Obituaries and Death Notices
in Pulaski County, Illinois Newspapers

The Pulaski Enterprise

10 Jan 1913 - 26 Dec 1913

Mound City, Pulaski County, Illinois

Transcribed and annotated by Darrel Dexter


Friday, 10 Jan 1913:
Boy of 5 Kills Brother, 2

Benton—Lester Armstrong, the 5-year-old son of Mrs. Mary Armstrong, at Christopher, shot and killed his 2-year-old brother, Dillard Deloss Armstrong. The older brother got the weapon out of the bureau drawer and shot the little one, who was sitting on the floor.

Mrs. James Keller died at her home New Year’s Day of pneumonia. She leaves a husband and daughter, Mrs. Charles Burgeon, and one sister, Mrs. Pool and a host of friends to mourn her loss. She was laid to rest in Mt. Olive Cemetery Friday. (Perks)

(James M. Keller married Mrs. Mary Worten on 26 Jul 1888, in Union Co., Ill.  Her marker in Mt. Olive Cemetery near Dongola reads:  James M. Keller Born Feb. 13, 1845.  Mary S. Keller his wife Born Feb. 4, 1850 Died Jan. 1, 1913.—Darrel Dexter)

M. M. Williams was called to West Frankfort to be present at the funeral of his brother.

Died at the home of his parents near Concord, little Nello Baker, son of Percy and Lucy Baker, after a lingering illness of several weeks. The entire community extends their sympathy to the bereaved parents. Interment at Liberty Cemetery.  (Bryan)

We wish to correct the statement as regard the obituary in last week’s issue of the late James Wilson. He was born in 1846 instead of 1856 and therefore was 66 years of age. (Edith Chapel)

Attorney George E. Martin received a telegram Wednesday morning announcing the death of his uncle, Mr. William D. Chamberlin, of Junction City, Kan., and left that evening to attend the funeral. About thirty days ago, Mr. Martin was called to Junction City on another sad mission, that of attending the funeral of his aunt, his mother’s sister, companion of the recently deceased Mr. Chamberlin. Mr. Martin’s departed kindred were each aged 70 years. Mr. Chamberlain was a veteran of the Civil War. They leave no children; only a niece resided with them.


Mrs. A. W. Merwin died at her home at Olmsted at 3:15 o’clock Thursday morning, after a prolonged illness.

Mrs. Merwin was well known throughout Pulaski County, having resided in or near Olmsted during her entire life. She was Miss Nan Davidge. She was about sixty years of age. A brother, Charles Davidge, a niece, Mrs. T. M. Ford, and three nephews, A. W. Williamson, E. Davidge, of Mound City, and J. M. Davidge of Cairo, survive her. She is also survived by her husband, A. W. Merwin.

The funeral services will be held at one o’clock Saturday afternoon at the Congregational church at Olmsted.—Bulletin

(A.  W. Merwin married Nannie R. Davidge on 27 Mar 1887, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)



Mrs. Nancy Lyerly, recently bereaved widow of the late lamented J. F. Lyerly, of America, in this county, died at her home, Sunday morning at 5:30 at an advanced age. Funeral was conducted by Rev. Joseph Buie, of this city, Tuesday, January 7, 1913. Interment at Beech Grove Cemetery.

The husband of the late Mrs. Lyerly preceded her to the other world only about a fortnight each of whom had been in very poor health for many years.

(J. F. Lyerly married Nannie W. Minnich on 2 Jul 1871, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)

Mrs. William Peasley, of Memphis, is here at the bedside of her sister Mrs. Richard Aldridge, who is seriously ill.

Friday, 17 Jan 1913:

To our many friends and neighbors we extend our sincere thanks for their kindness and sympathy through out bereavement in the loss of our dear father and mother.
Katie Lyerly Stephens.

Eleven Dead in Meningitis Epidemic

Cairo—Dr. J. C. Wetervelt, of Shelbyville, who represented the state board of health in an investigation of spinal meningitis at Gale, returned to Cairo with the report that eleven deaths had occurred from the disease and that three persons are critically ill and would not live.

Shortage of Provisions Adds to Horror of Epidemic.

Cairo—Gale, thirty miles north of here, is nearly cut off from the surrounding country and a shortage of provisions is adding to the horror of the cerebro-spinal meningitis epidemic. One or two persons are dying daily, according to reports received here. Trouble is burying the dead also is reported.

A representative of the state board of health went to Gale to take charge of the situation.

Other Fatalities Expected in Plague that Spreads Above Cairo.

Cairo—Nine deaths have occurred from cerebro-spinal meningitis at Gale and East Cape Girardeau and others are hourly expected as the result of an epidemic, which has broken out with great virulence within the last forty-eight hours.

The dead are: James, Henry and John Chism; Sam and Logan McGee, Frank Cleaver, Mrs. Amos Clutts, Henry Malone and a child of Ward Adams.

Eight men are on guard to quarantine the region from the neighboring settlements.

A representative of the state board of health has been summoned to McClure to take charge of the situation. Dr. C. E. Duncan, of McClure, Dr. Hope, of Cape Girardeau, Mo., and Dr. Phelps, of Thebes, have been working night and day caring for the sick,

Mr. Phax Wright died at his home Sunday, the 12th, of cancer of the mouth. He leaves a wife, several children and sisters to mourn his loss. His remains were interred in Mt. Zion Cemetery. (Perks)

(Fairfax Wright married Delila McIntosh on 26 Dec 1869, in Pulaski Co., Ill.  Fairfax Wright married Alice Bartleson on 12 Sep 1880, in Pulaski Co., Ill.  F. F. Wright married Louisa Porter or Potter on 25 Jun 1885, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)


Notice is hereby given that the undersigned is making application before the January term of the Board of Pardons of the State of Illinois, for the pardon of George Durden, convict No. 7851, confined in the prison, at Menard, Illinois. He has suffered imprisonment for the period of ten years, for an alleged murder, having been sentenced to life imprisonment by January term of the Circuit Court of Pulaski County, A. D. 1902
Metropolitan Church Association

The strange man found dead between Grand Chain and Karnak is supposed to have met his death by being struck by a Big Four engine. Papers on him showed his home to be in Oklahoma. He was brought here and given a respectable burial in the Masonic Cemetery by the good-hearted citizens of Grand Chain. “Cast thy bread upon the water; for thou shalt find it after many days.”—Ecel. 11:1.

Mrs. Frank Campbell and Miss Mollie Campbell have returned from McLeansboro, Ill., where they attended the funeral of their aunt, Mrs. Maurice Campbell.

William Potter has returned from Ullin, where he was called on account of the death of his father.

Friday, 24 Jan 1913:
An uncle of Messrs. Fred and Henry Classy was brought down from St. Louis Saturday, funeral at the church on that afternoon. Interment at Unity and Chapel grave yard. (Edith Chapel)

Died, Wednesday, of last week, the infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Albert Goins, age about one month. (Grand Chain)

At this writing, Uncle Tom Echols is still at Hale Sanitarium in a critical condition. (Grand Chain)


The funeral of the late Mrs. Krescinxia Lutz, who died at her home in this city Sunday morning, was held Tuesday morning from the Catholic church, and the remains were interred in Beech Grove Cemetery at Mounds alongside those of her husband, who preceded her to the Great Beyond about ten years. The services were conducted by Rev. Fr. Mumbour.

The deceased had reached the age of 78 years and 10 months, and up to within a few days of her death she had been in the very best of health so the news of her death came as a distinct shock and surprise to all who had enjoyed the privilege of her acquaintance. She was a devout member of the Catholic Church and held in the very highest esteem by all.

She was formerly Krescinzia Moses and was born at Iceh, Baden, German, March 19, 1834. When 20 years of age she came to this country locating in Cincinnati, Ohio, where on November 6, 1858, she married Anton Lutz. They came to Mound City in 1865 and has resided here ever since. There were seven children born to this couple, four of whom died. Mrs. Lutz is survived by two daughters, Mrs. William Bestgen and Miss Brema, and one son, Joseph, and five grandchildren.

(William Bestgen married Louis Lutz, daughter of Anton Lutz and Kresentia Moser, on 5 Apr 1900.—Darrel Dexter)

Friday, 31 Jan 1913:
Mrs. Sam Beavers was summoned to Buncombe to be at the bedside of her sister, Mrs. Peeler, who is seriously ill of pneumonia. (Perks)

Meningitis at Tamaroa

DuQuoin—A representative of the Illinois State Board of Health, Dr. Westervelt, was in Tamaroa to investigate the prevalence of spinal meningitis at Tamaroa and was verified the opinion rendered by Tamaroa physicians as to the nature of the disease. The family of Rev. W. C. Harms, whose 12-year-old son fell a victim, has been quarantined and symptoms indicating further spread of the diseases will be closely watched.

Blows Head Off Before Grandson.—Murphysboro—In the presence of his 10-year-old grandson, W. G. Higgerson, a retired businessman, 71 years old, committed suicided by blowing off his head with a shotgun. No reason for the act is known.

Two More Meningitis Deaths

Gale—Two more deaths from meningitis total twelve. One was the child of Tom Hayles, in the hills southeast of Gale. Four late cases reported are not improving. A rigid quarantine is maintained.

Sends for Family; Killed in Mine

Harrisburg—Tony Baltunas, a miner, was killed by falling slate in O’Gara Mine No. 4. He came from Germany and recently sent for his family to join him. They are now on their way to this country.


Mrs. Martha Rodgers, one of the old residents of this city, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Stella Burt, of Algoa, Ark., Jan. 20, 1913, after an illness of several months, aged 67 years, 10 months and 27 days.

The funeral services were conducted by Rev. Douglas of the Church of Christ. Interment at Eight Mile Cemetery.

Mrs. Rodgers leaves an aged husband, one son, J. F. Rodgers, of Guthrie, Okla., three daughters, Mrs. Clara Anderson, of Rogers, Ark., Mrs. Mattie Davie, of Evansville, Ind., and Mrs. Stella Burt, of Algoa, Ark.


Saturday morning, Mr. L. W. Johnston, an old time railroad man, at Ullin, was hit by an I. C. passenger train, dying from the injuries thus sustained in 30 minutes. His age was 69 years.

On Monday, January 27, funeral services were held at the family residence, interment at Beech Grove Cemetery. A special interurban train conveyed the funeral cortege to the cemetery.

Mr. Johnston was slightly deaf, and, in passing from one track, he stepped upon the next track in front of the oncoming passenger train, knocking him about twenty-five feet.

Mr. Johnson leaves a widow and two daughters, one of who resides with her aunt in Cairo, also a son. He was highly esteemed as was evinced by the large attendance of sorrowing friends at the funeral.


It was with surprise and profound regret that our citizens learned Wednesday that on the afternoon of that day, January 29, 1913, Mayor Thomas B. Echols, of Grand Chain, had died in the sanitarium, at Anna, where he had been receiving treatment for Bright’s disease.

