tank.  Mathies was 17 years of age and was a son of Pearl Davis, the colored woman who is known to everyone in this city and surrounding territory.  The funeral was held Wednesday afternoon with burial in Beech Grove Cemetery.


The infant son of Mr. and Mrs. J. B. Delony, which was born on Thursday, died Friday morning and the body was interred in Beechwood Cemetery.

Friday, 24 Jun 1921:
Former Resident Dies in the St. Louis

A notice of the death of John L. Cordingly,  former resident of Mound City, has just been received.  He died on June 13th, 1921, age 89 years, at the home of his granddaughter, Mrs. John Curren, of St. Louis, with whom he has lived for the past few years.  He was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1830, and moved to Mound City in the early fifties.  One daughter, Mrs. Mary E. Pollard, of St. Louis, and one son, George V. Cordingly, of Chicago, survive him.  According to his wish and will, his body was cremated at the Missouri cemetery.  His son was not present.

Friday, 1 Jul 1921:
Prominent Business Man and Loyal Citizen Passes Away at Home of Brother in Cairo Friday Night

Michael F. Murphy, who had been ill for several months, died last Friday night at the home of his brother, Edward Murphy, at 213 Twentieth Street, Cairo.

He had received a medical treatment from a number of specialists, but to no avail, and the end of his suffering came Friday night.  He had been suffering for several months with a tumor, but until a few weeks ago was at his store each day and was downtown Wednesday.

Mr. Murphy leaves a sister, Mrs. Jane Price, three brothers, Patrick and Martin, of Levings, Ill., and Edward, of Cairo.  Until recently, Mr. Murphy was in business in Mound City, where the conducted a grocery store, and later a dry goods establishment.  He then embarked in the dry goods business in Cairo last September and was among the prominent merchants of that city.

The funeral was held Sunday afternoon at St. Mary's Catholic Church, conducted by Father Feeney.  

Automobiles left the residence in Cairo at 1:30 for Mound City.  The cortege leaving the church for Villa Ridge, where interment took place in Calvary Cemetery.  Deceased was a member of the Elks and the Knights of Columbus and there was a large turnout of friends of the deceased at the funeral and burial.

(William R. Price married Jennie M. Murphy on 16 May 1900, in Alexander Co., Ill.  Accompanying the obituary in the newspaper is a photograph of the deceased.)

Mrs. Anna Wallis, age 30, wife of B. E. Wallis, died Saturday at 3:20 p.m. at her home in South Mounds after a lingering illness of tuberculosis.  The remains were shipped to Mayfield, Ky., where interment took place in Chapel Hill Cemetery.  A husband and three children, who survive the deceased have the sympathy of the entire community.

Death of Infant Son

James Frederick Brooks, the 11-month-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Jesse W. Brooks, died at 6:30 Tuesday after a 10-day illness.  The body was prepared for burial and taken to Barlow Tuesday afternoon and on Wednesday the body was laid to rest in the cemetery near that place.  Mr. and Mrs. Brooks have the sympathy of the neighbors in their sad bereavement.

Friday, 8 Jul 1921:
Everett Farmer and wife, of Arkansas, will arrive this month to visit friends and relatives in their childhood home here.  Mr. Farmer, whose death was reported several years ago, is very much alive, as his coming visit will prove.  He will be remembered as the eldest son of the late Mrs. ___es Stephenson.  (Grand Chain)

Villa Ridge Lady Dies

Margaret Frances Castle was born April 16, 1844, at Piqua, Ohio, and departed this life July 3, 1921.
She removed to Greenville, Ill., with her parents when an infant and in 1865 moved to Villa Ridge Ill., where she resided the rest of her life.

She was married on April 9, to Lewis Nelson Redden, who died April 18, 1905.  To this union four children were born:  Otis Winans, of Decatur, Ala., David Milton of Detroit, Mich., Mrs. L. E. Endicott, and Mrs. J. A. Hogendobler, of Villa Ridge.

One sister, Mrs. Sarah E. Hubbard, is the sole surviving member of the Castle family of five sisters and one brother.

