Obituaries and Death Notices
in Pulaski County, Illinois Newspapers

The Pulaski Enterprise

14 Jan 1910 - 30 Dec 1910

Mound City, Pulaski County, Illinois

Transcribed and annotated by Darrel Dexter

Friday, 14 Jan 1910:
Died, Jan. 11th, at 8 p.m. at her home north of Mounds, of a complication of diseases, Mrs. Ella S. Titus, wife of John W. Titus, aged 49 years, 3 months and 23 days.  Survived by five sons, Henry E., Clyde M., Spencer L., Seth L., and Raymond J.; Mrs. Marie Gozo, of Cairo, daughter; Mrs. Ed Parker and Mrs. J. F. Welson, Villa Ridge, sisters; and Mr. Frank Spencer, of Cairo, brother.  Funeral services will be held today (Friday) Jan. 14th at 2 p.m. at the family residence conducted by the Rev. Runnells of Mounds. Interment Beech Grove Cemetery, Thistlewood’s addition.

             (John W. Titus married Ella Spencer on 20 Apr 1881, in Pulaski Co., Ill.  Edward Parker married Zena Spencer on 23 Oct 1889, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)



Friday, 21 Jan 1910:

Mrs. L. W. Johnson is in Cairo to attend the funeral of her brother, Mr. Hewitt. (Ullin)



Friday, 28 Jan 1910:

Mrs. Otto Meals (colored) died Friday night and was buried Sunday afternoon at Ullin.


Ed Price died at Cairo Friday of consumption and was brought to Ullin Sunday and buried at New Hope.

             (His marker in New Hope Cemetery reads:  Edward A. son of Thomas & E. J. Price Born 1880 Died 1910.—Darrel Dexter)


Prominent Catholic Knight Dies.

             Carlyle.—J. M. Menkhaus, first supreme secretary of the Catholic Knights of Illinois, died at his home here, aged 76 years. His sons, Dr. J. B. Menkhaus and Dr. Henry Menkhaus, reside in St. Louis.


Died, Monday evening, January 24th, 1910, Wilma Elsie, the 15-month-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Elihu T. Snyder. The funeral was held at the family residence in this city Wednesday afternoon—and interment at Beech Grove Cemetery. The sorrowing father and mother have the deep sympathy of all their friends in their loss of the little one.

             (Elihu T. Snyder married Minnie Rodman on 20 Nov 1900, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)



Friday, 4 Feb 1910:

H. C. Wright, veteran of the Civil War, died last week and was buried at the Olmsted Cemetery.


The Death Angel entered the home of Mr. and Mrs. Tom Eddleman and took their little infant. Don’t grieve dear parents for Christ said, “Such is the kingdom of heaven.”


William Smith, of Valley Recluse, the young man who was accidentally shot some weeks ago died in the hospital in Cairo, Tuesday at 11 p.m. Three operations had been resorted to in the hope of saving his life—the last one being the same day he died. His father and mother and relatives have the deep sympathy of their friends in their sorrow.


Mrs. W. R. Rodman has been called to Sikeston, Mo., by the serious illness of her brother.

             (William R. Rodman married Susanna J. Jones on 5 Jun 1878, in Johnson Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)



Friday, 11 Feb 1910:

Pless Roach’s mother died last Friday. She was a middle-aged lady and had several married children. The funeral was held in the M. E. church conducted by the pastor. (Pulaski)


Warren Richey and wife attended the funeral of T. Shourd’s child here (New Hope) Monday.

             (Warren L. Richie married Lizzie Bundschuh on 20 Sep 1896, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)


Mr. and Mrs. C. G. Bundschuh were called to Ullin Saturday night by the death of their granddaughter, Doris, the little daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Shourd.

             (Charles G. Bundschuh married Mary M. Eastwood on 12 Mar 1882, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)


Ben R. Thistlewood, only son of Hon. N. B. Thistlewood, died in St. Louis Monday evening. Deceased had not been well, and was in St. Louis for treatment, but was not thought to be seriously ill. Funeral will be held from Cairo. Congressman Thistlewood left Washington for home immediately upon being notified.

             (Napoleon B. Thistlewood married Sarah A. Taylor on 6 Sep 1866, in Effingham Co., Ill.  They married again on 25 Sep 1873, in Effingham Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)



Friday, 18 Feb 1910:

Resolutions of Condolence.

             At a meeting of Farmers’ Union No. 188 the following resolutions were adopted:

             Whereas it has pleased the All Wise Creator to take from our midst Brother Lloyd Smith, be it resolved

             That we extend to his bereaved family and relatives our heartfelt sympathy.

             That in the death of Brother Smith, we the community at large have lost an honorable young man, a true friend and neighbor.

             That we drape our charter in mourning for a period of thirty days.

             That we send a copy of these resolutions to our county paper for publication and also to the Union Farmer.

J. W. Mathis

John Clancy

E. Steers, Com.


Mr. Frank Metz, formerly of this county and well known around Ullin, died at his home in Dexter, Mo., on the 16th of January. Mr. Metz was a brother of Mrs. Axley, who formerly resided at Ullin.



Friday, 25 Feb 1910:

Dead Baby Found on Track.

             Richview—A newborn baby was found on the track of the Illinois Central Railroad about two miles north of Dubois. It had evidently been thrown from a train. His head was severed from the body.


Fox Chase Was Fatal.

             Carmi.—While engaged in a fox chase, Herman Bingman broke through the ice on the Little Wabash River, below town, and was drowned. He had just resigned his position as a rural route carrier.


John T. Henry Is Dead.

             Nashville.—John T. Henry, aged 74, a prominent Washington County citizen, died Saturday morning in Irvington, after a four months’ illness. Mr. Henry served as grain inspector under the administration of Governor Yates.


Many Sheriffs to See Hanging.

             Belleville—Sheriff Charles P. Cachel has received word from the sheriffs of over half of the 102 counties of Illinois that they will be in Belleville next Friday to witness the execution of the negro, Willis Clark, for the murder of Eugene V. Goudey, East St. Louis street car man. Admission to the jail yard, which has been securely enclosed, will be through the jail. Only cards of admission signed by the sheriff will be honored.


Mrs. Emma McIntire, wife of W. A. McIntire, was born Feb. 11, 1874, departed this life Feb. 19, 1910, aged 36 years and 8 days. Deceased was a member of the Christian Church for a number of years and loved to be present at their meetings when it was so she could attend, but she was confined to her bed since last fall continuously. She was an active member of the Ladies Aid and was considered one of the best women in the community. She leaves a husband, one son and three daughters and a number of relatives and friends, which have the entire sympathy of the community. Funeral services were conducted from the Christian church Sunday, conducted by T. C. Gaunt. So we have another broken home. Another mother gone. Oh blessed are the dead who died in the Lord.

             (W. A. McIntire married Emma Davis on 18 Nov 1894, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)


Alex M. Halliday Killed.

             Mr. Alex M. Halliday, well known in Cairo, son of a former mayor of that city, was killed on the night of Feb. 17th. Interment at Beech Grove Cemetery the following Sunday, in the presence of hundreds of sorrowing friends. Mr. Halliday was killed while taking some part in a demonstration at the county jail at Cairo, the details of which have been published again and again and doubtless are familiar to our readers.

             The coroner’s jury returned a verdict not placing the blame, but stating their belief that the shot which caused Mr. Halliday’s death was fired by some deputy sheriff that night.

The papers of Cairo in reporting the matter are flatly contradictory of each other in important details. The sheriff and the governor are in controversy as to orders issued. The eye witnesses of the affair in the sworn testimony before the coroner’s jury often directly contradict each other. In the face of this mass of testimony, contradictory and confusing to official investigators, it seems to the Enterprise that comment by outside press should be wholly unintelligent, and we therefore refrain.

One matter, however, seems to stand out clearly. A man was shot. He lay on the snow for hours, unattended, in the bitter cold. It was not even known who he was. No one was allowed to touch him. Whether the governor did or didn’t give certain orders, in the name of humanity, was there anything to prevent the sheriff himself from going to the man? The crowd had withdrawn. The excitement was over. Deputies were behind him with rifles and shotguns and pistols. The man was lying in the snow but a few feet away. Possibly living. Possibly a friend of Nellis’. Yet he would not go nor send help, nor allow anyone to come to him.

To an outsider, with nothing to judge from but newspaper reports, it looks as if the sheriff lost his nerve and went absolutely to pieces.


Mrs. Dan Mills left Tuesday for Gentryville, Ind., called by the serious illness of her grandmother.