Mr. Echols, at the time of his death, was near 70 years of age, and had lived in Grand Chain and vicinity during his entire lifetime, except while serving in the Union Army during the War of the Rebellion, when he was a member of Co. G, 11th Illinois Volunteers. He was born in Caledonia, near where Olmsted is now located. His father, B. F. Echols, was a pioneer of this county, and his grandfather on his mother’s side of the family, Dr. D. A. Arter, was one of the pioneers of Cairo. He held many positions of honor and trust in his town, being deservedly popular, not only in Grand Chain, but throughout the entire county, had occupied the positions of Justice of the Peace, city magistrate, postmaster, alderman and mayor.

Mr. Echols’ wife, Mrs. Aminee Echols, died very suddenly, about the 1st of April last. His surviving relatives are: a sister, Mrs. H. A. Hannon, of Cairo; two brothers, B. F. Echols, of DuQuoin and D. A. Echols, of Kevil; four daughters, Mrs. J. E. Woelfle, of Cairo, Mrs. Mabel Price, Mrs. Sallie Adams, Mrs. Jesse Moore, of Grand Chain.

Mr. Echols had a host of friends in this city.

The Enterprise goes to press before obtaining particulars of the funeral. But his funeral and interment was conducted by the Odd Fellows, as he had been for many years a most active and influential member of that order.

(Thomas B. Echols enlisted as a corporal in Co. G, 11th Illinois Infantry on 25 Jul 1861, and was discharged 23 Jul 1862.  Thomas B. Echols, 21, a native of Pulaski Co., Ill., enlisted on 15 Aug 1862, in Co. K, 109th Illinois Infantry, was promoted to sergeant major, was wounded in the left foot and discharged for disability 26 Jan 1863, at Memphis, Tenn.  Thomas B. Echols married Ammon Brown on 1 Dec 1863, in Pulaski Co., Ill.  James E. Woelfle married Hortense Hannon Echols on 10 Oct 1900, in Pulaski Co., Ill.  James S. Adams married Sallie A. Echols on 27 Oct 1895, in Pulaski Co., Ill.  Andrew Moore married Jessie Echols on 18 Feb 1900, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)

Friday, 7 Feb 1913:
Quite a number of folks from the Ridge (Tick Ridge) attended the funeral of uncle Thomas B. Echols at Grand Chain Saturday.

Friday, 14 Feb 1913:

In memory of Brother Thomas B. Echols, who died January 29th, 1913.

Once again death has summoned a Brother Odd Fellow, and the golden gateway to the Eternal City has opened to welcome him to his home. He completed his work in the ministering to the wants of the afflicted, in shedding light into darkened souls and in bringing joy into the places of misery, and as his record has received the plaudit “well done,” from the Supreme Master, and

WHEREAS, The All-wise and merciful Master has called our beloved and respected Brother home. And

WHEREAS, He having been a true and faithful Brother of our Mystic order. Therefore, be it

RESOLVED, that Florida Lodge No. 468 I. O. O. F. Grand Chain, Ill., in memory of its loss be draped in mourning for thirty days and that we tender to the family of our deceased brother our sincere condolence in their deep affliction, and that a copy of these resolutions be sent to the family.
F. A. Bartleson
W. O. Taley
R. P. Evers, Comm.

Kills Enemy; Hits Onlooker.

Harrisburg—In a fight at Carrier Mills, Frank Fink was shot and killed and Elijah Henderson, a bystander, was wounded, perhaps fatally, by Hubert Baker. Baker is in jail in Harrisburg. Coroner Butner held an inquest and the jury held Baker to the grand jury without bond.

Admits Killing Patrolman.

DuQuoin—Paul Vaydo confessed he murdered Joe White, a policeman, here the night of May 31, 1910. The body of White was found in an alley cut and beaten almost beyond recognition.


Samuel T. Chittick accidentally shot and killed himself Sunday afternoon about 4 o’clock at his home at Olmsted, he was alone at the time of the accident, his family was visiting a neighbor. A negro boy went to the house on an errand and found the body on the front porch with a bullet wound through his head. He had been cleaning a revolver and it is thought that it was accidentally discharged he was 46 years of age and was a member of Mound City lodge No. 250 I. O. O. F., and also a prominent member of the Farmer’s Union. The deceased was born and raised in this county and was held in the very highest esteem by all who knew him.

He is survived by his wife, one son, Earl, three sisters, Mrs. H. J. Hileman and Miss Edith Chittick of Olmsted and Miss Lottie Chittick, of this city, two brothers, Hiram, of Olmsted, and William, of Montana. The funeral services were conducted at the Concord Schoolhouse at 2 o’clock Tuesday afternoon by Rev. Joseph Buie of this city. Interment at Concord Cemetery.

(His marker in Concord Cemetery near Ullin reads:  Samuel T. Chittick Born Jan. 3, 1865 died Feb. 9, 1913.  Though thou art gone, fond memories cling of thee.—Darrel Dexter)

Miss Lottie Chittick and niece Miss Florence Hileman returned home from Olmsted Wednesday where they attended the funeral of the former’s brother, Samuel Chittick,.

Ray Scroggins, aged twelve years, died at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Scroggins, Wednesday morning after a two-week illness of dropsy. The funeral was held at the residence Thursday afternoon and the remains were taken to Grand Chain on the four o’clock train for burial.


The people of this city were startled this morning at about 8:00 o’clock when the deplorable news went speedily amongst our citizens that Rev. Joseph Buie, pastor of Pilgrim Congregational Church of this city, had been found dead.

Upon investigation it was learned that Rev. Buie had gone Thursday morning on the Big Four to Grand Chain to conduct funeral services over the remains of little Ray Scroggin, who had died in this city on Tuesday of this week, and was returned home on the Big Four passenger train, due here at 7:30 yesterday evening.

This morning, when the Big Four section workman were on their way to work north of town and when about a mile above here, they discovered the lifeless body of Mr. Buie lying against the embankment near the railroad track, and immediately notified Undertaker Montgomery, who took charge of the body.

Rev. Buie’s age was about 37 years. He had been pastor of the Congregational Church here about 22 months. A wife and two sons survive him.

Arrangements for the funeral have not been announced as we go to press, but it is thought the funeral will occur next Sunday.

Friday, 21 Feb 1913:
Mr. George Dunn died at his home on Butter Ridge Saturday morning at 10 o’clock of consumption. He leaves a wife and several small children to mourn his loss. He was a Christian and a good neighbor, but our loss will be his gain. The sorrowing ones have our sympathy.

Those who attended the funeral of Mr. George Dunn at Butter Ridge Sunday were M. M. Williams, Arvie Williams, Blanche and Gertie Heathcock, Alpha McCormic, Mrs. Jones and children and Jim McCall.


We take this method of thanking all the people who have been so kind to us during our awful trouble.

Words cannot express our appreciation of your loving and thoughtful ministrations, as well as sympathy for us during our sore trial.
Kittie Buie
Prentis Buie
Ivan Buie


Mr. William Forker died last Saturday at the home of his cousin, Mr. Mid Britt, after a most painful illness of three weeks’ duration, of cancer of the stomach. Deceased was 49 years of age and had lived in this county all of his life.

Funeral was held on Sunday. Interment in the Caster Cemetery.

Mr. Will Forker died at the home of H. M. Britt Saturday, Feb. 15th. (New Hope)

Mrs. Tona Webber died Sunday morning about 8 o’clock. Buried at Mounds in Catholic cemetery Monday. (Pulaski)

Illinois Pastor Is Killed.

Cairo—Rev. Joseph Buie, pastor of the Pilgrim Congregational Church at Mound City, was found dead beside the Big Four track in Mound City. He fell from a train alighting on his head.

The remains of Ray Scroggins, son of Tom Scroggins, of Mound City, were brought here (Grand Chain) on the five o’clock train Thursday for burial.

Several of our Grand Chain people, including the I. O. O. F. team, attended the funeral of Rev. Buie at Mound City Sunday. Rev. Buie had been to Grand Chain on business and on his return to Mound City, just before entering the city, he became sick and suffocating and went out the car for fresh air and fell off, which resulted in his death.


WHERAS, the All-Wise Creator in death removed from our midst our late Mayor of the town of Grand Chain, Thomas B. Echols, Therefore be it

RESOLVED that the village council looses a friend and the family a dutiful father. Therefore the village council as a body extend their sympathy to the family and friends in their sorrow. And further be it

RESOLVED that a copy of these resolutions be embodied in the minutes of the record book o the village, a copy sent for publication in the county paper and copies sent to members of the family.
R. B. Bartleson
Leo Reichert
A. L. Lyell, Comm.


WHEREAS it has pleased the Almighty God in his infinite wisdom to remove from our midst our colleague and friend, Samuel Chittick, who was an honorable member, And

WHEREAS by his integrity, his genial disposition and his consistent application of his duties as a member of this body as well as by his upright and honorable conduct as a man and citizen, he has endeared himself to all.

RESOLVED by this Concord Local No. 189 that we hereby express our most profound sorrow at the untimely end of our friend and brother and that we hereby extend to the bereaved wife and family or heartfelt sympathy in the loss of a kind and loving husband and father. And be it further

RESOLVED that the members of this local extend to the family of the deceased a full measure of sympathy in the death of an esteemed co-laborer. And be it further

RESOLVED that a memorial page be set aside in our minute book for Samuel Chittick, and that an engrossed copy of these resolutions be sent to the family of the deceased. At a regular meeting of Concord Local Feb. 13, 19113, the following resolutions were unanimously adopted by a rising vote.
J. M. Walker, Pres.
W. L. Richey, Secy.


WHEREAS it has pleased Almighty God in his infinite wisdom to remove form the midst of Carl Mikkin’s family, who was a member of the F. E. C. U. of A., his little son Arthur Mikkin, And

WHEREAS by his general disposition and his duties as a member of this body as well as by his upright and honorable conduct as a man and citizen, he has endeared himself to all.  By this Concord Local No. 189, that we hereby express our most profound sorrow and sympathy in the loss of their beloved little son, Arthur Mikkin, and be it further

RESOLVED that the members of this local extend to the family of the deceased Arthur Mikkin a full measure of sympathy by sending a copy of these resolutions to the bereaved family. And that a memorial page be set aside in our minute book for these resolutions. At a regular meeting of Concord Local Feb. 12, 1913.

The following resolutions were unanimously adopted by a rising vote.
J. M. Walker, Pres.
W. L. Richey, Sec.

(His marker in Concord Cemetery near Ullin reads:  Arthur son of C. A. & B. A. Mikkin Born June 13, 1911 Died Feb. 8, 1913.  My he rest in peace.—Darrel Dexter)

Friends of Mrs. Eva Bowling, of St. Louis, will be pained to hear of the death of her son, Theodore, which occurred Saturday at his home at Alexandria, Va. Mrs. Bowling left St. Louis for his bedside, but arrived too late. Mr. Bowling had been ill for the past two years. He was born and raised in this city. He is survived by his wife.