(Lewis Redden married Margrett F. Castle on 9 Apr 1867, in Pulaski Co., Ill.  Louis E. Endicott married Martha E. Redden on 20 Dec 1899, in Pulaski Co., Ill.  Albert Hubbard married Sarah Castle on 28 Aug 1866, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)

Friday, 15 Jul 1921:
Mrs. Grace Smith who came to attend the funeral of her aunt, Mrs. Margaret Redden, has returned to her home in Greenville.  (Villa Ridge)

Mrs. Harriet Finn Succumbs After Long Illness—Former Resident and Acquaintance Pass Away

Mrs. Harriet Finn, age 81 years, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Adrian Schneider on Monday morning of general debility, having been ill for some time.  Deceased was one of our oldest residents and made her home with her daughter.  She leaves besides her daughter, Mrs. Mary Schneider, three grandchildren, namely Mrs. John Starks, of Thebes, William, of Cleveland, and Charles, of this city.  Funeral services were conducted from the home Tuesday afternoon at 2:30  Rev. J. B. Cummins officiating.  Interment taking place in Beech Grove Cemetery.

Harriet Anne Reed was born near Olmstead, Ill., April 23rd, 1840.  She lived the most of her life in the vicinity of her birth.

She was united in marriage to Thomas Finn in June 1868, to this union six children were born.  She united with the Christian Church at the age of 16 years, remained a member of the church until the day of her death.  Her husband preceded her to the great beyond about 42 years ago.

Since her husband's death she has spent the greater part of her life with her only surviving daughter, Mrs. Schneider, with whom she made her home for a number of years.

She was a quiet, unassuming woman, always patient and faithful in all the tasks of life.  She was a kind and loving mother and grandmother and will be greatly missed because of her patience and love which she always expressed.

She leaves to mourn her loss, one brother, John C. Reed, of Grand Chain, one sister Mrs. White, of East St. Louis, one daughter, Mary F. Schneider, of Mound City, Ill., three grandchildren, Charles and William Schneider and Mrs. Marjorie Starks and a host of friends.

(Adrin Schneider married Mary Ellen Finn on 19 Jul 1892, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)


Mrs. Christine Clements, wife of Col. Isaac Clements, formerly Congressman from this district, later United States Sub Treasurer and who passed the final years of his life as governor of the  Soldiers' Home at Danville, passed to the peace of the fathers on Sunday, July 10th, at 11:00 a.m. at the residence of Mrs. Centers, where she was a constant visitor at the magnificent monument erected to her husband's memory at the Soldiers' Cemetery.  Her courtesy was perfect, her charities and real motive of her life.

She leaves surviving her, Mr. Frank Clements, of Carbondale, Dr. Robert and Louis Clements of Danville, Louis as the wife of the former Miss Blanch Hogan, is well known and equally well liked in Mound City and Cairo.


Samuel H. Tripp, age 42, a telegraph operator at Ballard Junction, died Saturday after several days' illness.  The body was taken to Cobden Monday for burial.  Mr. Tripp was for a brief time agent at the Illinois Central station in the city and became quite well known to many of our residents.

(His marker in Cobden Cemetery reads:  Samuel H. Tripp Born Feb. 10, 1879 Died July 9, 1921.  Julia E. Tripp Born Oct. 4, 1877 Died Nov. 28, 1979.—Darrel Dexter)

Community Is Shocked to Learn of the Sudden Demise of W. B. Harris, Who Left Here Wednesday.

William Harris, age 62 years, of Cairo, died on a Chicago & Northwestern train Wednesday, being en route to Rochester, Minn., where he was to visit a nephew who is under treatment at Mayo Bros. Institute.  The body was removed from the train at Barrington, Ill., where an inquest was held at that place.

Heart trouble made acute by the intense heat is presumably the cause of his death.  The body was brought to the home of his brother, D. D. Harris, in this city, and from the home the funeral will be held.  Besides his brother, he leaves a sister, Mrs. R. D. McFarland, of Graham, Texas, who is expected to arrive to attend the funeral.

Mr. Harris was born in Independence, Mo., Feb. 15, 1855, and came to Mound City with his father when a lad.  He was a printer by trade and had been employed in nearly all of the offices in Cairo, for the past 40 years, but of late was ad man on The Bulletin.  He was a charter member of the local union and was held in high esteem by all his fellow craftsmen.