Friday, 4 Mar 1910:

The funeral of the late John Rafferty, of Memphis, Tenn., was held here Wednesday afternoon from the Catholic church, interment being at the Catholic cemetery at Mounds. The deceased is a brother of Mrs. Mary Conley, of this city, and was a former resident here. He leaves two daughters to mourn his death.



Friday, 11 Mar 1910:

By the death of Mr. James Browner that occurred last week, we lose a highly respected friend and neighbor. Obituary notice will be found elsewhere.


Claud Broyhill, aged 13, son of James Broyhill, died on Thursday last, having taken cold after a spell of measles. The family has the sympathy of the entire community (Villa Ridge).

             (James A. Broyhill married Catharine E. Nichum on 27 Nov 1872, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)



             Mr. James Browner, one of the oldest and best known citizens of our county, departed this life at his home near Meridian, at eight o’clock on Friday evening last.

             “Uncle Jim” as he was familiarly called, had reached the ripe age of 78 years, and had lived for more than fifty years in Mound City and on the little farm where he died. He was a man of splendid habits and sterling integrity. For many years he was proprietor of two large family grocery and general stores in Mound City, and one account of his big kind heart, resulting in the extension of too much credit to the unfortunate who would not pay, he became involved (insolvent?) and lost everything but the old home in town and the little farm. But he paid every dollar he owed, and saved his name and his honor.

             Above the average in intelligence, he was an interesting personage, and it was always a treat to hear him tell of the ups and down of the old days of the Navy Yard, the war, and Reconstruction. He kept up with the times, and read the daily papers up to the time of his last sickness. He was always found on the right side of important things in life, being a consistent Christian from his youth until his death.

             He leaves a widow and a large family of children and grandchildren, who, with his numberless friends in the county, deeply deplore his passing. Interment at the Catholic cemetery at Mounds. The funeral was largely attended, and was conducted by Father Mumbour, of the St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church, of Mound City, of which the deceased was a member.



             Clarence Cape, aged about 15, was instantly killed Tuesday evening at Karnak by a C. & E. I. train on the Joppa branch. The train, a freight, carries a coach or two for passengers and Clarence, with other boys about the same age, was jumping on and off the train in sport, when in some way he slipped and fell directly under the wheels. His body was crushed and mangled and death was instantaneous.

             Clarence was the son of Mr. Lewis Cape, who is employed in the railroad work there, and was considered an unusually bright and clever boy, being a great favorite with his playmates and acquaintances.

             (The father may be the same person as Lewis Cape, who married Anna May Utley on 30 May 1895, in Jackson Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)


Mrs. M. E. Stout, widow of Henry Stout, deceased, died at 12:30 p.m. March 3rd at her home in Mounds, after an illness of three months, aged 68 years. She is survived by seven children, five sons and two daughters:  Henry, Louis and Robert, of Cairo, Claude and Thomas, of Mounds, Mrs. G. Meyers, of Villa Ridge, and Mrs. S. Harman, of St. Louis. Funeral services were held at St. Raphael’s Church Saturday afternoon, conducted by Rev. Fr. Mumbour. Interment at Catholic cemetery.

             (August Meyer married Mamie Stout on 10 Dec 1890, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)


Mr. and Mrs. George Roberson, of Gale, Miss Ida Browner, of East St. Louis, and Mr. and Mrs. Arch Mathis, of Tamaroa, returned to their homes Monday after attending the funeral of the late James Browner.



Friday, 18 Mar 1910:

By the death of D. O’Leary, that occurred at his home south of town about 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 15th, the community (Villa Ridge) has lost a genial neighbor and friend. Mr. O’Leary was somewhat past middle age and had spent his life on the farm, was a standard farmer, well known and highly respected by a large circle of acquaintances. He leaves a widow and a sister, Mrs. John Hurst, of Cairo, to mourn his loss.


Mr. and Mrs. Gordon Conant were called to Villa Ridge Sunday on account of the death of Gordon’s grandmother, who was quite old. (Grand Chain)

             (The grandmother was Mrs. Emily P. Squier.—Darrel Dexter)


P. M. Dillow and wife visited his parents at Dongola and also attended the funeral of his uncle at that place. (New Hope)

             (Henry Dennis Dillow died 11 Mar 1910.—Darrel Dexter)


Died, March 10th, 1910, Mrs. Sarah A. Saint, wife of Mr. John Saint, of paralysis.  The funeral was conducted in the Congregational church Saturday afternoon and interment at Beech Grove Cemetery.

The husband and three children, Mrs. George Childers of Grand Chain, and John and Miss Cleo, of this city, surviving members of the family.

             The last Sunday of life given to Mrs. Saint was spent in church and in the service of the Lord, of whom she was a faithful follower. The community has lost a good and true woman, and the family a gentle loving wife and mother.

             (John A. Saint married Sarah C. Lawrence on 19 Oct 1876, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)


Death of Mrs. Emily P. Squier.

March 11, 1910.

             Passed to the life beyond, after a short illness of pneumonia, Mrs. Emily P. Squier, aged 88 years, 2 months and 6 days. Funeral services conducted by Rev. Monroe. She was born Jan. 5, 1822, at Henrietta, now a part of Rochester, N.Y. She was married in December 1845 to George C. Squier, in Barre, Orleans County, N.Y. They moved to Virginia in 1846. She was left a widow with three children in 1861. Her home was on the Colombia Pike that led to Bull Run. It joined the R. E. Lee home place, now a U. S. cemetery. Her place was a camping ground during the war. At different times her house was used for a hospital, officers’ headquarters, and also for a refuge for friends outside the Union lines. Within sight of her home were 14 forts—only Fort Meyer remaining. She was a member of the Spiritualist Society in Washington, D.C. from 1866 until her removal west. In early life she attended the Christian Church. Since her residence at Villa Ridge, she has been a member of the Ladies Aid and attended the Congregational church.

             She has lived a busy life, retaining to the end her interest in the world and in all that meant progress and growth toward a better life and living. She leaves a brother, S. C. Perkins, living in Clarendon, N.Y.; a twin sister, Mrs. Emma Bartlett, now with a niece in Beaumont, Texas; two grandchildren, Herbert and Alice Wood, in Washington, D.C.; a daughter, Mrs. J. H. Conant, eight grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren, here. Interred in the Villa Ridge cemetery March 13, 1910. Song service by the Leidigh family. The pall bearers were: L. E. Endicott, C. W. Endicott, W. H. Leidigh, and H. E. Prindle.

             (Her marker in Cairo City Cemetery at Villa Ridge reads:  Emily Perkins Squier 1882-1910.—Darrel Dexter)



Friday, 25 Mar 1910:

Mrs. S. A. Johnson, whose death occurred on Wednesday last and funeral held at Shiloh Church on Friday, was a most beloved and motherly woman, noted for her many acts of charity. Her large family of grown children and grandchildren have the sympathy of a host of friends in their bereavement. (Villa Ridge)


Mr. and Mrs. J. A. Wilkinson and Mr. and Mrs. M. M. Wilkinson, were called to Johnson County the latter part of the week by the death of the wife of an older brother of the gentlemen. (Villa Ridge)


Black Hand Kills Another.

             Marion—For the third time this winter, the black hand of Williamson County has broken loose and committed murder. Antonia Arcado, an Italian, was found in a cistern at the mining camp of the Big Muddy Coal and Mining Company at Bush, northwest of Marion. There were no marks of violence to indicate a struggle, and there was no clue to incriminate anyone.


Alderman Crushed to Death.

             Marion—Alderman Allen C. Boles was crushed to death by a falling stone in Peabody No. 3 mine near Marion. The rock measured 7 feet in length, 5 feet in width and 6 inches thick.


Horse Fatally Tramples Farmer.

             Harrisburg—Daniel Henn, a well-to-do farmer, was probably fatally trampled and kicked by a horse at Galatia. The horse became frightened at an express wagon. Mr. Henn was thrown under the horses’ feet.


Farmer Falls, Shooting Self.

             Vienna.—Brownlow Sturdevant, a farmer residing near Vienna, fell and discharged a 22-caliber rifle which he carried in his hand, the ball passing through his intestines. His brother met death in a like manner about two years ago while cleaning a pistol.


Annie L. Dry, who died March 3rd, held a certificate in the Court of Honor for $1,000. The complete claim proofs were forward to the Society on March 12th. A warrant for $1,000 was received from the Society by Recorder August Faurnie on March 18th in full payment of claim.


KENNEDY—Entered into rest on Saturday, March 18th, 1910, at 12:48 a.m. Mrs. Miriam C. Kennedy, at her residence, No. 3433 A Vista Avenue, St. Louis, Mo.