The attendance and manifestations of the keenest sorrow at the interment of the remains of the late Rev. Joseph Buie, of this city, which occurred Sunday afternoon, clearly demonstrated the high esteem as a minister of the Gospel, and warm personal regard as a citizen and neighbor, in which he was held by those who knew him most intimately. While it is true that his heart-rending tragic death operated a no small degree in adding unfeigned sorrow in the hearts of the people the fact remains that it was his intrinsic worth, his towering strength, in the pulpit and his tender Christian sympathy that created an attachment to him that was in keeping with the high pile of his great Christian heart. His profession did not partake of the nature of a mere mechanical religion, rather purely Christian in the highest acceptation of that sublime term. It was the choice of his heart to serve, rather than to be served—purely Christ like.

The beautiful, soul-inspiring Masonic obsequies were conducted at the grave by Trinity Lodge No. 562, many Masons other than of Trinity Lodge were in attendance and assisted in the services. Being also an Odd Fellow, there were twelve lodges of that order present to pay their final tribute of respect to their brother in the bonds of Friendship, Love and Truth. Rev. Runnals, Congregational minister, of Mounds, delivered the sermon of respect to his beloved, departed brother minister, to a congregation thought by many to be the largest that ever assembled in this city on a similar occasion.

Mrs. Buie and her two fatherless sons have the warmest sympathy of o entire citizenship in their almost unbearable bereavement.

Friday, 28 Feb 1913:
Meningitis Fatality in Herrin.

Herrin—The first fatal case of spinal meningitis in this city was reported when the 6-year-old son of S. W. Pteigo succumbed. This is the second death in this county since the disease became prevalent in southern Illinois. In the adjoining county of Saline the first fatal case was reported. A strict quarantine is being enforced there.

Grandpa Manwarring is threatened with pneumonia. He has been here almost a century. (Mt. Pleasant)

Died, Wednesday night, Feb. 19, 1913, Mrs. James Hiatt at the home of her ___ Willie Anderson near here (Tick Ridge). She has been sick for some time and had just recently returned from the Hale Sanitarium at Anna, where she had been for treatment. She leaves a husband and ___ small children and many relatives and friends to mourn her loss. Interment at Grand Chain Cemetery Friday.

Mrs. Lillie Hiat departed this life Thursday morning after an illness of several weeks. She leaves a father, two brothers, two sisters, a husband and two small children to mourn her loss besides a host of other relatives and friends. She was laid to rest in the Masonic Cemetery Friday. Funeral services were held in the Christian church by the Boaz minister. The husband and little ones have the sympathy of their many friends in this their darkest hour of sorrow. May they remember the words of the Savior, “Come unto me all ye that are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest.” (Grand Chain)


The death of Warren K. Bartleson, which occurred last Friday, a few minutes after midnight, at his home in Jacksonville, Fla., removes one of Pulaski County’s former citizens, who was very highly esteemed both here and in his adopted southern home, where his popularity was as pronounced as in the home of his younger days—Pulaski County.

Mr. Bartleson had been ill only a few days, with pneumonia fever, when his demise occurred. His age was 77 years, 2 months and 2 days. His funeral was conducted by three Methodist Episcopal ministers.

Mr. Bartleson came to this county more than a half century ago, from Morgan County, Ohio, when a young man, settling with a family of Bartlesons in vicinity of Grand Chain. In 1885, he went south and soon settled in Jacksonville, Fla., where he engaged in the wholesale grocery business. He had attained to the Shriner’s degree in Masonry and was one of the leading spirits in the M. E Church in his city and he was also a popular member of the G. A. R. Mr. Bartleson, his father and four brothers were in the Union Army at the same time. Decedent is survived by his widow, two sons and several grandchildren, also three brothers and one sister: C. A., of Oklahoma, J. W., Kansas; James, Olmsted; Mrs. Eliza Tarr, Mound City.

(Warren A. Bartleson married H. Amelia Porter on 10 May 1863, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)

A message was received Tuesday by friends apprising of the death of Mrs. Wilhelmina Hallerberg, who died Tuesday morning at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Henry Meyer, at Cilamita, New Mexico. She was about 76 years of age and until recently resided in this city. The body will be brought to this city Saturday and interment will be made at Beech Grove Cemetery.

(Henry D. Meyer married Tillie Hallerburg on 20 Apr 1898, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)

7 Mar 1913:

Grandma Violet Perkins departed this life Feb. 28th, 1913, at 5:30 a.m. Her exact age is not known, but she was something over 90 years old. She was born in McNairy Co., Tenn., and moved to Pulaski Co., in 1871. She was a charter member of the A. M. E. Church of Edith Chapel and was faithful to duty until about nine years ago, when she was afflicted with blindness and other complications developed, which gradually weakened her delicate frame until death came to relieve her of her suffering, which was quite intense at times. But she bore her sufferings, exercising faith in God that all would be well in the end. She was required special attention day and night for five months. She made her home with her son, Henderson Perkins, who with his family did all they could to relieve and comfort her. She called the family to her bedside the day before she died and told them to meet her in heaven. She leaves two sons, one daughter and a number of grandchildren besides a host of friends to mourn her loss. Funeral was held Sunday at the church. Rev. King officiated. His text was “All of my appointed time will I await until my change comes.” She was laid to rest at the Unity and Chapel Cemetery.

(Violet Perkins, age 48, born in Tennessee, is in the 1880 census of Villa Ridge Precinct, Pulaski Co., Ill.  Others in the household were her son, Henderson Perkins, 24, and her daughter, Belle Perkins, 16.—Darrel Dexter)

John Armstrong, of Paducah, was here (Edith Chapel) Sunday and also Edgar and Oscar Perkins and others from Dumain, the occasion being the funeral of their grandmother, Violet Perkins.

Mrs. Dan Robertson received a telegram informing her of the death of her mother in Indiana. (Perks)

Death of Mr. Manwaring

S. P. Manwaring, who had lived to the ripe old age of 92 years, died at the home of his son, Ray, at Pulaski, last Friday about noon after a lingering illness of some weeks of pneumonia and the infirmities of old age. He was buried at the family cemetery on his farm Sunday afternoon, the funeral being conducted by Eld. I. A. J. Parker, of Vienna, in the presence of a large concourse of friends and relatives who braved the cold and very unpleasant weather to come out and pay their last tribute of respect to the true pioneer of this community and county. Mr. Manwaring was born in England and came to the United States when a lad of 9 years.—Citizen

Mr. and Mrs. James Adams and son Frank and nephew Henry Myers, of Memphis, who attended the funeral of Mrs. Adams’ mother, Mrs. Augusta Hallerberg, in this city, returned to their home Sunday.

Friday, 14 Mar 1913:

Mr. Harrison Franklin Starks, died at his home on Poplar Street, in this city, early Tuesday morning of this week, 63 years and 7 months.  Mr. Starks was employed at the Williamson-Kuny Mill & Lumber Factory and on Monday at about 5:30 p.m. He was stricken with paralysis while at work and expired about 5 o’clock the next morning.  Funeral services were conducted by Rev. M. B. Baker, Tuesday afternoon, and the remains were conveyed Wednesday morning to Hillerman, Ill., for interment, accompanied by the family and Messrs. J E. Harned and Ira McDaniels.

Deceased is survived by his widow, two sons, George and John; three daughters, Misses Lalla R., Imogene and Anna Kathleen, and two sisters, Mrs. Samuel Wright, of Mounds and Mrs. R. T. Alexander, of Decatur, Ill.

(Robert T. Alexander married Alabama Starks on 7 Jan 1877, in Massac Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)

Word was received here this week from Beebe, Ark. that T. C. Gaunt, a former resident of Grand Chain, is critically ill at home in that city, with stomach trouble and that his attending physicians have given up all hopes of his recovery.

Mr. Gaunt had been a resident of Grand Chain for many years and left recently for Beebe, Ark., where he is engaged in the furniture and undertaking business.

C. M. Gaunt, cashier of the First State Bank, of this city and brother, of the afflicted man, has gone to the bedside of his brother.

(Thomas C. Gaunt married Luella M. Bartleson on 4 Aug 1886, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)

The nineteenth murder in our county took place at Mounds on the 10th, when Frank Thompson shot and fatally wounded Will Lewis at that place.  This makes the nineteenth murder in our county since December 1, 1910.  We call the attention of the citizenship of our county to this fact, not because we want to boast of our unenviable reputation, but because we think it high time that the people of our county bestir themselves to put down this sort of crime in their midst.

The State’s Attorney has been making an effort to get rid of the gun toters, but no official can, by himself, do very much without the support of the better citizens of the county.  About ninety percent of these murders were committed by habitual gun toters.

A large percentage of these have committed by the floating element in our neighboring city of Mounds.  The authorities in Mounds realize this fact, and they, together with our sheriff and state’s attorney, have been doing everything that they can to get rid of this class of citizens, and we, together with all other citizens of our county, should give them our heart cooperation and help in every way possible.

Friday, 21 Mar 1913:
Rufus Jones, a colored man that has been suffering with the dropsy for about a year, died on Monday night.  He had been tapped four times.  A very singular case of dropsy.  (Pulaski)
The funeral of Mrs. Ellen Aldred was well attended.  (Pulaski)


The remains of Mr. Harrison Starks, of Mound City, was brought here (Grand Chain) Tuesday en route to Hillerman, where he was laid to rest in the Hillerman cemetery.
Uncle Ben Henderson, one of the old soldiers, is very low at this writing.  (Wilmothville)
Confesses Killing Smothers

Carlyle—Flannery Williamson, of near Carter, Marion County, confessed to the murder of A. J. Smothers, a bachelor neighbor, Feb. 18, last.  The alleged confession was obtained by G. C. Surgeon of Carter, assisted by Deputy Sheriff Beasley and Simeox, of Salem, and Sheriff Ragen, of Carlyle.

We wish to extend our sincere thanks to the kind friends and neighbors for their loving assistance and tender sympathy during our sad bereavement in the death of our loving husband and father.
Mrs. Sarah A. Starks and family

Friday, 28 Mar 1913:
One Dead, Three Injured

Marion—James Martin, mail clerk is dead, and H. Sayers, engineer, is injured so badly that he will lose both legs if not his life, as the result of Chicago & Eastern Illinois passenger No. 126 going through an open switch one fourth mile south of the station at Johnston City, north of Marion, and crashing into the engine of local freight train No. 117.  The mail car was completely wrecked, as was the engine of the passenger.
Woman Killed by a Train.