Death Angel Visits Home of Young Mother

Death in any form or from whatever result brings sadness to our homes, but in the death of Mrs. Gladys Winifred Miller, who passed away Wednesday evening at 7:15 p.m. brings unusual bereavement.  Deceased became a mother of a fine girl some two weeks ago and from the ordeal never gained strength enough to leave her bed.  She was the wife of Ralph Miller and the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. W. Devore and was 24 years of age.  She leaves, besides her infant daughter, her husband and parents, all of whom have the sympathy of the entire community.  She was a member of St. Mary’s Catholic Church and the Rev. Father Feeney will conduct the services.

(Andrew Devore married May Seawell on 10 Jun 1896, in Pulaski Co., Ill.  Her marker in St. Mary’s Catholic Cemetery reads:  Gladys Winifred wife of Ralph Miller Born March 11, 1897 Died July 13, 1921.—Darrel Dexter)


Sophia Jane Benton Dies at Age of 67 Years

Sophia J. Benton, age 67, died at 10:30 Wednesday night at her home in this city.  She was the widow of Henry Benton, deceased, and had been a resident of this city for 29 years.  She leaves a daughter, Mrs. William Powers, of Bush, Ill.  Edward Armstrong, who now resides in Chicago, is a grandson of the deceased.

Friday, 22 Jul 1921:
Mr. Sim Nally went to Buncombe to attend his brother-in-law's funeral.  (Perks)

A number of people attended the funeral of Mrs. Sadie West at Belknap last Saturday.  (Karnak)

Friday, 29 Jul 1921:
Quite a crowd from here (Bryan) attend the funeral of Otis Turbeyville at Rose Hill Sunday.

(His marker in Rose Hill Cemetery at Pulaski reads:  Otis A. Turbaville 1892-1918.—Darrel Dexter)

J. Earl Hillerich, of Memphis, visited here for a brief time last week, with his parents and various other friends.  He had been called to Cairo on account of the death of his father-in-law, Charles Walmer.

Called to a Double Funeral

G. A. James and family returned Wednesday from Lawrenceville, where they had been in attendance at the funeral of the mother and brother of Mr. James. Mrs. William James, the mother, passed away at Summerville, Mo., last Thursday after a siege of heart dropsy, and the brother, Wiley James, was drowned at Cushing, Okla., while he was endeavoring to rescue a man from drowning.  Mr. James received messages of both of the deaths within 35 minutes of each other and immediately left for his mother's home which he reached with some difficulty.  The bodies were both shipped to Lawrenceville, Ill., and the funeral services held Wednesday morning, the mother being buried in a cemetery near Sumner, Ill. and the brother near Lawrenceville.  This double bereavement was a very trying ordeal for Mr. James, as it required most of his time to reach his mother and arrange the burial, as well as to escort the body of his brother home from St. Louis.

Friday, 5 Aug 1921:
Charles Richardson Passes Away

Charles J. Richardson, known by his fellow workman as "Spot," died Sunday evening at 6 p.m. in this city, after an illness of several months with brain trouble.  He was 38 years of age and leaves a widow and two children, Lucille and Eva.  Also survived by his parents, a brother, George, of this city, and two sisters, Mrs. Lille Watts, of Jacksonville, Ill., and Mrs. Thomas Masterson, of this city.  Deceased was employed at the Marine Ways and was well liked by his associates.

Funeral services were held Wednesday afternoon at 1:30 o’clock from St. Peter's Episcopal Church.  The rector of Cairo conducting the services.  Burial in Beech Grove Cemetery.

Mrs. Lily Watts, of Jacksonville, a sister of the deceased, and Guy Reed, of Kennett, Mo., a brother of Mrs. Richardson, were in attendance at the funeral.

Friday, 12 Aug 1921:
Double Funeral

There was a double funeral held Sunday from the Main Street Baptist Church over the remains of Mrs. James Hart, age 58, and Mrs. Lucinda Marr, age 51.  Deceased were highly respected colored women and been ill for several days.  There was a large concourse of friends in attendance at the church service and at the interment in Beech Grove Cemetery.

Devoted Wife, Kind Mother and Friend to All Enjoyed Her Acquaintance; Mourned by a Host of Neighbors and Relatives.