             Funeral took place from the Centenary Methodist Church, Sixteen and Pine streets on Sunday, March 20, at 3:30 p.m. Interment at Brownstown, Ill.

             Mrs. Kennedy was the widow of Thomas M. Kennedy, a native of Villa Ridge, who was a brother of Mrs. Julia Schuler, of this city, Mrs. Mary Anglin, of Valley Recluse, Mrs. R. W. Turney, of Brownstown, Mrs. Willis Edwards and David N. Kennedy, of Quincy. Mrs. Kennedy leaves four daughters of mourn her departure, Mrs. Gertrude Blakemore, Misses Nellie, Lillian and Mabel Kennedy, all who reside in St. Louis. The later is a deaconess in the Centenary Methodist Church in that city and was for a month the guest of friends and relatives in Olmsted and Mound City last summer.

             Mrs. Kennedy was a devout Christian and was loved by all who knew her for her gentleness of manner, her goodness of heart and her sterling qualities of character. She and her daughters are noted for their many acts of loving kindness and tender services in their home city.

             (Thomas M. Kennedy married Miriam C. Stevenson on 14 Mar 1869, in Fayette Co., Ill.  George Schuler married Julia Kennedy on 24 May 1866, in Pulaski Co., Ill.  S. R. Turney married Nancy E. Kennedy on 11 Feb 1863, in Pulaski Co., Ill.  H. F. Blakemore married Gertrude Kennedy on 11 Aug 1892, in Fayette Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)


Card of Thanks.

             We desire to thank our friends and neighbors for their kindness toward us during the sickness and death or our baby, Margaret R.


Mr. and Mrs. G. Kotter



Friday, 1 Apr 1910:

Mrs. Annie M. Dry Died March 3rd.

             The death of Mrs. Annie L. Dry at Moorehouse, Mo., on March 3rd, was a peculiarly sad blow to her friends. She was ill but a short time with pneumonia, having been away from this county just three weeks to a day when she was brought back.

             The funeral services were conducted by Bro. Otho Metcalf.  Interment in the Ohio Chapel Cemetery.

Mrs. Dry was a devoted wife and loving mother, and was well loved by all her associates who knew her well. She was just beginning the prime of life, being but 31 years of age.

             Her husband, three children, four brothers, and one sister, all have the deep heart sympathy of the community in which they reside.

             (John Dry married Annie Shanks on 8 Mar 1894, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)


Ida Moore Snell was born Dec. 31, 1866, died at her home in Lewiston, Idaho, March 20, 1910, aged 43 years, 2 months and 19 days.

             She became a Christian at the age of 19 years and was a member of the Congregational Church from that time until her death. She was married to Rev. B. F. Sewell, Sept. 25, 1888. She leaves to mourn her loss her husband, seven children, five boys and two girls, and a number of relatives and friends. (Pulaski)

             (Benjamin T. Seawell married Ida S. Moore on 26 Sep 1888, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)


We desire to express our heartfelt thanks to the many friends and neighbors in their kindness during the sickness and death of our beloved son Amos. We also wish to thank his teachers, Misses Heilig and Mozley, and schoolmates for their floral offering.

Mr. and Mrs. Henry Corzine.


Youth Kills Farmer.

             Chester.—Joe Simpson, Jr., 18 years old, residing near Missouri Junction, twelve miles north of Chester, shot and killed Harvey Roots, 25 years old, in a dispute over wages Tuesday. Simpson worked for Roots on a farm.



Friday, 8 Apr 1910:

Mine Explosion Injures Inspector.

             Marion—A gas explosion occurred at the Colp mines, seven miles east of Marion Tuesday. The mine inspector, George Boston, had finished his work and started out when the explosion occurred. A number of men were on top and heard the report. Some rushed to the bottom where Boston was found seriously burned. He may die.


Insane Die of Pneumonia.

             Anna—A recent epidemic has become alarming among the insane patients of the Illinois Southern Hospital located here. Some twenty or more patients have recently died from pneumonia, which is believed to have been the result of the sewer pipes becoming filled up and the contaminating water used for drinking purposes.


Mrs. H. E. Nelms happened to have a very serious accident Tuesday evening which may prove fatal. She was coming to town to meet her little ones coming home from school, and while crossing the track at Anderson crossing, one mile from town, was struck by a train and hurled about 25 feet. It was raining very hard and she didn’t see the train approaching and the engineer didn’t give any warning. Dr. L. F. Robinson took her to the Cairo hospital Tuesday night.


Mrs. Caroline Palmer (colored) died at her home on Saturday, April 2, 1910, aged 54 years and 6 months. The deceased suffered for the past four years with dropsy. She leaves seven daughters and three sons to mourn her loss.


Respected Negro Veteran Dead.

             Jackson Clark, an aged negro, died Saturday at his home in this city. Jackson was a good citizen, and respected by all who knew him. He was a veteran of the Civil War and his remains were laid to rest Monday in the national cemetery here, in an honored grave.

             (Jackson Clark, Pvt. U. S. Army, died 2 Apr 1910 was buried in Section E, 3990A at Mound City National Cemetery.—Darrel Dexter)


Mr. Owen O. Axley went through on No. 2 Monday, to St. Paul, Minn., with other friends, accompanying the body of Mr. Mansfield—one of the officers of the Lumber Company who died at Warren, Ark., and was taken home for burial.



Friday, 15 Apr 1910:

Mrs. M. M. Wilkinson was called to Sparta last week by the illness of a child of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Benton. (Villa Ridge).


Woman Dies Talking to Family.

             Harrisburg.—Mrs. Joseph Matthews died suddenly of paralysis of the heart here Monday. She was apparently in the best of health, and was conversing with members of the family in regard to an intended visit to her old home in Wellston, Ohio. Her body was taken to that place for burial.


Hired Man Kills Farmer.

             Carmi—Coming to blows over a quarrel that arose because of alleged cruelty to a team, George Wheeler, Tuesday shot and instantly killed Herman Parker, for whom he was working.


Ora Mosley is in jail here charged with attempt to murder. Mosley is a fireman on the C. & E. I. and his victim, Andrew Reed, is an engineer. It is said they were on duty when the altercation occurred and Mosley used his fireman’s pick as a weapon. Reed is in a hospital at Danville and may die of his injuries.



Friday, 22 Apr 1910:

Died, at her home, Monday, 18th, at 11:45, Beulah M. Bagby, aged 8 years, 7 months and 8 days, of scarlet fever, after an illness of 5 days. Interment at Concord Cemetery Tuesday at 10 a.m. Rev. Bush officiated. (Ullin)



Friday, 29 Apr 1910:

Mrs. A. W. Brown while attending the Association at Mounds, Wednesday, of last week, received a wire there advising of the death of Mr. Brown’s aged mother at Silver Lake, Ind., and immediately departed for that city to attend the funeral. (Ullin)



Friday, 13 May 1910:

The child of Chris Bundschuh is very low at this writing with diphtheria. C. S. Bundschuh arrived here (Pulaski) to be with his little son who is seriously ill.


Little Vernon Bagby, aged 6 years, died of scarlet fever, May 10, 1910. This being the second child they have lost in the last twenty days with this dreadful disease. The bereaved parents have our sincerest sympathy.


Mrs. C. S. Bundschuh has returned from Arkansas, where she had been visiting her mother. She was en route to her home in Chicago, but is detained by reason of the illness of her little son, Ralph. (Curry)


Eugene Gatton Killed in Mounds Yard.

             About 5 o’clock this morning (Thursday) M. E. Gatton while working in the yards at Mounds, was run over by a car and instantly killed. No one saw the occurrence, but it is supposed that he was repairing an air valve on one end of the car, and a cut of cars came against the other end.

             Mr. Gatton leaves a wife and four children. He was a valued employee of the company, having been in the service some 10 or 15 years.  He was a member of the I. O. O. F. and Modern Woodmen lodges, having $2,000 insurance in the latter. Funeral arrangements have not been completed.


Death of Mr. Scot Ellis.

             Mr. P. W. Thompson, of Ullin, who was here Monday attending the K. P. convention, was called away by the sad news that the body of his nephew, Mr. Scot Ellis, was being brought to Tamaroa for burial.

             Mrs. Ellis is a sister of Mrs. P. W. Thompson, and Scot was almost like a son to our old friend.

             Mr. Ellis enlisted in the regular army about five years ago, with Arthur Bird and Elmer Propst, of Wetaug. Mr. Bird and Mr. Propst came home at the end of their three years’ term, but Mr. Ellis re-enlisted and had traveled all over the world.  The news of his death came as a shock to Mr. and Mrs. Thompson and the Enterprise joins all their friends in extending sincere sympathy.