Carlyle—Mrs. Ben Hilmes was instantly killed at Bartelso, Ill.  She was walking on the track of the Southern Railway near her home and being partially deaf, did not hear the approach of the flyer.
Mail Carrier Is Suicide

Harrisburg—Ewing Hutchinson, rural mail carrier on route 3, committed suicide here.  His body was found in a barn loft with an empty carbolic acid vial near.  The cause of the action is not known.
Miss Anna Trampert received a message Tuesday announcing the death of Mrs. Ben Belt, which occurred at her home in Tulsa, Okla.  Mrs. Belt was a former resident of this city and had a large circle of friends both here and in Cairo.  Mr. Belt was for many years connected with the Rhodes-Burford Furniture Company, holding the position as manager in this city.

After an illness of many months duration, Miss Myrtle Baccus died on Easter Sunday morning at her home in this city.  Tuberculosis with which the young lady had been afflicted for a long time was the cause of her death.

Miss Myrtle was born and raised in this county, having come to this city from Olmsted, where she was born, and is the daughter of William Baccus, an employee of the Walker Veneer Works of this city.

She is a devout member of the Congregational Church.

The remains were taken to Olmsted Wednesday afternoon for burial where they were laid along side of those of her mother who preceded her only a few years.  The services were held at the Congregational church conducted by Rev. Runnals of Mounds.

Friday, 18 Apr 1913:
We were sorry to learn of the death of Mrs. Eli Hill, of Rago.  The family has lost a dear member as mother’s place can never be filled.  She leaves a husband and three children to mourn here loss.  (Perks)

(Eli Hill married Mrs. Louisa J. Davault nee Beggs on 21 Mar 1892, in Union Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)
Mrs. Eva Schwartz, wife of William Schwartz, Sr., departed this life Tuesday, April 8th at her county home two miles east of Grand Chain, after an illness of one week.  Mrs. Schwartz leaves a husband and six sons besides a host of friends to mourn her loss.  All live here, but Julius who resides in Belleville, Ill., but was here at the time of her death.  Funeral services were held Wednesday at 2 p.m. in church at Grand Chain conducted by the Lutheran minister of Olmsted, after which she was laid to rest in the Masonic cemetery.  Remember father and sons, there is a vacancy in their home that never can be filled by any one, as well as mother.  The relatives have the sympathy of the community in their great sorrow. 
Berry Barnett died Wednesday morning at 8:30 and was buried at Beech Grove Cemetery.  The services was conducted by Rev. Edwards  (Meridian)
Lewis Bayless, the nineteen year old son of J. D. Bayless, a wealthy farmer, who resides five miles east of Grand Chain, was kicked in the side by a horse and killed Saturday, April 5.  Lewis’ parents had been to Grand Chain and on returning the dutiful boy came from the house in a joyful mood to take out the horse his parents had driven.  The horse was taken loose from the buggy and on entering the barn lot gate a young horse ran up turned and kicked (at possibly the harnessed horse) striking the young man in the right side.  He was hurt about 12 o’clock Saturday, April 5, died about 4 a.m. April 6.  Lewis was a good-hearted jovial boy, he was well known and to say that everyone was his friend was well demonstrated by hundreds that attended his funeral.  Remains were laid to rest in Salem Cemetery Sunday eve, April 6.  Deceased leaves a father, mother, five brothers, six sisters, and a host of friends to mourn his loss.
Bullet Goes Through Two

Johnston City—Trouble arose between James Crick and Joseph Balden, and the former, in taking an automatic revolver from his pocket, shot himself through the abdomen, the ball also passing clear through the right thigh of Balden, Crick may died.



Friday, 25 Apr 1913:

Mrs. Malvina Rife, mother of Dr. W. C. Rife and Mrs. D. W. Prindle, died at the latter’s home Sunday afternoon after an illness of two weeks.  (Villa Ridge)

             (William E. Rife married Mrs. Melvina Diltz on 19 May 1869, in Pulaski Co., Ill.  Daniel W. Prindle, Jr. married Lucy A. Rife on 3 Sep 1895, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)


We are sorry to learn of the death of little Elsie Wright at 2:30 a.m. Sunday.  (Perks)



             We desire to thank our many friends for their many acts of kindness and comforting words during our sad bereavement, the death of our wife and mother.

William Schwartz and sons


Death of William Lawler

             William, aged about 52 years and the eldest son of Edward Lawler, of this city, died at the home of his father there Wednesday morning, after an illness of over a year with dropsy.

             The deceased was born and raised in this city and at the time of his illness was an employee of the shipyard in this city.

             He is survived by his father, two sisters, Misses Mamie and Carrie, of this city, and one brother, John, who at present is employed at Helena, Ark.

             The funeral was held Friday afternoon from the Catholic church, Rev. Fr. Mumbour officiating. The funeral party was taken to Mounds by special interurban cars and the remains laid to rest in the Beech Grove Cemetery.


Word was received here by friends of the death of Mrs. Mary Crockett at her home in Hamilton, Ohio, on April 10th.  Mrs. Crockett was a former resident of this city.



Friday, 2 May 1913:

Heavy Iron Kills Oil Well Driller.

             Carlyle—S. O. Parker, an oil well driller, was killed near Central City.  A heavy piece of iron fell.


Wilson Sultan and Sherman Crossland (colored) were drowned in the big ditch last Tuesday.  (Karnak).


We hear of the death of Mrs. Pheba Runnels, one of our old Pulaski County citizens.  Her death occurred at Wickliffe, Ky., on April 16, where the remains were interred, for the reason that the high waters prevented the body being brought here for burial.  The deceased was a member of the Kennedy family of this county.  (Pulaski)



             John Youngblood, aged 22 years, 2 months, and 28 days, son of W. M. and Martha Youngblood, of America, died Wednesday morning after an illness of about 10 months.  The deceased was born near Olmsted and at the time of his illness was employed on a farm there.  He is survived by his wife and one child, father, mother, one sister, Mrs. Fannie Chamberlain, and two brothers, Garland and Oscar.

             The funeral was held Thursday afternoon at the Christian church, conducted by Rev. B. A. Hoar. Interment at Beech Grove Cemetery.

             (William Youngblood married Martha Jane Odel on 23 Feb 1886, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)



Friday, 9 May 1913:

Marion Atherton and family attended the funeral of John Youngblood’s baby at America.  (Bryan)


Miner Shot in Feud Dies.

             DuQuoin—Pleasant Day, a miner of Pinckneyville, shot by Henry Hoagland, died in the Murphysboro hospital.  Hoagland has been released on a bond of $1,000 for his appearance before the grand jury.


Slain Man’s Companion Held.

             Murphysboro—The coroner’s jury held Henry Hoagland to the Perry County grand jury for the killing of Pleasant Day.  They were lifetime friends.  Hoagland is said to have shot Day, who died in a Murphysboro hospital.



Friday, 16 May 1913:
Mrs. Ben Higgins, of St. Louis, and Mrs. Mollie Woods, of Cairo, are at the bedside of their sister, Mrs. James Crenshaw, who is at this time very low.  (Bryan)


Rev. Bumpus failed to fill his appointment at New Concord, Sunday, on account of the death of his father-in-law.  (Bryan)


A murder was committed out on the west side of town (Pulaski) Tuesday at 1 p.m.  One young man struck another on the head with an ax and crushed his skull.  No one seen the killing.  The coroner’s jury had no clue except the testimony of the defendant, who surrendered to the officer and is in jail.  The boys, both colored, were strawberry pickers and were in a house on the farm of Clint Richardson.  One was raised up here and the other one from Tennessee.  They had, it is said, been in trouble before.


Died, in Karnak, Ill., May 5, 1913, Raymond Brayton, aged 15 years, 4 months and 5 days, son of Sister and Brother Walter Brayton, of this place.  Burial at Solomon Cemetery.  He was a member of the M. E. Church and had lived a true Christian life.  Funeral services were conducted by Rev. Jesse L. Finley.

             (Walter Brayton married Mary Shanks on 2 Jun 1892, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)



Friday, 23 May 1913:

Mrs. Charles Wright died about four o’clock, Friday afternoon, of last week, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. James Odle.  Interment at Concord Cemetery.  (Fruitville)


Mrs. Elmer Claxton died Sunday afternoon at her home near Villa Ridge.  We hear that her sister died on the morning of the same day. (Fruitville)



             Uriah Butler, aged 74 years, one of the old and most highly esteemed residents of Pulaski County, died at his home in Villa Ridge last Monday, the 19th inst., after a brief illness.  The funeral services were held in the Villa Ridge Cemetery, Wednesday, under some large shade trees near the grave, and was attended by a large number of relatives, old friends and member of the G. A. R. and K. of P. lodges of the village of which he was a member.  The deceased leaves a wife, two brothers, four sisters to mourn his loss.  Mrs. Della B. Wright, of Los Angeles, Calif., Alonzo D. Butler, of Long Beach, Calif., Mrs. Susan E. Hanes, of Mounds, Abner D. Butler and Mrs. E. F. Lewis, of Pulaski, and Mrs. Sarah K. Mills, of Terre Haute, Ind., besides many nieces and nephews.  During the Civil War, he enlisted from this county in August 1862 in Company I of the 81st Illinois Volunteer infantry and participated in the battles of Vicksburg, Guntown and other engagements.  Mr. Butler was postmaster at Villa Ridge for two terms under President Cleveland and was a justice of the peace of the town for over twenty years.

             (Uriah Butler, 24, born in Cincinnati, Ohio, of Valley Forge, Pulaski Co., Ill., enlisted in Co. I, 81st Illinois Infantry as a corporal, and was discharged 21 Jan 1865, for promotion in 49th U. S. Colored Infantry. Uriah Butler married Mrs. Catharine Wofford on 17 Oct 1869, in Pulaski Co., Ill.  Wesley Lewis married Elizabeth F. Butler on 30 Nov 1870, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)



Friday, 30 May 1913:


             Edward, the nineteen year old son of Mr. and Mrs. William Fitzgerald, of this city, was accidentally shot and killed Tuesday afternoon by Herman Reese, while the two were employed berry picking on the farm of J. I. Thurston, near Pulaski.

             We have been reliably informed that the shooting was purely accidental, the gun being discharged as Reese was placing the same in a window for the night.  The bullet entered just behind the left ear and striking the brain caused instant death.

             It is thought the funeral will be held Friday and interment in Catholic cemetery at Mounds.



             Charles, the 21-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Behrendt, prominent farmers residing near Villa Ridge, died last week Friday afternoon at the home of Edward Parker, where he had been making his home of the past year.  The cause of his death is pronounced as malignant malaria fever.

             The young man was held in the very highest esteem by the country folks throughout the county, this being shown by the large number of friends who gathered at the Parker home Sunday to attend the funeral and accompany the remains to Beech Grove Cemetery, where they were laid to rest.  The services were conducted by Rev. Dunlap, pastor of the Lutheran church at Cairo.

             (Daniel Behrent married Fredericka Standtacher on 18 Jan 1885, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)



             We wish to thank the friends and neighbors who so kindly assisted during the sickness and death of our son and brother.

Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Behrendt and family



Friday, 6 June 1913:

Another murder committed at Mounds during the past week, and a couple of fellows are now in the county jail awaiting trial to see who is the guilty party.  A colored fellow named Baker Dobbins was killed.


Miss Alice Wilson, daughter of W. D. Wilson, of this city, died at the family home last week Tuesday evening after a short illness.  She was a member of the A. M. E. Church and of the S. M. T. lodge, who conducted the funeral services.



Friday, 13 Jun 1913:

John Cestler, of Rago, was drowned last Saturday night and was found Sunday at 5 a.m.  He leaves a father, mother wife and two children.  (Perks)



Friday, 20 Jun 1913:

Mr. and Mrs. Pleas Meeks, of Cypress, lost one of their twin babies last Friday.  Interment at Villa Ridge Saturday afternoon. (Edith Chapel)



             Joel G. Rhine, of Mound City, Ill., aged 62 years, died at St. Mary’s Infirmary in Cairo, at 10:00 p.m. June 17, 1913, following an operation for appendicitis.  Funeral services were held at the Congregational church in Mound City at 3:30 p.m. Thursday June 19, Rev. Runnals officiating.  Interment in Beech Grove Cemetery.

             Mr. Rhine was born in Warsaw, Ind., April 26, 1851, and has been one of the good citizens of Mound City most of the time since 1888, when he first came here.  He was married to Miss Florence Connor, of Warsaw, Ind., the now sorrowing widow, December 24, 1872, who with John W. Rhine, of Charleston, Mo., are the nearest surviving relatives.

             The deceased was an unpretentious, honest, upright, Christian citizen, highly esteemed by all who knew him.  He was a leading member of the Congregational Church here, as also of the I. O. O. F. Lodge, No. 250.  For many years he had a general store here in the building now occupied by Murphy & Co., after which he was in the lumber manufacturing business, with his brother at Charleston, Mo., returning here six years or more ago.  Since that time he has been in poor health and has led a retired life.


Miss Bessie Galliher, daughter of Prof. and Mrs. T. A. Galliher, former residents of Mound City, died at the home of her parents in Hume, Ill., May 20, from tuberculosis.  The remains were laid to rest at El Paso, Ill., with Eastern Star honors.



Friday, 27 Jun 1913:

Horace Fellenstein, formerly of this place (Grand Chain), now an I. C. R. R. employee, was thought fatally injured at Mounds last week by being jammed between two cars while coupling, but is still alive and some hopes of his recovery.


Sunday night Joe Watts passed away.  He was a highly esteemed colored man, sincerely respected by both white and colored.  He had lived in this city about 20 years, was a plasterer and bricklayer.  He was about 56 years of age.  He is survived by a wife, a son and a daughter.  He was a member of the A. M. E. Church, Masonic Order and Odd Fellows.  Interment was made at Beech Grove Tuesday afternoon, June 24th.


Mrs. Gertrude DeGelder, a Hollander, aged 92 years, and probably the oldest resident in Alexander County, passed away at her home in Cairo last Thursday night.  The cause of her death was due to the infirmities of old age.


Card of Thanks

For the many kind words and acts of consolation and comfort extended me during the recent illness, deceased and burial of my beloved husband, I desire to hereby express my most sincere thanks.

Mrs. Florence Rhine



Friday, 4 Jul 1913:

Bishop Janssen of Belleville, Ill., died Wednesday, aged 78 years.  He had been ill since the eve of the celebration of his twenty-fifth anniversary as bishop.

Charles Vaughn, a thirteen year-old negro boy, was drowned in the Ohio River, opposite the Polk Preserving Co.’s plant Monday afternoon while out swimming with a party of boys.  The body was recovered by a young white boy.



John O’Sullivan, city marshal of this city, was shot and probably fatally injured about 10:30 o’clock Wednesday night by an unknown negro.

O’Sullivan was attempting to arrest a negro, the companion of the shootist, when the stranger shoved his revolver into the marshal’s stomach and fired, the bullet passing entirely through the body, and which may prove fatal.

Sheriff Wehrenberg and a posse of citizens left immediately in search of the two negroes, but up to the time of going to press, only the murderer’s pal had been caught, but we feel safe in the belief the would-be murderer will be in custody by tomorrow morning.

The murderer is described as a negro about five feet six inches, in height, in his shirt sleeves, wore light hat, white shirt, stiff collard, tie with stickpin, and blue serge trousers.


Mr. and Mrs. Charles Cherry and children, of Charleston, Mo., passed through our city Saturday on their way to Valley Recluse where they were called on account of the serious illness of Mrs. Cherry’s father, Mr. Fred Dauksch.

             (Charles H. Cherry married Emma A. Dauksch, daughter of Fred Dauksch and Hanna Starwitzke, on 30 Dec 1900, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)



Friday, 11 Jul 1913:

We are pleased to announce that City Marshal O’Sullivan is recovering very nicely from his murderous gunshot wound.  We hope to see him on duty again soon.



Friday, 18 Jul 1913:

Aunt Jane Hoopaw returned home Sunday from the bedside of her daughter, Mrs. Etta Ledbetter, of Mt. Pleasant, who is very ill at this writing.  (Bryan)

             (Benton Ledbetter married Etta Hoopaw on 7 Dec 1888, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)


Murphysboro—Henry Buckels died, one hundred and two years old.  He was born in North Carolina March 6, 1811, and has lived in this county one hundred years.



Friday, 25 Jul 1913:

Grandma Rose died Wednesday of last week at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Bob Fournia, at Grand Chain Landing.  She had a stroke of paralysis several days ago from which she never recovered.


Isaac Culbertson died here (Grand Chain) Saturday after being sick nearly all summer.  He leaves a wife, two sons and four daughters to mourn his loss.  Laid to rest in Masonic Cemetery.


Allen Taylor died about four o’clock Monday morning after only a few hours’ illness of severe cramps or congestion of the stomach.  Was buried at five o’clock the same day in the Masonic Cemetery.  (Grand Chain)



Friday, 1 Aug 1913:

Gib Foster, the stepson of E. M. Rife, went to Poplar Bluff on Thursday of last week with his mother and went in Black River bathing and cut his heel on something and was taken very sick and died Sunday and was brought here on Monday a corpse.  Gib was a fine young man and liked by everyone.  The funeral of the young man was largely attended.  He was a Woodman and was buried with the honors of the order.  (Pulaski)


Stella, wife of Mack Allen, departed this life Monday morning and was buried July 29, at the Union graveyard, age 21 years.  (Edith Chapel)



Haywood Chambliss, of Mounds, one of the most prominent and well-to-do colored merchants in southern Illinois, died Monday night while en route to Rochester, Minn., where he expected to undergo and operation for Bright’s disease at the Mayo sanitarium.

He was accompanied by his son and Dr. Sealey, they returning home with the body Wednesday night.

The deceased is survived by his wife and five children.

             The funeral was held Thursday afternoon and the remains laid to rest in Beech Grove Cemetery.


Thelma Aleta, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. R. E. Devore, died at their home on Main Street at 3 o’clock Monday morning, after a few days illness of cholera infantum, aged 7 months and 2 days.  Funeral services were conducted at the residence at 1:45 o’clock Tuesday afternoon by Rev. J. C. Anderson, rector of St. Peter’s Episcopal Church.  The remains were interred at Beech Grove Cemetery.

             (Robert E. Devore married Laura F. Hughlet on 30 Dec 1889, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)



Friday, 8 Aug 1913:

Mr. and Mrs. A. J. Droney’s little babe was buried Sunday at Pea Ridge Cemetery.  (Perks)


Mrs. A. L. Compton was called to St. Louis Tuesday on account of the serious illness of her sister, Mrs. I. N. McElroy, of Chester, who underwent an operation at a St. Louis hospital.

             (Amos L. Compton married Daisy G. Whiteaker on 6 Jun 1900, in Johnson Co., Ill.  I. N. McElroy married Arista A. Whiteaker on 25 Oct 1885, in Johnson Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)


Fred Lewis, an employee of the Welco Company, died Wednesday at the hospital in Cairo, where he was taken for treatment for a very severe case of malaria.  The young man had relatives in Connecticut and possibly the remains will be shipped there for interment.


Mrs. Ella Cowgill, wife of William B. Cowgill, died at the home of her mother, Mrs. John Hall, on Main Street at 10 o’clock Sunday evening of tuberculosis, aged 22 years.  The funeral services were held at the Methodist church Tuesday afternoon conducted by Rev. M. B. Baker.  Interment at Beech Grove Cemetery.


Simon Webb, a negro boiler washer employed by the Illinois Central railroad at Mounds, dropped dead Saturday afternoon.  Death was due to hemorrhage of the lungs.



Friday, 15 Aug 1913:

Our community (Villa Ridge) was shocked at noon Saturday at the finding of the body of W. T. Gatton, who evidently had started for home from Mounds and was overcome by heart trouble.  He had suffered several severe strokes heretofore, but as no assistance was at hand this time, he succumbed.  He is survived by a wife and son and a host of relatives and friends.



             Gilbert Foster was born at Monroe ___ Ind., in the year 1894.  He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. E. M. Rife, of Pulaski.  Died Sunday, July 27th, at Poplar Bluff, Mo., at the home of his uncle, Mr. J. D. Cowan.  He was stricken the day previous of his death with congestion of the brain and through medical assistance was promptly rendered, death was not to be denied a __ghtly, good-natured young man, the favorite of his kin and companions, who without him have been in ___l loneliness since he left them.  No more will he join with them in their wishes nor take part in their pretty ___.  He is in God’s own playground, his place on earth is vacant.  Only He in His infinite wisdom can tell us why.  He has gone from this world to another.

             The funeral occurred Tuesday, July 29.  Services being held and interment being made at Rose Hill Cemetery at Pulaski.

A loving cousin,

Mrs. Charles Nesbitt

30 Nicholson Place

St. Louis, Mo.

             He was a member of the M. E. Church at Pulaski, Ill., also a M. W. A. and was buried with the honors of that order.

             The Bulletin, Evening Citizen and Mounds News-Tribune papers please copy.



Friday, 22 Aug 1913:

Cairo, Aug. 15.—Ryburn W. Crice, a young man of Barlow, Ky., enjoying his liberty on a $5,000 bail for having killed Drurpe Phillips, also of that place several months ago, was arrested in Cairo by the police upon information from Barlow that he had fled his bond and was trying to escape to St. Louis.  At the time of the killing, Crice and Phillips with others had been to Mound City in an automobile.  The men were drinking heavily and Crice and Phillips quarreled.  Phillips cut Crice with a knife.  When he stopped over to crank the automobile, which had been stopped along the road, Crice picked up a club from a fence nearby and struck Phillips over the head.