Elsie Gertrude Bartleson was the youngest child of Captain James Bartleson and Sarah ___ his wife.  She was born at the old Bartleson homestead near Grand Chain, Ill., April 30, 1876 and was the youngest of a family of seven children.  Two brothers, James W. and Fred, and sisters preceded her to the other land.  Her father died about 7 years ago and her mother died 31 years ago.

She became the wife of W. J. Davidson, January 13, 1901, and to that union was born 6 children, 3 girls and 3 boys, and had the reputation of being a hardworking, industrious woman, and who was willing to do well her part in life, striving hard to give her children the best religious and educational and physical training possible.  When she was about 15 years old, she gave her life to the Lord and was buried with him in baptism.  From that time until her death, we believe she kept up the good fight of faith to lay hold on eternal life.

The illness that terminated in her death began about 6 months ago, being confined to her bed for about 4 months, and was practically helpless for about 3 months, enduring her afflictions with great patience.

Under all her trials and perplexities, she may have said or done some improper things, but the superintendent, who stood by to hear her last words tells us that she said, "I am gone" and died with the words, "God" and "Lord" on her lips.  Our Lord said, “whosoever cometh to me, I will in no wise cast out." J. 6:37.  She professed to be a Christian for years.

On August 8, 1921, at about __ a.m. Sister Davidson fell asleep in Jesus, having lived in this world 43 years, 3 months and __ days.  She leaves to mourn her departure, her beloved husband, 5 children, one sister, Mrs. Heacock, of San Francisco, Cal., one brother, George G. Bartleson, of Grand Chain and many good friends, and all to be consoled by her __ous hope for eternal life in Christ.

The funeral services were conducted by the Rev. C. W. Freeman at 2:00 p.m. August 9th.  It was largely attended and the ___ was L 8:52.  Weep not: he is not dead, but sleepeth.  ___ Fellenstine was at the piano and the singing was good.  Many relatives and friends from a distance were in attendance.—Communicated

(John M. Doty, 21, married Elizie G. Bartleson, 16, on 6 Sep 1894, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)

Friday, 19 Aug 1921:
Several from here (Karnak) attended the funeral of Mrs. Laura Martin, at Belknap on Monday.

Former Residents in Trouble

Residents of this city were shocked to hear of the arrest of the three Jones brothers, Ivey, Jessie and Orville Jones, sons of Mr. and Mrs. John H. Jones, who are in jail charged with the murder of two police officers, who were shot down in a daring attempt to rob the paymaster at the Ford plant in Memphis last week.

Mr. and Mrs. Jones, formerly resided in this city some twenty years ago, and were a highly respected family, this city being also the birthplace of two of the boys under arrest, Ivey and Jessie.  Mr. Jones was employed at the old pump factory about the time it was destroyed by fire, later moving to Memphis, where he now resides.

The remains of Virgil Taylor, overseas hero who was wounded in action and later died in a hospital in France, was returned to his home in Mounds, arriving Thursday morning.  Funeral services will be held at the Methodist Church Sunday afternoon and interment will take place in the Beech Grove Cemetery.

Friday, 26 Aug 1921:
The remains of Mrs. Epps, sister of Robert Baker, colored, were brought here (Grand Chain) from Kansas City for interment made in the cemetery on the north side of town. 


Richard Hamilton (colored), age 52 years, died Sunday night after a lingering illness of several weeks.  The body was shipped to Clinton, Ky., for burial by G. A. James, undertaker.


Mrs. Henry Goldsmith, age 76 years, died at her home in this city at 10 o'clock Wednesday morning.  She had been troubled with a stomach ailment for some time.  Deceased leaves five children, three sons, Mason, of Cairo, and Harry and Sam, of Memphis, and two daughters, Mrs. James Fisher, of Memphis, and Miss Belle, of this city, with whom she lived, and a number of grandchildren.  Her husband died several years ago and she and her daughter made their home here, she being a resident of this city for many years.

Funeral services will be conducted at the Episcopal church at 2:30 o'clock Friday afternoon by Rev. Peter Langendorf, who is supplying the pulpit at the Church of the Redeemer in Cairo.  Burial will be at Beech Grove Cemetery.