Friday, 20 May 1910:

F. M. Thornton was called to Olive Branch Tuesday on account of the illness of his brother. (Ullin)


J. G. Hemenway was called to DuQuoin Monday on the account of serious illness of his father. (Ullin)


Mrs. Emma F. Meeks, wife of Pleas J. Meeks, was born in McNary County, Tenn., Jan. 21st, 1870, and departed this life May 15th, 1910, at her home near Pulaski, aged 31 years, 3 months, and 14 days. She is survived by her husband, five children, two brothers, two sisters and a host of relatives and friends. She had been a member of the Home Department of Edith Chapel A. M. E. S. S. for nine years. She was laid to rest last Monday at Villa Ridge.


A little more than a year ago we were called to bear the loss of our little son, Gussie, who was accidentally killed on March 30th, 1910, near Thebes, Ill. Again has the hand of affliction been laid upon us. On May the 11th, at the home of his uncle, John Bundschuh, in Pulaski, our darling little Ralph passed into the beautiful beyond. He was 8 years, 4 months and 3 days old, and was sick nearly a week with that dangerous malady diphtheria. All that human aid could do was done to relieve his sufferings, but God chose otherwise and called little Ralph home to be with Gussie and Mamma in the land of glory.

             At such times our hearts seem to stop beating almost, the grief is so hard; to think he was taken away so quickly—it is almost more than we can bear. Only the promise that “we shall meet again” is our comfort. God has reclaimed his jewels. They, our children, were not given to us to keep while we weep with aching hearts—they are rejoicing in heaven, singing songs of praise in the eternal home.

             The funeral services were conducted in front of the residence of John W. Bundschuh by Rev. Batton on Wednesday at 1 p.m., after which the little white casket was taken to Concord Cemetery and placed beside his little brother, Gussie.

             Ralph is gone, but his sweet spirit and the memory of his gentle ways and pure actions are with us. God has taken two of our darlings and left us two, George and Louise. May we have strength to bear the burden laid upon us. They are safely housed in the eternal home.

Gone where every eye is tearless.

             Gone where pain can never mar.

Gone into the Golden City.

             Gone within the gates ajar.

Mr. and Mrs. C. S. Bundschuh

             (C. S. Bundschuh married Mary E. Hanna on 21 Aug 1898, in Pope Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)


Card of Thanks.

             To the friends and relatives who so kindly ministered and tendered help to us in the sickness and death of our dear little son and nephew, Ralph, we extend our heartfelt thanks.

Mr. and Mrs. C. S. Bundschuh

Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Bundschuh


Slayer Gets 40 Year Term.

             Marion.—Pete Gossell was sentenced to 40 years in the penitentiary for killing John Boal in a restaurant in Herrin last February. The evidence showed that the shooting was without provocation.


To Be Reminded Yearly of Crime.

             Cairo—Mitchell Calhoun, a negro, was sentenced to the penitentiary for the murder of Mat Lane, negro. Calhoun is to be in solitary confinement on bread and water on May 7 each year for 24 hours.



Friday, 27 May 1910:

Card of Thanks.

             We wish to extend our most sincere thanks to our many dear friends for their kindness and help in the sickness and death of our dear children, Beulah and Vurna, and may God ever bless them is our prayer.

Mr. and Mrs. D. S. Bagby



Friday, 3 Jun 1910:

Stroke Proves Fatal.

             Mrs. Crecelius, widow of the late Dr. G. W. Crecelius, was stricken on Tuesday at 3:30 p.m. and rendered unconscious and remained in that condition until Thursday morning, when she peacefully and quietly passed away without a struggle. Funeral was held on Friday afternoon in the Congregational church conducted by Rev. Lankston of the United Brethren Church. Burial was made in the Olmsted Cemetery.


I. A. Crecelius and wife offer their sincere thanks to their friends and neighbors for their kindness and assistance in the death and burial of their mother and are willing to return any favor needed in the future.

Mr. and Mrs. I. A. Crecelius.


A Letter.

             The following letter has been received from Capt. R. L. Ball by Mrs. Elvina Rhine, of Tamaroa, Ill, mother of Mr. Scot E. Ellis, whose death was reported in the Enterprise May 13th.

             Mrs. Rhine is a sister of Mrs. P. W. Thompson and the nephew Scot was loved almost as a son by Mr. and Mrs. P. W. Thompson.

             The letter which follows, shows that Scot was loved by all his associates at the Fort.

Ft. Des Moines, Iowa.

May 11, 1910

Mrs. Elvira Rhine,

Tamaroa, Ills.

             My Dear Madam: Your son, Sergeant Scot E. Ellis of troop C 6th U.S. Cavalry, having died here on May 9th, 1910, I wish to let you know what was done by his fellow soldiers irrespective of their official duties.

             Sergeant Ellis was known and liked throughout the entire regiment and his death came as a decided shock to many.

             I personally have only known him since Jan. 15, 1910, when I took command of this troop. But in that time learned to admire his sterling qualities as a soldier and excellent characters and a non commissioned officer upon whom I could depend.

             His entire troop and the Regiment Band formed the funeral from here to Des Moines where a guard of one Sergeant and three troops were left until the body was placed on the train.

             Flowers were purchased by the troops and officers and all possible was done to show respect and sorrow through his loss.

             I wish to close by offering you and yours our sympathy and the thought that your son, Srgt. Scott E. Ellis, Troop C 6th U. S. Cavalry, was a soldier and a man known to be trustworthy and loyal to his flag and fellows and loved by all his companions.

I am very respectfully yours.

L. R. Ball,

Capt. 6th U. S. Cavalry, commanding Troop C


John Powers of Villa Ridge Dies Following Operation for Appendicitis.

             John Powers, of Villa Ridge, died at St. Mary’s Infirmary, in Cairo, Wednesday morning, at 3:30 o’clock after a week’s illness. He was taken with appendicitis last Wednesday and was taken to the infirmary there Saturday where he underwent an operation that evening. Mr. Powers was a prominent citizen of Villa Ridge and is well known in this part of the country. He leaves surviving him, his wife, three sisters Mrs. John Furry, and Miss Mayme Powers, of New York City, Mrs. William English and two brothers, Pat Powers of Mounds. His wife who is a sister of Mrs. Sol Silver, formerly of this city, was at his bedside, having accompanied him to Cairo Saturday.

             (William A. English married Hannah Powers on 2 Sep 1891, in Alexander Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)



Friday, 10 Jun 1910:

Sarah Augusta Limbert.

             Mrs. Limbert, mother of Mrs. R. E. Spaulding, of Villa Ridge, was born in New York State in 1826, being nearly 84 years of age at the time of death on June 2nd.

             She was married in 1845 to John Limbert. Lived in Wisconsin, in Cobden, in Cairo, and twenty years ago removed to Villa Ridge. While living in Cairo in the 70s, during the yellow fever epidemics, she several times risked her life in caring for these afflicted with the dread disease.

             Mrs. Limbert was raised by Universalist parents and very early in life became a believer in Spiritualism. With a firm faith in God’s goodness, and that He would at last give her back her loved ones, she lived her life cheerfully, taking comfort in being the home keeper, loving wife, tender mother, and staunchest of friends, never permitting without gentle protest, the slightest criticism of a friend.


John Powers.

             Hundreds of loving friends and neighbors gathered at the home place in Villa Ridge Friday afternoon to pay a last tribute of honor and respect to all that was mortal of John Powers. The K. of P. Lodge, of which he was a member, attended in a body, with many from Mound City, Mounds, and Cairo. The services at the home were conducted by Rev. J. H. Runnals, of Mounds, after which the funeral cortege formed and marched to the beautiful cemetery on the hill. At the grave the exercises were in charge of the Knights and the simple ceremony of fraternal brotherhood was deeply affecting.  The floral tributes were many and very beautiful.

             We feel that we have lost a friend. That Villa Ridge and our county has lost a man of sterling upright character, whose daily life was full of words and acts of kindness—whose thought was for the betterment of others. In the great Beyond—across the river Styx there certainly must be a place of honor and love, and joyous peace for a soul like John Powers.

             (His marker in Cairo City Cemetery at Villa Ridge reads:  John Powers Born Aug. 4, 1865 Died June 1, 1910.—Darrel Dexter)


Mrs. Ben Truster was called to Charleston, Mo., on account of the serious illness of her daughter. (Pulaski)



Friday, 17 Jun 1910:

Fifty-Six Honored Veterans Sleep in Cemetery at Grand Chain.