Mrs. Harper, an aged colored lady, died at her home last week.  (Perks)


Mrs. A. P. Newhard died on Monday evening at 8:30 o’clock.  Funeral at the M. E. church Wednesday at 10 o’clock conducted by Rev. Graham.  Interment at Villa Ridge cemetery.  (Pulaski)

             (Her marker in Cairo City Cemetery at Villa Ridge reads:  Jennie Newhard Born April 18, 1850 Died Aug. 18, 1913.—Darrel Dexter)


Andrew Isbell, of Liberty, died suddenly on Tuesday evening.  He was in his yard and had been at work all day preparing a load of peaches to take to town on Wednesday.  His wife was in Chicago.  (Pulaski)



On Tuesday night of this week occurred the death of Andrew Isbell, one of Pulaski County’s well known and highly esteemed colored residents, and who at the time of his death was residing on his farm near Villa Ridge.

The deceased was fifty years of age and is survived by his wife.  He was a member of the Masons, and the funeral services will be conducted by that lodge.

(Andrew Isbell married Mrs. Sarah Patterson on 30 Dec 1886, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)
A. P. Clark received a message last Saturday informing him of the death of his brother, Frank Clark, who was located a Lajunta, Colo., and was killed in a motor cycle accident at that place.  The body was shipped to Altoona, Pa., his former home for burial.  Mr. Clark was a machinist by trade and was at one time employed in the shops at Cairo.

Friday, 29 Aug 1913:
Mr. Andrew Isbell, the well-known and highly respected colored man, who died out near Liberty a few days ago, was the owner of 20 acres of land where he lived and he owned 80 acres on Cache, what was known as the Cold Springs.  He owned 6 head of horses, 2 good mules, wagons, buggies, and good farming implements.  He was a Mason and a member of several other orders.  He was buried with honors of the Masons.  His brother is here helping to see after the estate.  (Pulaski)
Quite a number of our (Edith Chapel) citizens attended the funeral of the late Andrew Isbell at Villa Ridge last Friday
Mrs. Isbell was called home last week on account of the death of her husband.  (New Hope)
Mrs. Uriah Butler has broken up housekeeping and gone to live with her granddaughter, Mrs. George Miller, at Mounds.  (Villa Ridge)

George Durden, who a number of years ago was given a life sentence in the penitentiary from Pulaski County, was this week denied a pardon by Governor Dunne.

Durden was charged with, tried for, the murder of Marshal Hileman, a merchant at Villa Ridge, and sentenced to be hanged, but a new hearing was had, and he was sentenced to the penitentiary for life.  Since he has been serving his sentence, a church association in Wisconsin has been endeavoring to secure his release.

Friday, 5 Sep 1913:

Clyde Harding, aged 28 years, died at the home of Mr. and Mrs. R. B. Pollock, on Oak Street at Mounds at 5:45 o’clock Wednesday of tuberculosis, after an illness of about a year.  He was employed as switchman for the Illinois Central until last January when he was forced to resign on account of ill health.

He is survived by his wife (nee Ival Pollock), his parents, Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Harding, and one sister, Mrs. Maud Boyd.  The funeral was held Friday afternoon.  Interment at Beech Grove Cemetery.
DIED:  Tuesday morning, Sept. 2d, 1913, Martha May, infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. E. W. Craig, residing on Walnut and Fourth streets.  The little one was one month and two days of age.  The funeral party was conveyed to South Mounds through the courtesy of Warder Harris, in his gasoline wagon, where they boarded the Billy Bryan passenger, at 4:30 Wednesday morning, bound for McClure, in north Alexander County, the Craig family’s former home.  Interment was made in the Lindzay Cemetery, where a host of former neighbors and friends joined the funeral cortege.

Friday, 12 Sep 1913:
Word has been received of the serious illness of Miss Olive Buckle at Denver, Colo., where she has spent the past three years in an endeavor to regain her health.  Her sister, Mrs. Bert Bennett and brother, George B. Buckle, are with her.  (Villa Ridge)
Dr. and Mrs. Doty returned last week from a four-month stay in California with their son, Prof. John Doty and family.  The doctor was called to Murphysboro the same day he arrived home to attend the funeral of his brother.
Died, Sept. 2, 1913, the boy twin baby of Mr. and Mrs. James Johnson.
A colored man by the name of Sam Collier, who had been employed on a cotton plantation in Arkansas, was discovered at Center Station, halfway between this city and Mounds, last night, crushed to death by the 9:40 interurban southbound, the body was found at 10:30 last night.  On the body was found ten dollars, a bottle of whisky and a pistol.
G. L. Utter, aged 79 years, died at Mounds, Sunday, September 7th, 1913, of pneumonia.  Mr. Utter was formerly a citizen of Mt. Carmel, Ill., an extensive real estate there and was engaged in that business until his last illness seized him.  He had been very successful in his business and was highly esteemed by his wide circle of acquaintances.  The decedent is survived by his wife, five sons and two daughters.  Interment at Mt. Carmel on Tuesday.
The infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Slaughter, Nina Marie, aged 17 months, died Monday morning, at 7:30 o’clock.  The little one had been ill several weeks.  Funeral services were conducted at St. Mary’s Catholic Church, by Rev. Fr. Mumbour, Tuesday morning.  The pallbearers were boys under ten years of age, Masters Walter O’Sullivan, Earl Cahill, Albert Lutz, R. E. Devore.  Interment in St. Mary’s Cemetery at Mounds.
Mrs. Will Allen’s son, Clarion, 13 years of age, died Monday night after an illness lasting a month, of typhoid fever.  Funeral services are held Thursday afternoon, conducted by Rev. M. B. Baker, pastor of Grace M. E. Church, interment in the Beech Grove Cemetery, at Mounds.  The pallbearers were:  Fred Wehrenberg, Corlis Parker, Rolla Kennedy, Milton Ford, Clayborn Davis, Thomas Davis, Bernie McDaniels, and Herman Pate.  It was indeed an impressive scene as the remains were borne to the cemetery, conveyed by four little boys, followed by about fifteen playmates of near his age, each of whom carrying garlands of flowers in token of their friendship for their appreciable departed companion.  Charion was an exceptionally bright boy and had a host of friends.  He was promoted to the 7th grade at the last term of school, but did not get to start on this term.

Friday, 19 Sep 1913:
Mrs. Mamie Myers, wife of Gus Myers, died at her home in Valley Recluse early Monday morning after several years suffering.  Her many friends extend sympathy to the bereaved family.  The funeral was held at the Catholic church at Mounds, interment at Beech Grove Cemetery.
The remains of our esteemed friend, the Rev. T. C. Gaunt, were brought here (Grand Chain) Monday for burial from his home in Beebe, Ark.  Brother Tom, as he was called, was born and reared here having moved away only about one year.  To know him was to love him. He was a member of the Christian Church at this place, an influential and devoted Christian.  He leaves a wife, three sons, four daughters, two brothers, and one sister, besides a host of relatives and friends to mourn his loss.  Our heart goes out in sympathy to the bereaved wife, fatherless children and the brothers and sister who mourn his loss.  May the God of infinite mercy watch over and protect them and touch their sore and bleeding hearts with the healing balm of peace and love.

(Thomas C. Gaunt married Luella M. Bartleson on 4 Aug 1886, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)
Mrs. T. C. Gaunt returned to her home in Beebe, Ark., Tuesday with two daughters after the funeral of her husband, Rev. T. C. Gaunt.  The Masons and Eastern paid a beautiful tribute to the burial of Rev. Gaunt.

Mrs. Gus Myers, aged 44 years, died at her home in Villa Ridge at 4 o’clock Monday morning of dropsy of which she had been a sufferer for the past year.

The deceased is survived by her husband, daughter, Myrtle; a son, Henry; a sister, Mrs. S. Harmon, of St. Louis; and five brothers, Louis, Harry, Claude and Robert Stout, of Cairo and Tom Stout, of Mounds.

Funeral services were held Wednesday afternoon at 1:00 o’clock at St. Raphael’s Church at Mounds conducted by Rev. Fr. Mumbour of this city.  Interment in Beech Grove Cemetery.

(August Meyer married Mamie Stout on 10 Dec 1890, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)

Thomas C. Gaunt, aged 51 years, died Saturday night at his home at Beebe, Ark., after a lingering illness.

Mr. Gaunt had resided in Grand Chain the greater part of his life.  He was a prosperous farmer and was well known throughout Southern Illinois.  He was a member of Grand Chain lodge No. 660, A. F. & A. M. and of the Christian Church.

He is survived by his wife and four daughters, Miss Letitia, of Chicago, Ruby, Thelma, and Ida Rose, and thee sons, Blake of North Dakota, Luke of Kit Carson, Colo., and Blair of Beebe, a sister, Mrs. John McIntire, of Grand Chain, and two brothers, Charles M. Gaunt, of this city, and William Gaunt, of Grand Chain.  His body was brought to Grand Chain where the funeral was held Monday afternoon.  Services were conducted at the Christian church by Rev. Stone and services at the grave were conducted by the Masonic order.  The remains were laid to rest in the Masonic cemetery.
             (John M. McIntire married Essie M. Gaunt, daughter of Ambrose G. Gaunt and Sarah H. Youngblood, on 31 May 1891, in Union Co., Ill.—Darrrel Dexter)


Friday, 26 Sep 1913:
One death reported in Karnak from spinal meningitis.  Hope it can be stamped out at once.  Karnak had a siege of diphtheria last fall.  (Grand Chain)
By order of Pythian Sisters, Belle of Egypt Temple No. 184

WHEREAS, the Supreme Ruler of the universe has seen fit to summons from our midst our true friend and sister, Allie Smith, from her labors on earth to eternal happiness in the Grand Temple above, where no discordant voice shall arise, and love divine enables every heart.  Be it further

RESOLVED, that the husband has lost a faithful wife and the sons a loving mother and other friends a kind friend and adviser.

RESOLVED, that a copy of these resolutions be published in the county paper and a copy of the same be spread in the lodge minutes and a copy be presented to the family.
Lola C. Carney
Annie E. Carson
Rebecca Thompson, Comm



             A frightfully fatal shooting scrape occurred a few miles north of Grand Chain Monday evening, in which three brothers, Joseph, John and Bige Hill engaged, in the presence of their widowed mother, resulting in the instant death of Joe and John and seriously wounding Bige.

             It is reported that the brothers and mother, who all live together, as has been their custom for many years, engaged in a family quarrel, Sunday, in which blows were passed and threats of violence were made.  Whereupon, Monday, Mrs. Hill, accompanied by Joe, came to the county seat and swore out a state’s warrant for the arrest of John and Bige, and upon their arrival at home in the evening, the family quarrel was resumed with added furry, upon receiving the intelligence that John and Bige were soon to be under arrest.

             In a few minutes, two of the man lay in the embrace of death, and one was thought to be fatally shot.  Bige, the survivor of the bloody conflict, is in the county jail awaiting the action of the grand jury in October.