(Henry Goldsmith married Harriet L. Hardin on 26 Jan 1863, in Pulaski Co., Ill.  James Marvin Fisher married Mary Olive Goldsmith on 28 Dec 1887, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)

Friday, 9 Sep 1921:
Miss Sally Moak died Tuesday morning of tuberculosis.  (Perks)

Remains of Orin Koonce

Mr. and Mrs. L. H. Koonce of Mounds, have received word from the Department of State, that the remains of their son, Orin, killed in France, had arrived in Hoboken, and will be shipped to Mounds for burial as soon as arrangement could be made.

Orin R. Koonce volunteered his service to his country April 30, 1918, joining Co. K, 148 Infantry and crossed the waters a few weeks later.

He was killed in action Sept. 28, 1918.

Arrangements for the funeral will be announced as soon as the date for the arrival of remains is ascertained.


Lee Salmon, 35 years old, was struck by a train on the Big Four Railroad and killed early Saturday morning.  His right foot was severed and his head crushed and a number of bruises about the body.
Salmon left the home of his parents about 9 o'clock Friday night to go down to the river to inspect a gasoline boat which he owned.  He is presumed to have been returning from the boat when he was struck by the train.  Trainmen said they did not see Salmon until after he was hit.

He leaves a wife and four children who reside in Hickman, Ky., a father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. Sam Salmon, of this city, and several brothers and sisters.  He has been here for some time, being employed by his brother, in a garage at Mounds.

His body was found mangled between the shipyards and the trestle over Trinity slough.  The north bound freight train due at about midnight ran 12 cars over his body before it could be stopped.  

Undertaker James took charge of the body and prepared it for burial.  The body being shipped to Hickman where the funeral took place.

Friday, 16 Sep 1921:
His Mother Passes Away

Clarence Ford was bereaved this week in the death of his mother, who passed away at Dongola at midnight Wednesday.  The funeral will be held Saturday.  The son and wife have gone to the home of the mother.

Friday, 23 Sep 1921:
Members of Legion Escort Body to the Final Resting Place—Elaborate Floral Tributes Given

The funeral of Orin R. Koonce, of Mounds, Ill., was held Sunday afternoon at the Congregational church in Mounds, with full military honors.  He was formerly a member of the old K Company of Cairo and was in border service with that company.  He enlisted April 30, 1918, with a detachment of railroad men and took part in many active engagements in France and was killed in action Sept. 28, 1918.

The attendance at the funeral services was exceptionally large with a fine attendance of members of the Winifred Fairfax Warder Chapter of the American Legion, members of which furnished the firing squad.  A large arch covered with flags was placed at the front of the interurban station, thru which the cortege passed going to the church.  Two large floral emblems presented by railroad men who were former companions of Koonce were suspended on the arch.  Many other beautiful floral offerings were sent by others friends.

The pall bearers were members of the American Legion at Mounds as were also the color guards and bugler.

Friday 30 Sep 1921:
Former Resident Dies

Last week word was received from Memphis that A. P. Smith had passed away in that city.  Mr. Smith and family resided here several years ago and was superintendent of the pump factory.

Mrs. James Fisher and daughter Gertrude, who were called here on account of the death of the former's mother, Mrs. Henry Goldsmith, returned to their home in Memphis this week

Young Child Dies

The 16-month-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Harold Bees died last Thursday on the steamer Tra___ at the Marine Ways.  The family who had been living in a tent for several months just beyond the shipyard, the father being out of work, and when illness came to them they were ___en the steamer for better quarters.  The funeral was held ___day and the body interred in Beech Grove Cemetery.

Friday, 7 Oct 1921:
Former Resident Dies

Mayor Browner received a telegram from St. Louis Tuesday announcing the death of Gus Michels.  Mr. Michels was a former citizen of this place and conducted a clothing store in the Phoenix block.

Friday, 21 Oct 1921:
Mrs. George Britt was called to Cairo Monday by the sudden death of her mother, Mrs. Kennedy.  (Bryan)

(George Britt married Ida Kennedy on 9 May 1891, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)

George Walter Victor, only child of H. O. Victor and Mary Walter his wife, was born May 25, 1915.  He was sick only a few days and fell asleep in Jesus about 8 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 15, at the hospital in Cairo.  He was a much beloved child by all who knew him.  He was a scholar in the Christian Sunday school and was enrolled among the pupils in the public school.  He can never return, except in fond memory to his parents, but they can, if they will, go to him.  His child notion was that the Soldiers' Home was in Heaven where they are good to people and expressed a wish that he might go there when he died.  He was the darling in the home of his parents for 6 years, 4 months and 20 days.  We believe he is now at the home with the Lord, which as Paul says, is far better than to be here.  The large was well filled with people to listen to a funeral sermon by Rev. C. W. Freeman at 3 p.m. Sunday Oct. 16.  The bereaved family have the sympathy of all their neighbors and friends.