             Through the kindness of friends at Grand Chain we are enabled to publish below a complete list of soldiers who are buried in the cemetery at Grand Chain, which we believe will be of interest to all our readers.

             We have not seen the cemetery at Grand Chain, but we take it for granted that it is nicely cared for, something as the National Cemetery at Mound City.

             The following twenty-two names are of comrades of Hon. A. F. Youngblood, enlisting to the same company, Company K, of the 109th Illinois Volunteer Infantry, all afterwards being transferred to what was known as Capt. Bourn’s Company, Company F, of the 11th Illinois.

             Capt. R. B. Bartleson, Lieut. Andrew Calvin, Pvt. August Calvin, Pvt. William Lype, Pvt. George Lipe, Pvt. Robert Lype, Corp.Elias H. Ellenwood, Corp. George W. Ellenwood, Corp. Absalum Taylor, Corp. George Stephenson, Corp. Thomas Stephenson, Corp. Richard A. Davis, Corp. William Moore, Corp. Henry Jones, Corp. George Severs, Corp. William S. Hall, Corp. James H. McGee, Corp. John Tucker, Corp. Andrew Tucker, Corp. William Gorden, Corp. James W. Smith, Corp. William Merit.

The following are names of other comrades of the regiments named:

Moses Youngblood, 31st, Jackson Yocum, 31st, John Weaver, 31st, William Bartelson, 18th, Alonzo Bartleson, 18th, Edwin Bartelson, 81st, William O. Smith, 81st, N. P. Tarr, 81st, Dan Reed, 31st, David Walker, 31st, Will Smith, 18th, George Moore, 78th, William McGinnis, Cavalry, Chauncey Crippen, Cavalry, James Crippen, Cavalry, John McGee, Cavalry, Lem Short, Cavalry, Stanton Field, Cavalry, Levi H. Mangold, Cavalry, Jacob Shafer, Cavalry, Thomas Roach, Navy, George Lang, 31st, Bud Brown, 31st, David Walker, 31st, Samuel Litherland, 31st, Conrad Altenberger, 31st, William Cain 31st, John Cain 31st, Mr. Market, 31st, John Ellenwood, 31st, Martin Gaunt, Mexican War, Jessey Eaves, Mexican War, John Jarvis, Tennessee, Archie J. Ranney killed in the Boxer uprising in China.

             When the editor was at Grand Chain and Tick Ridge on May 30th there was some expressed a desire that Grand Chain might have an observance of May 30th similar to that held at Tick Ridge, and possibly it might be arranged so that both communities might unite in the proper celebration of the day.



Friday, 24 Jun 1910:

Card of Thanks.

             We wish to express our sincere thanks and appreciation to our friends and relatives for their kindness and sympathy show us during the sickness and death of our dear mother.

Jesse Neadstine

Harry Neadstine

George Neadstine.


Little Johnnie Parks, the son of Mr. and Mrs. G. W. Parks, died June 16th, 1910 with dropsy of the heart, which followed that dreadful disease scarlet fever. Little Johnnie was 4 years, 10 months, and 18 days. This little one was loved by all who knew him, he was a bright little fellow all thorough his life. His father and mother have the sympathy of all who know them. (Ullin)


Death of Mrs. Neadstine.

             In the death of Mrs. Louise B. Neadstine, the city has lost a long time citizen. Deceased was born in this city November 13th, 1859, and on October 21st, 1877, was married to William Neadstine in the Episcopal church here. To this union five children were born, the eldest, a boy, passing away in infancy, and Willie, who grew to manhood, died about seven years ago. The husband and father died three years ago, June 18, and his wife’s grief for him has been lamentable for she was suffering with cancer at the time of demise. She underwent operations at her home and finally went to Cairo where she was confined to the hospital for several months all to no avail, for her condition grew worse continually and she has been confined to her room the past few months suffering intensely until 5:45 o’clock Saturday morning when death came to her relief. She is survived by daughter, Miss Jessie, and two sons, Harry and George, all of whom were at her bedside. The funeral was held at the residence at 3:00 o’clock Sunday afternoon, conducted by Rev. Shifely, pastor of the St. Peter’s Episcopal Church, of which the deceased had long been a member. Interment was made at Beech Grove Cemetery, the funeral party being conveyed to the cemetery in special cars.—correspondent in Bulletin.

             (William Neadstine married Louisa Vogle on 21 Oct 1877, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)



Friday, 1 Jul 1910:

Card of Thanks.

             To our many friends and neighbors for their much appreciated kindness and assistance shown during our great period of our grief and sorrow we extend our many thanks.

Amanda Atherton

Oscar Atherton

Marion Atherton

Elery Atherton

Annie Atherton


Charley Walters, a colored man living east of H. A. Bird’s house, was destroyed by fire at about 3 o’clock Tuesday and the two small children were burned up in the house with all the contents. The folks were all away at the time of the fire. (Pulaski)


The remains of little Raymond Moore were brought through our community (Ohio) last Friday. He was just 1 and died of the whooping cough. It was a shock to all the relatives. The family have the entire sympathy of our vicinity.


Died at his home four miles east of here (Grand Chain) June 17, 1910, James Henry ___ aged 42 years and 6 months, ___ of the lungs. He leaves a ___, adopted son, two brothers and a number of friends to mourn his untimely death. He was very ____ a week and his death was a ____. He was a loving father, ___ husband and liked by all who knew him. The remaining ones have our sympathy.



Joseph Goodloe, a resident of the National Home of Disabled Veteran Soldiers at Danville, Ills., for the past six years, passed away from this life on Monday, June 27th, 1910, at 3 a.m. Interment Tuesday afternoon at the National Home Cemetery, where it was his wishes to be laid beside his comrades.

Mr. Goodloe was born at Mount Auburn, Cincinnati, Ohio, Oct. 14, 1832, and at the time of his death was 77 years old. He served all through the Civil War, and for five years previous he served on the frontier fighting the Indians. He was converted to the Christian religion a number of years ago. He lived the true Christian life and died the same.

Mr. Goodloe was an uncle of Mrs. W. W. Hough of this city.

(There is a marker at Danville National Cemetery for James R. Goodloe, Artillery, Died 27 Jun 1910.  This may be the same person as Isaac Goodloe, 27, of Mound City, Pulaski Co., Ill., born in Ohio, who enlisted in Co. E, 2nd U. S. Artillery, mustered in 13 Aug 1861, at Cairo, Ill.  This could be J. A. J. Goodloe, who married Jennie Cook on 2 Sep 1862, in Pulaski Co., Ill.  There was also a James Goodloe who married Emma Muse on 16 Apr 1889, in Jackson Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)


Mrs. Sallie Norris, an aged colored woman, was found dead in her bed at her home on upper Commercial Avenue Monday morning. Her funeral was held Tuesday, interment at Mounds. Robert Stubblefield (also colored) died Sunday at his home on Diamond Street. His remains were shipped to Pulaski Tuesday for burial.



Friday, 8 Jul 1910:

Mother Dies Beside Sleeping Child.

Charleston—Mrs. Becky Myers was found dead in bed by her little 11-year-old daughter. The mother had expired while the child slept. Heart trouble was given as the cause.


The infant child of Charles Daniels was buried at Mounds Tuesday. (Pulaski)


Wesley G. Davis Killed at Mounds.

             Wesley G. Davis in charge of official duty as deputy sheriff was shot and killed at Mounds Monday evening about 7:30 o’clock.

             The testimony at the inquest held by Coroner Steele seems to be about as follows:

             Thelbert and Jake DeBow, and Ed Linear, all young colored men, probably drinking more or less, were driving up and down the streets in boisterous conduct. Mr. Davis was called upon to refrain them. In company with W. O. Gibson, another deputy sheriff, he came upon the trio in their buggy in the north part of town, almost opposite the first railroad crossing, which was blocked by a train at the time. Mr. Davis caught the bridle of the horse apparently in a friendly warning way. Linear got out of the buggy and walked some distance away. Some words passed between Deputy Davis and the two DeBow boys. One or two shots were fired. Then a number of shots in quick succession. Deputy Davis fell and died an hour later. One of the DeBow boys was seriously wounded and is now at D. Winston’s west of Mounds, under care of a physician and guard. Linear is in jail here. The other of the DeBow boys has disappeared. It is impossible to tell, from the testimony at the inquest, just who fired the shot that ended Mr. Davis’ life and jury accordingly returned a verdict holding all three of the young men for the grand jury.


Johnson County Man Accused of Murder

             A dispatch from Marion says that N. T. Blevins, of Johnson County, is in jail at Vienna, charged with murder and robbery committed June 11th. His son, William Blevins, is also being held. The body of James Depalma is being sought. Depalma was supposed to have cashed a deposit slip for $800.00 recently.