             (Joel D. Hill married Nancy Wilhelms on 3 Jan 1863, in Pulaski Co., Ill.  Joel D. Hill married Belinda J. Wilhelm on 9 Dec 1874, in Pulaski Co., Ill.  The 1910 census of Grand Chain Precinct, Pulaski Co., Ill., contains the following household:  Jane B. Hill, 52, born in Illinois, widow; Joe, 35; Webster, 32; John F., 23, son; Bige, 21, son; Maud, 17, born in Missouri, daughter-in-law; Dortha M., 5, granddaughter; Mark, 15, son; Luther L., 1, grandson.  The 1900 census of Grand Chain Precinct, Pulaski Co., Ill., contains the following household:  Melinda J. Hill, 42; Joe, 25; Johnnie, 14; Eliza, 12; Mark, 5.—Darrel Dexter)



             Last Friday, Sept, 19, 1913, the active useful and influential life work of Rev. Father Pieper was brought to a close by his soul’s departure form the activities of a beautiful, unselfish, holy life and that at an age when a minister’s work of life, light and love, is but fairly begun.  His demise having occurred at the early age of forty years, at Ruma, Ill., where for several years he held the pastorate of the Catholic Church, the funeral took place on Tuesday of this week from St. Ruma Catholic Church.

             Father Peiper, up to a few years ago, was pastor of the parish at Grand Chain, this county, for a period of eleven years, where also he conducted a very successful parish school.  He was temporarily pastor for St. Joseph’s Catholic Church in Cairo for some years since, during Rev. Fr. Deipenbrock’s vacation trip to Europe.  Grand Chain Parish was Father Peiper’s first ministerial charge.

             Father Peiper was not only popular as a priest, but was also a highly appreciated general citizen.  He was quite well known and highly esteemed amongst the people of this city.



Friday, 3 Oct 1913:


             Miss Olive Buckle was born at Villa Ridge, Ill., Dec. 11, 1876, died at Denver, Colorado, Sept. 33, 1913.  She leaves to mourn her loss, five sisters, Mrs. Rose Roche and Mrs. Alpha Emmert, of Villa Ridge, Mrs. Edith Johnson, of Mounds, Mrs. Bertha Bennett and Mrs. Florence Houghlan, of Cairo, two brothers, J. W. Buckle, of Villa Ridge, and G. B. Buckle, of Glenwood Springs, Colo., and a host of relatives and friends.

             Miss Olive for several years was a most competent and successful teacher of the schools of Pulaski County, having taught at Villa Ridge and Meridian and also at Mound City, where some four years ago her health began to fail.  Three years ago, on Sept. 1st she entered the Agnes Phips Sanitarium at Denver, where she remained a year with more or less improvement, since which time she has been at different points in Colorado, where she was accompanied from time to time by her brother, G. B. Buckle.  In February last, her condition became very serious and her sister, Mrs. Bert Bennett, of Cairo, joined her and with sisterly devotion attended her until the end came on Sept. 23rd.  The remains were brought to the home of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Roche, on Friday last and the funeral was held from the Congregational church Sunday afternoon, conducted by the Rev. A. B. Bell, assisted by a choir composed of members of the Methodist and Congregational churches.  The inclemency of the weather prevented many friends from attending this last service.  She was laid to rest under a bower of flowers beside the father, mother and brother, who had gone before.

             (Frank B. Emmert married Alferretta Buckle on 11 Oct 1898, in Pulaski Co., Ill.  Robert Lee Johnson married Edith Ellis Buckle, daughter of Thomas Buckle and Malinda Boner, on 3 Jan 1895, in Pulaski Co., Ill.  Henry E. Koonce Florence Anna Buckle, daughter of Thomas Buckle and Melinda Boner, on 4 Jul 1898, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)



             The brothers and sisters of Miss Olive Buckle desire to thank the many friends who so kindly assisted and sympathized with us in our sad bereavement, also for the beautiful flowers donated.



             The mother, brothers, sisters and a host of other friends of James T. McNeile, were surprised and deeply grieved at the sad tidings of his sudden death, which occurred at Paducah, Ky., early Saturday morning, following an illness of only three days.  When the news of his death reached his family in this city, his brothers went to Paducah and brought the remains to the home of his mother, on High and West First Street, to await preparations for the funeral.  Funeral services were held at St. Mary’s Catholic Church Monday morning at 8:30 o’clock, conducted by Rev. Fr. Mumbour, interment in the Catholic cemetery at Mounds.

             Mr. James Thomas McNeille, son of Mr. and Mrs. Patrick McNeille, was born and reared in this city, and had attained the age of 38 years.  He is survived by his son, about seven years of age, his aged mother, four brothers, Peter, Patrick, John and William, and five sisters, Mrs. Dan O’Sullivan, Misses Mary, Rose and Cathyrne, of this city, and (Ella) Sister Sabastina of Cairo, his wife having died about three years ago.

             Mr. McNeille was a ship carpenter and had been employed recently at the Paducah marine ways.

             (Daniel O’Sullivan married Julia McNeal on 9 Nov 1892, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)



             Mrs. Martha E. Pullum, aged 80 years and 9 months, of Norris City, Ill., was accidentally killed Saturday afternoon by having fallen from a plank walk improvised for the purpose of transferring passengers from the Iron Mountain Railroad cars onto the transfer steamer plying between Bird’s Point, Mo., and Cairo.

             Mrs. Pullum had been visiting her daughter at Rector, Ark., since last July and was en route to visit her sons in Eldorado and Norris City, Ill., when the fatal accident occurred.

             It is said that instead of having a safe, accommodating passage way with banisters and railings provided for the convenience and safety of the patrons of the road, a narrow plank is laid on the rock rip-rapping down a steep incline to the transfer boat from the cars, and that this plank is too narrow to admit of two persons walking side by side on it, it was from this miserable excuse of a walk that the aged, decrepit lady fell, fracturing her skull on the back of her head.

             Upon arriving at Cairo, the injured woman was given medical and surgical attention and placed aboard the Big Four car to continue her journey homeward, but upon the arrival of the train here, she was noticed to be sinking and Dr. Simon Willard was summoned to give her attention, but she had expired at about 4:50.  The body was removed to the Montgomery & Stockton undertaking rooms for the undertaker’s care and to await the arrival of relatives.  On the Sunday afternoon three of her sons, Leslie, John and Oscar Pullum arrived to take the remains home.  The deceased is survived by five sons and a daughter.  She was a member of the Christian Church.

             It is said that an aged man a few days since fell from that same plank walk and narrowly escaped serious injury.  It is difficult to understand why the people do not arise in their might and see to it that that death trap is abolished.



Friday 10 Oct 1913:

Two children, aged 7 and 9 years, were buried here (Grand Chain) last Friday.  They lived in a shanty boat on the river.



             John C. Hurst, formerly a citizen of Pulaski, this county, died at his late home in Mt. Carmel, Ill., of liver trouble, on Wednesday of this week.  Mr. Hurst was 46 years of age, and is survived by a wife, a daughter, three brothers, and three sisters, of whom Mrs. H. V. Handley, of this city, is one.  He had been a Big Four passenger conductor the past six years.  The funeral service will be held in that city next Saturday.

             (This may be the same person as John C. Hurst, who married Belle Grammer on 1 Jun 1893, in Alexander Co., Ill.  Harry Vantrees Handley married Sarah Duncan Hurst, daughter of Michael and Margaret Jane Hurst, on 16 Sep 1900, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)



Friday, 17 Oct 1913:

Mrs. M. Hurst, Mrs. H. V. Handley and Miss Lulu Hurst have returned from Mt. Carmel, where they attended the funeral of their son and brother, John Hurst, which occurred Saturday.



Friday, 24 Oct 1913:


             The death of Theodore M. Ford, of this city, which occurred Saturday, at 8:25 p.m., precisely four weeks from the time he was stricken with typhoid fever, removes from our midst one of our most popular influential, and highly esteemed citizens.

             Mr. Ford had been declining in health the past several months, suffering intensely with stomach disorder, and while his neighbors and friends here and elsewhere were not prepared for the sad news of dissolution, but his family and near relatives were some days since apprised of his serious illness.  Mr. Ford had passed his 60th year, was born and reared to manhood in McMinnville, Tenn., having come to this city thirty-two years ago and engaged in the sawmill business with A. W. Williamson, which enterprise has grown to immense proportions under the style of Williamson-Kuny Mill & Lumber Company, of which interest he was vice president.  He was also a stockholder in the Crystal Ice plant, the ice plant in Metropolis, and in the First National Bank of this city, he also owned the two-story Ford business building on Main Street, occupied on the first floor by Sandeson’s Pharmacy and on the second floor by the offices of Dr. Simon Willard, Dr. Seymour Hutcheson, and Dr. H. C. Rice’s dental parlors.  For several years until about thirteen years ago, he conducted a very successful dry goods business.  He has served our city faithfully as alderman, and was an influential member of the Mound City Commercial Club.  He was also a devoted member of Pilgrim Congregational Church.

             Mr. Ford is survived by his widow, two sisters and four brothers.

             Funeral services were conducted Tuesday afternoon at the Congregational Church by Rev. R. Washington Burton; interment Beech Grove.



Friday, 31 Oct 1913:

Quite a number from Ullin attended the funeral of Jessie Winstead at Wetaug Tuesday.


The people of Ullin were shocked Saturday night to hear of the death of Jessie Winstead, at Wetaug.  Jessie, with her parents, Dr. and Mrs. Winstead lived here a short time, when Jessie attended our school and was a favorite with all she came in contact, being a very bright and lovable child. Some of her classmates with Wetaug school girls acted as pallbearers.  Rev. Stiffey, of Dongola church preached the sermon, and it certainly was a loving tribute to a lovable child.  A great concourse of people attended the services at Mt. Pisgah. Jessie rests beneath a canopy of flowers given by loving friends. 

             (Marcus Winstead married Zipha Tweedy on 22 Mar 1877, in Union Co., Ill.  Her marker in Mt. Pisgah Cemetery near Wetaug reads: Jessie Winstead Born May 9, 1903 Died Oct. 25, 1913.—Darrel Dexter)



             To the many friends who so kindly and lovingly ministered to my dear husband during last illness and to me, in my hour of bereavement and sorrow I wish to return my sincere thanks.

Yours gratefully,

Mrs. T. M. Ford


Two murder cases are Bige Hill, of near Grand Chain, who admits killing his brother, Joseph, a few weeks since.  The other case is Pearl Ramsey.



             As we go to press we learn of the death of Mr. W. T. Hayden, which occurred in this city Thursday afternoon at his home on Upper Main Street, his affliction being tuberculosis.  Mr. Hayden was a retired farmer of considerable financial means, having retired to this city from his large farms in the Valley Recluse community a few years ago.  His survivors are his wife, three daughters, Mrs. J. A. Rowlette, Mrs. J. L. Wanura, and Miss Romantha, four sons, W. T. Hayden, S. J. Hayden, Earnligh Hayden, also a sister and brother.