(His marker in Grand Chain Masonic Cemetery reads:  Walter Victor Born May 25, 1915 Died Oct.15, 1921.—Darrel Dexter)

Aunt Millie Foree Smith, aged colored woman, who has been a helpless invalid for some time, died Sunday afternoon.  (Grand Chain)

Former Resident Dies

John A. Saint, 69 years old, who died at the hospital at Anna Thursday, was buried Sunday at Beech Grove Cemetery at Mounds.  Funeral services were conducted at the grave at 2 o'clock in the afternoon.  Mr. Saint is survived by his son John Saint, of Cairo, and daughter, Mrs. George Childers, of Grand Chain.  Undertaker G. A. James, of this city, conducted the funeral.

(John A. Saint married Sarah C. Lawrence on 19 Oct 1876, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)

Friday, 28 Oct 1921:
Several from here (Bryan) attended the funeral of Mrs. Young at New Hope Sunday.

Prominent in the Medical Business and Political Life of Our Neighboring City of Mounds—Large Funeral

The very sudden death of Dr. Charles James Boswell was a most severe shock to the city of Mounds, the surrounding community and the entire county, which has been received in recent years.  He became ill on Thursday eve, but was some better Friday, and while he was seriously sick it was though not dangerously so, until Saturday morning, when he began to grow worse until Sunday morning at twelve fifteen a.m., when the end came and his soul left all that was mortal behind, and wandered away to that haven of eternal rest where angel's hands strew heavenly flowers and angel voices sing heavenly hymns and troubles are unknown.  Dr. Boswell was born on October 12th, 1876, near Mount Pleasant, in Union County, Illinois.  He was the youngest of two children born of the marriage of John Hogan Boswell, the father, and Lucy Major Boswell, the mother, both of whom have long since passed through the Valley of the Shadow, and crossed the Great Divide that separates mortality from soul, terrestrial from celestial body from spirit.

Being born on a farm, Charlie as he was then called, attended the country school until he was fourteen years of age, when his parents, foreseeing the great promise there was in him, raised the money and sent him for three years to the Southern Illinois Normal University at Carbondale, and immediately upon his return home at the end of the last school year, he entered the Marion Sims College of Medicine, St. Louis (now Washington University) and in March 1895 he graduated with the  highest honors of his class, with the degree of M. D., whereupon he at once took the necessary steps to secure a license to practice in Illinois, and although at the time he was only eighteen years of age, the Board of Health gave him the required license on the grounds he was exceptionally bright, resourceful, and well qualified that the public needed his professional knowledge and skill.  He at once moved to  Mounds and actively entered the practice of medicine and surgery—small in stature, a beardless youth, a mere "lad of a boy" with no money, few clothes, not many books or instruments, but with a well poised mind an indomitable will, a most resourceful mentality, and an aggressive unconquerable soul.  In less than two years, his practice had grown so large and his success so great as to attract the attention of the General Surgeon of the great Illinois Central Railroad system and he was appointed over the heads of many older local surgeons to the office of Division of the Illinois Central Railroad Company, which position he continued to hold for twenty-five years and to the time of this death. In 1906, was appointed a member of the State Board of Health by Gov. Charles S. Deneen and again reappointed in 1910 and held this position for seven years and until a political change in the state administration when he voluntarily resigned.  This exalted place in the medical fraternity had never heretofore been accorded a physician in Pulaski County.