Friday, 15 Jul 1910:

Death of Mrs. Maggie Gaunt.

             Mrs. Margaret Gaunt, wife of Mr. W. A. Gaunt, better known by her friends as “Maggie” Gaunt, died at her home in Grand Chain last Tuesday forenoon, about 9:30 o’clock, of a complication of diseases probably apoplexy and paralysis. She had been in ill health about a year. But this latter attack lasted only two weeks or so.

             Funeral services were conducted at the residence Wednesday morning by Mr. T. C. Gaunt. Interment in Grand Chain cemetery.

             Mrs. Gaunt (nee Fellenstein) was married to Mr. W. A. Gaunt on August 3rd, 1879, by Mr. Hugh McGee, nearly 31 years ago. Her birthday was August 2nd, and had she lived until next months she would have been 54 years of age. She leaves surviving her, the husband, Minnie and Herman, daughter and son, Jacob and John Fellenstein, brothers, all of whom have the sympathy of the entire community in their great loss and sorrow.

             (William A. Gaunt married Margaret Fallenstine on 3 Aug 1879, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)


Died, at her home in Grand Chain, on July 12, 1910, Mrs. Maggie Gaunt, wife of W. A. Gaunt. Funeral was conducted at the family residence on July 13th. The community extends sympathy to all the bereaved ones.



Friday, 22 Jul 1910:

Sam Walters is very low at this writing. Mr. Walters is one of our (Pulaski’s) worthy farmers and owns a nice little farm north of Pulaski.


Sentenced for Killing His Brother.

             Marion—Gordon Johnson was found guilty of killing his brother, Charles Johnson, by a jury and was sentenced to serve 15 years in the penitentiary.


William C. Price.

             William Campbell Price, who passed away Saturday morning, July 16th, at 9:45 o’clock, was born in this city May 22nd, 1883, and at the time of his death was 27 years, 1 month and 14 days of age.  He was the only son and youngest child of Mr. and Mrs. W. C. Price, of Third Street. He was a member of the Brotherhood of Railway Trainmen, at one time being a fireman on the I. C. R. R. Willie, as he was usually known to all his acquaintances, for to them although in his manhood years, he had never grown above that familiar name, was a goodhearted boy, and was seldom in any other than a jovial mood. He had attended the public school here to within a few years of the finish, and spent a couple of years with his sister in the east. His sudden death was a dreadful blow to his family, who were always solicitous of his welfare when away from home. The evening before his death, when he left home, suitcase in hand, ostensibly to accept a position as engineer on a boat that was leaving this city that night, he kissed his mother and after almost reaching the gate turned back and said, “Well, mother, I am going to kiss you again,” whereupon he did so and this action on his part would indicate that he had a premonition of death. The following morning his mangled body was found on the I. C. tracks at North Cairo, where he had fallen from a freight train on which he had been riding. No one has been able to learn where he was going, but to the parents and sister, who today are filled with grief over his death, we would say that God knew best and that he was there. These mysteries must be left in His care. Deceased had for the past year and a half been living with his parents who survive him together with his sister, Mrs. H. F. Ardery, of Guthrie, Okla. His father was in Arkansas at the time of his death and arrived home Sunday afternoon and his sister came that evening. The mother was the one to whom the first news came. Funeral services were held at the residence at 10 o’clock Tuesday morning, Rev. J. M. Whitely pastor of St. Peter’s Episcopal Church, of which the deceased was a member, officiating. Special cars bore the sorrowing friends and relatives to Beech Grove Cemetery where the remains were laid to rest.—Correspondent to Cairo Bulletin.



Friday, Aug 1910:

Quite a number from here (Pulaski) attended the Graves funeral at Beech Grove Cemetery Tuesday.


First White Child Born in Pulaski County.

             Charles Atherton, father of W. N. Atherton, of Pulaski, died at his home 2 miles northeast of here Thursday evening, July 21, at about 4 o’clock, aged 91 years, and 4 months. He was the first white child born in Pulaski County, his parents having moved here from Kentucky about 1815 and settled on what is now the D. W. Prindle, Jr., place. His father was one of the organizers of Shiloh Baptist Church, which was organized in 1817, being the oldest church in the state. He had spent most of his life in this county and was always found to be a loyal citizen and a good neighbor. He leaves a son, W. N., of Pulaski, a wife and a host of friends to mourn his loss. The remains were laid to rest in Redden Cemetery Friday evening. The relatives have the sympathy of the entire community in their sad bereavement.—Anna Talk



Friday, 12 Aug 1910:

Mr. and Mrs. George Stubblefield’s little son died Friday and was buried Saturday. (Perks)


Our community was shocked by the untimely death of Samuel H. Graves, which occurred at his home at 9:30 p.m. July 30th, 1910. Mr. Graves was born in Alexander County, Ill., Nov. 22, 1837. He enlisted in the 39th Ill. Vol. regiment and served through the war, and was one of the very few members of the G. A. R. left in our vicinity. On October 22, 1864, he married Mary C. Littlejohn, at America.

             He devoted the greater part of his life to farming at which he was successful. At the time of his death he was president of the Fruit Shippers’ Association. Just recently Mr. Graves sold his home and while overseeing and assisting in the erection of a cozy cottage to be occupied by himself and wife, on Friday, July 23d, he made a misstep and fell, fracturing two ribs that punctured the lung causing pneumonia. During his weeks’ illness every thing possible was done for his comfort by his wife, children and friends.

Six grown children and 26 grandchildren survive to mourn the loss of a devoted father and grandfather, of the children, F. E. and W. O. Graves, Mrs. Joe Bour, Mrs. Edward Sheerer, and Mrs. John Bundschuh, were at his bedside, Mrs. Charles Wakeland, of Fayetteville, N.C., could not be present.

             The funeral on Monday was universally attended by relatives and friends. Services were conducted by Rev. I. A. Parker, assisted by the quartette of Pulaski and choir of the M. E. church of this place. The A. F. & A. M. lodge conducted the services at Beech Grove Cemetery where interment was made.

             (John Wesley Bundschuh married Flora Graves on 20 Oct 1897, in Pulaski Co., Ill.  Charles Richard Wakeland married Nettie Graves on 17 Apr 1895, in Pulaski Co., Ill.  Samuel Graves, 24, of Pulaski Co., Ill.,  was a sergeant in Co. F, 31st Illinois Infantry.  He was a native of Thebes, Alexander Co., Ill., enlisted 22 Aug 1861.—Darrel Dexter)


Mrs. Samuel Graves has removed her household goods from the home lately occupied by herself and husband and will make her home with F. E. Graves. (Villa Ridge)


Sam Waters, colored, one of our best citizens and farmers died at his home 2 miles north of Pulaski and was buried Tuesday at Pulaski Cemetery. He left his business all fixed in good shape.

             (This may be the same person as Samuel Waters who married Annie Tharp on 31 Dec 1885, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)



Friday, 19 Aug 1910:

Mrs. Hanna Meeks received the sad news Monday of the death of an aunt who resided in Muscatine, Iowa. Many will remember Mrs. Rosetta Watson, making an extended visit here about 18 years ago, she was known by everyone as “Aunt Rose.” (Edith Chapel)


The Killing at Ullin.

             Frank Linder, of East Cairo, was shot and killed at Ullin, August 11, about 7 p.m. by C. C. Gentry, Jr., also of East Cairo. At the time Linder was in company with Gentry’s wife, and another couple and two small children of the second woman. The party were out in the woods southeast of Ullin. It appears that Gentry knew his wife was in Ullin, and came there searching for her. He had been out in the county a short distance east of Ullin enquiring for her at the home of one of her relatives. Returning as he passed along the road, he heard voices. Quietly forcing his way through the briars and underbrush, he came upon the unsuspecting party. The children were playing around upon the ground. The men and women were reclining in easy positions, laughing and chatting. Gentry spoke to them, Linder started to arise; Gentry fired and fired again, both bullets taking effect. One in the face and one in the throat. Testimony as to what immediately followed varies considerable, but it seems that Gentry emptied his revolver and attacked Foss, the other man of the party, with the empty revolver as a club. Foss got away as soon as possible, and was seen no more until that evening when he boarded the train at Pulaski, and was arrested by Deputy Sheriff A. B. Sexton. In Mound City, the next day Foss had eight scalp wounds, none serious, dressed by a physician.

             After the trouble was over, Gentry came to Ullin, with the women and children, leaving Linder dead where he had fallen, after the second shot. Gentry gave himself up to Officer Sexton, and is now in the county jail.