             Funeral obsequies will be held at Grace M. E. Church, Sunday afternoon at 1:15, by his pastor, Rev. M. B. Baker.  Interment at Beech Grove Cemetery, the funeral cortege leaving on the 2:30 interurban train.



Friday, 7 Nov 1913:


             It was reported that on last Saturday, L. A. Herrin, an extensive farmer at Center Station, midway between this city and Mounds, shot and probably fatally wounded a negro living a short distance from Mr. Herrin’s residence, by the name of Bob Hill, who it is claimed was drunk and assaulted Mr. Herrin with a knife, whereupon the latter drew a 38 caliber revolver and shot his assailant through the right lung.

Mr. Herrin came to this city and surrendered to Sheriff Wehrenberg claiming self defense, filed a bond and was turned free to await the result of the wound.



             After an illness covering a period of about four years, Mrs. Margaret Westerman, one of our best known and most highly esteemed young women, passed out of this life early Friday morning.  While her death was not unexpected, yet it came as a distinct surprise and shock to her many friends and relatives.

             “Madge” Westerman, as she was familiarly known, has been a resident of this city all her life, having been born here July 23, 1881, and at the age of 23 years she was united in marriage to Edward Westerman, one of the prominent merchants of this city.

             The deceased is survived by her husband and one daughter, her mother, Mrs. Mary Mulroney, two brothers, and two sisters, also a large number of friends and relatives who are left to mourn her loss.

The funeral service will be held at St. Mary’s Catholic Church Sunday morning, Rev. Father Mumbour officiating. Interment in St. Mary’s Cemetery at Mounds.

             (James Mulroney married Mary A. Curren on 19 May 1880, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)



Friday, 14 Nov 1913:

Death entered the home of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Moak and claimed the young daughter Mildred.  All was done to relieve this dear loving child, but no, the Good Shepherd knew best and so wafted her spirit away to God who gave it.  The parents and family have our sympathy.  (Perks)

             (Robert L. Moak married Viola Stricker on 3 Oct 1895, in Johnson Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)


Mr. George Barnett died suddenly at the home of Robert Isom.  Mr. Barnett was taken with a chill and as the fever came grew gradually worse and died at 10 o’clock a.m.  He was buried in Pisgah Cemetery.  Several of his children were present.  (Perks)



             We extend our sincere and heartfelt thanks to our many kind friends for the sympathy and assistance given us in the last illness and interment of our dear wife and mother.

Edward Westermann and daughters



             Clyde Corzine, 21 years old, a brakeman employed by the Robert Grace Construction Company at Mounds, was instantly killed at 5:30 o’clock Sunday afternoon by the engine on which he was working.

He was riding on engine No. 20 and preparing to dismount to throw a switch, when he lost his foothold and fell.  He struck the engine, which cut a big gash in his head, and fell to the track, where the tender of the engine passed over his body.

             He was picked up by men who saw the accident, and his body removed to the Illinois Central ticket office.  Coroner Steele of this city held an inquest and the construction company was exonerated of any blame.

The funeral services were held Wednesday afternoon at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. L. Corzine, on Blanche Avenue.  Interment in Beech Grove Cemetery.


Mrs. A. Westerman, of Carlyle, Mrs. Eugene Kane, of New Baden, Peter Wallrath, of Evansville, Ind., and Mr. and Mrs. M. E. Williams, of Paducah, attended the funeral of Mrs. Edward Westerman, which was held Sunday morning.



             News reached this office early this morning that Mrs. W. L. Dehl, died in Memphis, Tenn., last night, Nov. 13, 1913, aged 61 years.  She was attacked five or six weeks ago with stomach trouble.  The surviving members of her family are her husband, two sons and a daughter.

             Mr. and Mrs. Dehl resided in this city on Upper Main Street for many years, while Mr. Deahl conducted a railroad station and a store at America.  None were more highly esteemed in this county than Mr. and Ms. W. L. Dehl.  We did not learn as to the funeral arrangements, whether or not the body will be brought here for burial.

             (This may be the same person as Anna C. Dunn, who married Washington L. Deahl on 28 Jun 1877, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)



Friday, 21 Nov 1913:


             We, the undersigned, extend our sincere thanks for the sympathy and assistance shown us during the sickness and death of our dear father.

The Endicott Family



             Miss Lalla Starks, aged 27 years, daughter of Mrs. Starks, died Wednesday at 12:25 o’clock at her home on Poplar Street after a few months illness of diabetes.

             Miss Starks was born and reared at Hillerman, Ill., and has resided in this city for the past four years, where she has made a host of friends.  She was employed as stenographer for the Louisiana Lumber Company in Cairo until two weeks ago, when she was compelled to resign on account of ill health.

She is survived by her mother, two sisters, Mrs. Imogene Devers and Miss Kathleen Starks and two brothers, George, of West Frankfort, Ill., and John, of this city.

             The remains were taken to Grand Chain Thursday morning on the Big Four here.  The funeral services were conducted by Rev. M. B. Baker of this city.  Interment in Grand Chain Cemetery.



             The funeral services of the late George W. Endicott, one of the oldest and most highly esteemed farmer residents of Pulaski County, was held Sunday afternoon at the Villa Ridge Congregational Church conducted by Rev. Dunlap, pastor of the Lutheran Church at Cairo.

             At the time of his death, the deceased had reached the age of 74 years and had been a resident of this county for the past 40 years.  He was a member of the Masonic Order and the services at the grave were conducted by J. A. Waugh of Trinity Lodge of this city.

             He leaves to mourn his death four sons, Robert, Edward, Louis and Charles, also two daughters, Mrs. James Gould and Mrs. Maude Redden.

             (James Gould married Georgian Endicott, daughter of George W. Endicott and Martha Galbraith, on 31 Jan 1900, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)


The funeral of Mrs. W. L. Deahl, who died Thursday night at her home in Memphis, was held Sunday afternoon in the Congregational church at Mounds, Rev. R. Washington Burton, of this city, officiating.  Quite a number from this city attended the funeral.  The remains were interred in Beech Grove Cemetery.



Friday, 28 Nov 1913:

The remains of Lalla Starks of Mound City were brought here (Grand Chain) Thursday for burial.  We extend our sympathy to the bereaved relatives. 


Undertaker William Montgomery, of Mound City, conducted the funeral of Miss Lalla Starks here (Grand Chain) last week. 


Died, at the home of his grandfather, L. D. Reese, on High and West First streets, John, a twenty-three-month-old child of Mr. and Mrs. George Barnett, Monday forenoon at about 10:30 after an illness of eighteen hours.  It is believed the little one died from an attack of “bold” hives, judged from the appearance of the body after death.  Mrs. Barnett is making her home temporarily with her father, Mr. L. D. Reese, while her husband is engaged in business in Waco, Texas.  Mr. Barnett arrived in this city on the 5 o’clock Interurban, Wednesday morning.  Funeral services were held at the Methodist church Wednesday at 2 o’clock p.m., conducted by Rev. M. B. Baker.  Interment at Beech Grove Cemetery.



Friday, 5 Dec 1913:


             WHEREAS, It has pleased our Supreme Grand Master to call our worthy Brother, George W. Endicott, from labor here to rest in the celestial lodge on high; Therefore be it

             RESOLVED, that in the death of Brother George W. Endicott, this lodge and the fraternity of Free and Accepted Masons at large have lost one of their most zealous supporters, an ardent Mason, a safe counselor, a true friend.  Bro. Endicott loved Masonry, to him it was more than the mere forms and ceremonies of the lodge room.  The lessons given him when first made a Mason to be “good and true” sank deep into his heart and met a responsive cord in his naturally kind disposition, and his life was ever one worthy of emulation.

             RESOLVED, that a page of the records of this lodge be dedicated to the memory of Bro. Endicott and that these resolutions be engrossed thereon and that a copy be furnished the family of our deceased brother with the assurance of the sympathy of the brethren of this lodge and their commendation in the hour of their desolation to our heavenly Father who will fold the arms of His love and protection around those who put their trust in Him.

J. A. Waugh

Samuel S. House

E. P. Easterday, Committee

Trinity Lodge No. 562 A. F. & A. M.


Mrs. Logan Litherland died at her home in Mt. Carmel Wednesday morning, Dec. 3rd, after a short illness, aged 35 years.  She was formerly a resident of Ullin and has many friends in this county who will be grieved to hear of her death.  The deceased is survived by her husband, four daughters, parents, a sister and two brothers.  The funeral services were held at the Methodist Church on Thursday afternoon.



Friday, 12 Dec 1913:


             Harvey Fields, who on Sept. 1, 1913, shot and instantly killed Dr. Gordon in Cairo, while the latter was en route to his office from the hospital, was this week sentenced to a term of 20 years in the penitentiary.



Friday, 19 Dec 1913:

Several from here (Bryan) attended the funeral of Mat Rife.  The bereaved relatives and friends have the sympathy of the entire neighborhood.



             As it has pleased the Great Ruler of the universe to remove from us by death our dearly beloved neighbor, Leah E. Litherland, to the great unknown from which no traveler returns.  Therefore in her death, Rose Leaf Camp No. 5876 feel that they have lost a true and faithful member and the family a devoted wife and loving mother, whose smiles and kind words cannot greet them more.

             We, as a lodge, extend to the family our deepest sympathy in this their time of great sorrow, and may God of all grace, bless and keep them steadfast until they meet on the celestial shore where parting is no more.

             RESOLVED, that a copy of these resolutions be spread upon our minutes, a copy sent to the county paper for publication and a copy sent to the bereaved family.

             We further resolve that our Charter be draped for a period of thirty days and our neighbor’s chair be draped and left vacated for a period of thirty days.

Mary Needham

Anna Carson

Lola Carney, Committee

Ullin, Ill., Dec. 14, 1913



Mr. E. M. Rife, one of the most highly respected citizens of the county, died at his home at Pulaski on last Saturday, Dec. 13, after a short illness.

Mr. Rife was born and reared in this county and was well and favorably known.  He was a member of the I. O. O. F. Lodge at Pulaski and was buried under the auspices of the Egyptian Lodge.  The funeral services were held Monday morning.  Rev. J. H. Pennock, pastor of the Calvary Baptist Church of Cairo, preached the funeral.

(E. M. Rife married Florence Spencer on 9 Sep 1891, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)


___ Moore, aged about 54 years, who was recently employed by the Grace Construction Co., at Mounds, was drowned in a small stream of water near that city Tuesday morning.  __ed that his home is at St. ___.



Friday, 26 Dec 1913:

Rev. Fr. Mumbour returned Monday evening from East St. Louis where he had been to attend the funeral of Rev. Fr. Harkins, which was held Monday morning.  Fr. Harkins was pastor of St. Mary’s Church in this city about twenty-five years ago and has a host of friends here who were grieved to hear of his death. 

Pulaski Index Page

Next Page