Dr. Boswell was equally prominent and useful in the practical world of business.  A young man in a young town, he grew even faster than his environment.  Starting with nothing but pluck, perseverance and a will to win, he marched to the head of the column and became the commander in chief of the material interests of Mounds.  Rapid and phenomenal as the city grew and prospered, his growth and prosperity were greater still.  He was one of the founders of its first bank (now the First State Bank of Mounds) and has been its president since its organization.  It is the largest bank in Pulaski County—a monument of his splendid integrity, his business sagacity and his untiring help the community.  He was president of the Mounds Building and Loan Association, the largest in the county, and a member of its Board of Health at the time of his death and for many years prior thereto.  What a record of achievement to twenty-seven years.  What an example for the young men of our city and county to emulate and to follow.  Truly and indeed he was one of the great men of Illinois and the most prominent citizens of Mounds and her greatest representative.

His heart was kind and his social life democratic.  He abhorred display, hated hypocrisy, despised double dealing and loathed the untruthful.  He loved the good, stood for the square deal, protected the truthful and fought for civic righteousness.  His success was won as the result of these qualities, put in action by faith, hope and the love he had for his fellow man.  Mounds, Pulaski County, southern Illinois and the medical fraternity of the whole state will miss him.  Mounds perhaps more than the loss of any other of her citizens, for he was a builder, using the choicest granite in the progressive construction of the character, the durability her people.  He was married in the beauty and the prosperity of 1917 to Miss Aesa Nesbitt, of Chicago, who for many years was a prominent teacher in the public schools in Pulaski County.  No children were born to this union and the widow is left alone in her great sorrow, but the universal sympathy and love of the people of the city of Mounds and the countless number of friends of him who has gone, is extended to her in this the greatest of her earthly sorrows.

Dr. Boswell is also survived by his elder brother, Edward Boswell, who lives at Anna.

Friday, 4 Nov 1921:

Mrs. E. M. Titus, age 88 years, passed away at the home of her daughter, Mrs. J. W. Buckle, of Villa Ridge, at 9:30 o'clock Saturday night after an illness of several weeks due to infirmities of old age.  Mrs. Titus has resided in Villa Ridge for more than half a century and is well known and a favorite among hundred of friends.  She is survived by two daughters Mrs. Buckle, of Villa Ridge, Dr. Frankie Titus, of Colorado Springs, three sons, Fred, of Kansas City, Mo., John and George, of Mounds, a number of grandchildren.

The funeral was held at the residence Monday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock, Rev. Tucker of the Congregational church officiating.

Mrs. Titus also adopted and reared from infancy, Mrs. Clara Perks Bonner, of this city.

(J. W. Buckle married Mary E. Titus, daughter of S. M. Titus and Christina Montgomery, on 28 Nov 1900, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)

Friday, 11 Nov 1921:
Mrs. Eliza Lipe was the recipient of a letter Saturday from her sister, Mrs. Lydia Yarits, of Tell City, Ind., with news of the death of the latter's son, Edgar Lee Yarits, age 24 years.  Beside the mother, he is survived by the wife and little son and a sister.  (Grand Chain)

(Rufus C. Lipe married Eliza A. Moore on 10 Jul 1862, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)

The little babe of Mr. and Mrs. Aud Moak was buried Sunday. (Perks)

Friday, 18 Nov 1921:
Mrs. J. R. Aliff, of West Frankfort, was here on business last week.  She tell us Lee Lacy was recently married to a young lady of West Frankfort.  They have charge of the former's children, whom Mrs. Aliff has been keeping since the death of her daughter a few years ago. (Grand Chain)

Meets Sudden Demise While on Way to Church—Was Once Very Prominent in the Public Affairs of this City.

Word was received Sunday of the death of Roy N. Adams, former county clerk of Pulaski County, at Little Rock, Ark.

The end is reported to have come suddenly as he was on his way to church.

Mr. Adams was a native of Ullin, Ill., where his father was in business, was for a time a resident of Cairo.  His mother, Mrs. Jennie Adams, later moved to Mound City, where she purchased the Casey property and lived for many years.

He served two terms as county clerk and was identified in business interests of this city in the mercantile line and also was at one time editor of the Enterprise.  He left here in 1916 for Warren, Ark., where he went into the lumber business.  His wife survives him.


Sheriff Bankson and Deputies Work Diligently on the Case—Spending Gold While Out of Work Gave the Clue.

After being confined in the county jail for several days, Albert Mowery, white, age 35, admits the slaying of Arthur Brown, aged bachelor and sort of hermit, at the home of the latter on the 18th of last month.