             Linder’s body was shipped to Cairo upon telegraphic directions of his friends.

             Both of the women involved in the matter are connected with well known and highly respected families of Ullin.

             (Charles C. Gentry married Ettie Belle Crotzer on 3 Apr 1900, in Alexander Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)


Mrs. Margaret Sanderson.

             Mrs. Margaret Sanderson died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Abbi Holbrook in Mounds, Sunday, Aug.7th, and was laid to rest in the cemetery at New Liberty Church on the following Tuesday afternoon.

             Mrs. Sanderson was an old resident of the county, having lived for many years at Pulaski, before she invested in Mounds property and removed there perhaps some ten years ago.

             Mrs. Sanderson was of beautiful character in every respect. She it was who gave us the cheerful and happy thought in rhyme, over the simple signature “M. S.—Mounds.” These verses invariable conveyed the impression of an implicit faith and trust in goodness of God, and also that the weight of her many, many years of life in this old world might be heavy, yet her heart was young and bright and sunny and joyful, and reaching upward for the better and higher things. We have not a shadow of a doubt that Mrs. Sanderson is now, in spirit, in happy communion with God’s love and in Heaven at Peace. Content.


Death of Mrs. C. E. Dille

             Mrs. Mary Agnes Dille, aged 31 years, wife of Dr. C. E. Dille, the veterinary surgeon, died at St. Mary’s Infirmary at 8:30 Sunday evening of peritonitis, following an operation. She had been in the hospital only a week.

             Besides her husband, Mrs. Dille leaves two small children, one three and a half years old and the other thirteen months old.

             Mrs. Dille was a native of Toronto, Canada. She was married there on June 27, 1905, to Dr. Dille and has lived here since. Dr. Dille had removed to Cairo shortly before from Villa Ridge where he was born and reared.

             Funeral arrangements could not be made until word had been received from Mrs. Dille’s relatives in Toronto.—Headlight



Friday, 26 Aug 1910:

Funeral of Eugene O’Sullivan.

             A large number of friends and relatives gathered at the O’Sullivan residence on the corner of 4th and old Main streets, Sunday afternoon to pay their last tributes of respect. From the residence the funeral cortege moved down to the interurban, two cars taking a part of the number to Mounds, where in the beautiful Catholic cemetery on the hill overlooking the city the remains were laid to rest, with the simple, yet solemn and impressive ceremonies of his church.

Garry Kelley is not expected to live at this writing. He has the old typhoid fever. (Ullin)

Hutchison Held to Await Action of Grand Jury.

Last Friday evening about 7 o’clock at the shipyards in Mound City, Wesley Hutchison stabbed Eugene O’Sullivan with a pocket knife, and the wounded man died a few minutes later. A coroner’s hearing was held Saturday forenoon in the circuit court rooms and the coroner’s jury returned a signed verdict recommending that Hutchison be held for the October grand jury.

Eugene O’Sullivan was a long time citizen of our city, and a member of one of the old and respected families. Wesley Hutchison is said to be a Kentuckian, and has been employed as an engineer at the chair factory. Some months ago he married Miss Irma Simpson, a stepdaughter of Eugene O’Sullivan.
From testimony before the coroner’s jury, it appears that Friday evening after supper Mrs. Hutchison suggested taking a ride in a skiff and she and her husband and Miss Anna Rutledge walked over the shipyards on the river, intending to borrow a boat and go out on the river. Mr. O’Sullivan happened to be there at the time, talking with his fellow workmen, it being the custom of some of the employees to drop around there after supper for a social chat. Thus the two men, O’Sullivan and Hutchison, came in contact with each other without previous thought or intention on the part of either of them. An altercation came up, blows were struck, and O’Sullivan fell to the ground, stabbed in the heart, and expired in a few moments.

Hutchison was taken up town and turned over to an officer, and placed in the county jail, and after the hearing before the coroner, was returned there. He will remain there until called for by the grand jury, unless a writ of habeas corpus is secured.

The defendant’s own testimony before the coroner suggested there had been some small matters of difference as to family relations, resulting in a slight friction between himself and Mr. O’Sullivan. It did not appear that either of the men held any enmity towards each other, the matters of difference being merely casual, such as arise hundreds of times in the average family, and of minor importance.

The circumstances of the tragedy seem to be unusual. Call if Fate or Destiny or Preordination, or what you will, it surely seems that an influence or power of some kind directed the events. The fact that the matters in controversy were so unimportant, apparently, that the two men were thrown together that evening by outside circumstances and wholly without thought or intention on the part of either of them, and the fact that the wound was made in the only possible place it could have resulted so seriously, the knife used being a small cheap affair with a short blunt blade, all these things taken together force us to the belief that the whole circumstances were in some way beyond the ordinary.

Man Killed in Coal Slip.

Percy.—John Shanahan, a machine runner at the No. 6 mine here, was caught by falling coal and received injuries from which he died an hour afterwards. He leaves a wife and three children.

Mrs. William Derr.

Mrs. William Derr died at St. Mary’s Hospital in Cairo, Wednesday evening, after a long illness. Mrs. Derr and sister, Miss Carrie Lawler, started to Detroit some weeks ago to consult a specialist there, but at Chicago, Mrs. Derr became so ill that they were compelled to return home, and she was taken to the hospital, where she underwent a severe surgical operation about ten days ago.

Mrs. Derr was about 37 years of age, daughter of Edward Lawler, one of the old residents of our city. She leaves a husband and three children, Doris, Gilbert and Floyd, two sisters, Mary and Carrie, and two brothers, John and William.

The funeral services will be held at St. Mary’s Catholic Church in this city at 2 o’clock Friday afternoon. Rev. Fr. Benedict of Cairo officiating. Interment at Mounds in the Catholic cemetery.

(William Derr married Emma Lawler on 9 Jun 1890, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)

Friday, 2 Sep 1910:
Died, at her home 5 miles northeast of Villa Ridge, Thursday, Aug. 25th, at 4:30 a.m., Mrs. Mary A. Woodard, aged 52 years, 3 months, and 27 days. She leaves a husband, a son, four daughters, six grandchildren besides a host of friends to mourn her loss. She was a faithful wife, loving mother and a kind neighbor and will be greatly missed by all. The funeral services were held at the home of Rev. Margraves of Mound City. Interment at Beech Grove Cemetery at Mounds.

The 13-year-old son of Jeff Baccus of Hillerman Landing, while out in a boat with his little sister Sunday evening fell overboard and was drowned. The interment was at Salem Cemetery at 3 o’clock Monday.

(Jeff Baccus married Stella Easter on 28 Mar 1898, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)

The following sympathizing friends attended the funeral services of Mr. Evers at Salem Sunday. Theo Ruether and wife, F. A. Bending, William Boyd, Leo Reichert, J. H. Moore, William Stevers, I. A. E. Youngblood, J. M. Jones, and George M. Lamkin. (Grand Chain)

James A. G. Evers.

James A. G. Evers was born in Graves County, Kentucky, December 7th, 1843. In December 1861, he enlisted in the 15th Regiment Illinois Cavalry, having moved to this state with his parents several years previously. He served his country three years and one month, was honorably discharged in January 1865.
He was converted at 14 years of age and lived a devoted Christian in the Methodist church for 52 years. Passed away in great peace Friday morning, August 26th, 1910, aged 66 years, 8 months and 19 days.
Funeral services were conducted by Rev. T. J. Overstreet Sunday 10 a.m. at Salem M. E. Church. Many friends and relatives were at the funeral to pay their last respects to Brother

(The above notice was sent in by a friend of the family.—Ed.)

(James A. L. Evers, 18, enlisted as a private in Company B, 15th Illinois Cavalry on 26 Dec 1861, and was mustered out 9 Jan 1865, at Springfield, Ill.  James A. T. Evers married Annie E. McGee on 11 Sep 1865, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)


WHEREAS; It has pleased our Supreme Grand Master to call our worthy Brother, Samuel H. Graves, from labor here to rest in the celestial lodge on high; therefore, be it

RESOLVED; That in the death of Brother Samuel H. Graves, this lodge and the Fraternity of Free and Accepted Masons at large, have lost one of their most zealous supporters, an ardent Mason, a sage counselor, a true friend. Brother Graves loved Masonry; to him it was more than the forms and ceremonies of the lodge room. The lesson given him when first made a Mason to be “good and true” sank deep into his heart and met a responsive chord in his naturally kind disposition, and his life was ever one worthy of emulation.