The confession of Mowery clears up one of the most deplorable murders ever committed in this county.  Mowery is a resident of Cypress in Johnson County, where he has a wife and four small children, a mother in this county and several brothers.

Mowery's past life, it seems, has been more or less peaceful with an obsessing hatred for any sort of honest toil.

It seems that Mowery and Brown were strangers, and a short time ago someone told Mowery that Brown always carried a large sum of money on his person, that he lived alone, etc.  This information was too much for Mowery's cupidity and on the morning of the murder he left home with a single barrel breech loading shot gun of ancient model, presumably to go hunting.  He walked to Brown's some seven miles southeast of Cypress, arriving here about ten o'clock in the forenoon.  Mowery claims that he was attacked by the old man with a stick and in defending himself shot Brown in the forehead, killing him instantly, then robbing him of twenty-five dollars in gold and ten dollars in greenbacks.  Mowery then walked to Ullin some seven miles southwest, throwing his gun in a thicket on the way, where he caught the train for Mounds.  He left Mounds in the afternoon for his home at Cypress by train and taxicab.  Upon arriving home he purchased a coon dog with fifteen dollars of the gold he had stolen and his sudden display of wealth proved his undoing as he had been known as a man wholly without means.

Brown was discovered lying in his yard late in the afternoon of the murder, his right trouser pocket turned out, and his money gone.  Brown was a peaceable law-abiding man with a few acquaintances, and no intimates.

Before the arrest of Mowery, several persons had taken a charge by the sheriff, but after carefully checking up each was released.  The mystery became deeper, but with persistent energy and determination, the sheriff kept going day and night and the more puzzling the mystery became the harder the sheriff worked until traveling to several counties his efforts were rewarded by the arrest and confession of the prisoner.

Friday, 25 Nov 1921:
Quite a number from here (Bryan) attended the funeral of Mrs. Stokes near Pulaski.

(William H. H. Stokes married Mrs. Emma J. Fitzgerald, daughter of Richard Oliver and Mary Harper, on 1 Sep 1899, in Union Co., Ill.  A marker in Rose Hill Cemetery near Pulaski reads:  Emma Jane Stokes 1863-1921.—Darrel Dexter)

Succumbs to Disease After a Brief Illness.  Was Well Known and Leaves Parents and Many Friends.

Floyd Boren, age 35 years, died at 10:40 Thursday morning at his home in this city, death being due to a siege of appendicitis.  Deceased has lived in this city all his life and lived with his mother, Mrs. Mary Moyers.  Besides his mother, he leaves a father, John Boren, three brothers, Fred, of this city, Edward, of Chattanooga, Tenn., and Charles, of Pittsburg, Ill.  Also one sister, Mrs. Hazel Baccus, of this city.

Friday, 2 Dec 1921:
Floyd Boren Laid at Rest

Funeral services over the remains of Floyd Boren were held from the home of the deceased at 2 o'clock Sunday afternoon.  Rev. J. B. Cummins conducting the services and music was furnished by the Methodist choir.  Automobiles conveyed the bereaved relatives and friends to the Beech Grove Cemetery where interment was made.

Friday, 9 Dec 1921:
Former Resident Dies

Casper Jones, a former resident of this city, died at his home in Indianapolis this week.  He was married to Mrs. Martha Dolan, of this city, and is survived by his widow, a daughter, Miss Hazel Jones, and a son, Casper Jr.  Deceased had been ill for two years.  The body was brought to Paducah, his former home for burial.  He had many friends here and in Cairo.

(Casper Jones married Martha Dolan on 1 May 1889, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)T



The Ullin Times


The Ullin Times, Friday, 25 Feb 1921:

Mrs. Sam Carney has been in Jonesboro the past week, where she was called by the illness and death of Mrs. Sam Littlejohn.


Mrs. Sam Littlejohn Dead

             Mrs. Sam Littlejohn died Monday night in Jonesboro, Ill.  Mrs. Littlejohn was a former resident of this place and had a large circle of friends here.  She leaves to mourn her death her husband and five children.

             (Her marker in Jonesboro Cemetery reads:  Delphia A. Littlejohn Born Feb. 5, 1886 Died Feb. 22, 1921.—Darrel Dexter)


Pulaski Index Page

Next Page