RESOLVED; That a page of the records of the lodge be dedicated to the memory of Brother Graves and that these resolutions be engrossed thereon; that a copy be furnished each to the newspapers and also that a copy be furnished the widow and family of our deceased Brother with the assurance of the sympathy of the Brethren of this Lodge and their commendation in this hour of their desolation to our Heavenly Father who will fold the arms of His Love and Protection around those who put their trust in Him.
J. A. Waugh
Hall Whiteaker
E. P. Easterday, Committee
Trinity Lodge No. 562, A. F. & A. M.

Indiana Enoch Arden.

An Indianapolis man, Samuel Stephens, was mourned as dead for four years, then his wife married again. Two years later he came back and had his wife arrested for bigamy.

Friday, 9 Sep 1910:
Eldorado Man Killed by Train.

Eldorado.—William Roberts, 40 years old, was killed three miles south of Eldorado by a Big Four passenger train.

Edgar E. Berry, son of Mr. and Mrs. J. E. Berry, died of typhoid fever in Colorado Friday, Sept. 1st. The remains were brought here (Grand Chain) and laid to rest in the Masonic Cemetery Sept. 6. Rev. T. C. Gaunt conducted the funeral services. Our sympathy is extended to the bereaved family.

___ren Kennedy of Mounds died at the home of his brother, John Kennedy at 2 o’clock a.m. of consumption. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. Bradley Saturday p.m. at Liberty. Interment at Liberty Cemetery. (Villa Ridge)

Clarence Baldwin left home Saturday morning and walked to Anna, getting there about 2 o’clock and he and a ___ of boys went in swimming in the ___ound pond. He being warm and unable to swim got into deep water and was drowned. The body was returned about 5 o’clock Saturday evening. Clarence was 13 years old, was buried at Anna Sunday. (Ullin)

Death of John Moake.

Mr. John Moake, an electrician, while engaged in his regular work Saturday, in Cairo, on top of a pole at 28th and Holbrook, in some way came in contact with two live wires and was instantly shocked to death.

The coroner’s jury which investigated the accident returned a verdict censuring the arrangement of wires on that post. It is used by two companies, the Cairo Railway and Light System and the Home Telephone Co., and the wires of one company are not strung in groups separately from those of the other company, as is the usual custom.

Funeral rites were held at  the home in our city Sunday night by the Rev. Margraves, that the family might take an early morning train for Belknap where the interment was held.

Friday, 16 Sep 1910:
Mr. Robert Herrin died at his camp near Ware, Sept. 2nd, 1910, after 12 days illness caused by an accident. Mr. Herrin was one of the best known men in the county. He was conscious until death and realized his death was drawing near. He was surrounded by his family and friends when the end came. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. Bush and K. P. lodge. The remains were laid to rest in Ullin Cemetery. Quite a number of Odd Fellows were present as Mr. Herren was also a member of said order. (Perks)

(His marker in Ullin Cemetery reads:  Robert Herren 1856-1910  Sarah M. Herren 1855-1930.—Darrel Dexter)

Mrs. William J. Baccus.

Mrs. Baccus died at her home in this city Tuesday night at 11:30. Her remains were taken to Olmsted Thursday morning, where the funeral service was held by Rev. W. D. Margraves, of this city. Interment in the Masonic cemetery at Olmsted.

Mrs. Baccus had been ill for a long time, with consumption, and in spite of all that medical skill could do, she gradually failed. Her patient and brave disposition held her cheerfulness to the last and the end came peacefully.

Mr. Baccus and his daughter and the young boy have the sympathy of the entire community.

Death of Mrs. Rachel G. Rouse.

Mrs. Rachel G. Rouse, one of the oldest residents of Mound City, died at her home on Main Street Monday afternoon at 2:15 o’clock, aged 85 years, 11 months and 19 days.

The deceased resided in Mound City for 52 years. Her husband died two years ago. She is survived by five children, James W. Rouse, of Memphis, Thomas F. Rouse, of Brazil, Ind.; Mrs. Kate R. Scott, of Edinburg, Ill.; Mrs. Eve R. Bowling, and William P. Rouse, both of Mound City. Funeral services were held at the family residence Wednesday afternoon at 2 o’clock conducted by Rev. Mr. Whitely, rector of the Episcopal Church, of which the deceased was a member. Burial at Beech Grove Cemetery. Mrs. Rouse had been in good health until six weeks ago when she injured her hip in a fall.

(Jesse L. Bowling married Eva M. Rouse on 23 Apr 1873, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)

Friday, 23 Sep 1910:
Testimony Before Coroner Is That Operator at Beech Ridge (Ill.) Was Drunk.
Dead and Hurt Trainmen of Mobile & Ohio Crushed under Coal—Operator Clark Is Placed in Jail Pending Investigation.

Cairo, Ill.—Four men were killed in a head-on collision between M. & O. and Iron Mountain freight trains near Beech Ridge, Ill., about seven miles north of Cairo. Charles E. Clark, the operator who was on duty at Beech Ridge at the time of the wreck, has been arrested and placed in jail. Testimony before the coroner’s jury was that Clark was drunk.

The dead: Crosnoe, John, fireman. Rollins, Claude, engineer. Stephenson, W. E., brakeman. Negro unidentified.

The white men lived at Jackson, Tenn., where they have families. F. A. Burgdorf, engineer of the Iron Mountain, whose home is in St. Louis, was injured and was taken to the hospital at Cairo. E. C. Buckminister, conductor of the Iron Mountain, was bruised about his head, but not seriously.

Both engines were demolished, the M. & O. engine running halfway through the Iron Mountain engine, and 12 cars of coal and lumber were destroyed, a number of cars being stacked up in the air. The trains were both going at about 30 miles an hour.

Operator Clark was not very clear when before the jury. He stated that he had only been on duty an hour, and that he had received no orders and had not given any to anyone.

Mrs. Whiteaker went to Olmsted in company with the doctor Monday morning as the doctor took Mr. Ike Crecelius over there on double-quick time where he was to view the cold, lifeless body of his wife, who he had left alive and well 24 hours before. Mr. Crecelius was in St. Louis and came in on the 9:17 train.

Mrs. Stella Berry of St. Louis, daughter of James Broyhill, died Monday. Funeral Wednesday at Villa Ridge.

(John Barry married Stella Broyhill on 21 Apr 1897, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)

Card of Thanks.

Dear friends of Olmsted and Mound City: We sincerely thank you for so kindly comforting our beloved wife and mother thorough her long sickness and death.
Will Baccus and children.

Card of Thanks.

The members of the family of the late Rachel G. Rouse wish to express their sincere thanks for the many kind remembrances and sympathy extended to them in their bereavement.

The hearse of Montgomery & Co., returning from a funeral at Bethel, west of Mounds, tipped over and was damaged about $100. The team was just passing a traction engine when the steam blew off and caused the horses to shy.

Friday, 30 Sep 1910:
Mesdames P. Miller and M. M. Titus attended the funeral of Louis Rapp in Carbondale last week. Mrs. Rapp was formerly Miss Martha Montgomery of this place (Villa Ridge).

(L. B. Rapp married Martha W. Montgomery on 19 Apr 1899, in Jackson Co., Ill.  His marker in Oakland Cemetery at Carbondale reads:  Louis B. Rapp Born Feb. 17, 1869 Died Sept. 19, 1910.—Darrel Dexter)

Maggie Crecelius, wife of I. A. Crecelius was born in Henry Co., Tenn., March 2nd, 1848, died at Olmsted, Ill., Sept. 17th, 1910, aged 62 years, 6 months, and 15 days. Funeral services were held Sept. 19th, in the Congregational church at Olmsted, conducted by Rev. Margraves of Mound City. Burial in the Masonic cemetery and was in charge of the Eastern Star Lodge of Olmsted. The following are left to mourn her departure, her husband, a sister, Mrs. W. A. Jobe, of Banaterri, Mo., one brother, of St. Louis, one brother, of Bakersfield, Cal., a son in Texas, two grandsons in Kansas and a host of friends in Olmsted and vicinity. The subject of this notice was a member of the Congregational Church and had church work uppermost in her heart, was a working member of the J. P. C. E. and took part in Sunday school work, and was very active in the weekly prayer meeting. She was a member of the Daughters of Rebekah Lodge of Olmsted, also of Eastern Star and a hard worker in the Ladies Aid of her church where she will be greatly missed. The family have the sympathy of their many friends and they can only point them to Him who doeth all things well.

A Friend.

(I. A. B. Crecelius married Maggie A. Roberts on 24 Dec 1873, in Johnson Co., Ill.  William A. Jobe married Nancy Roberts on 25 Aug 1873, in Johnson Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)

Card of Thanks.

I wish in this public manner to thank my many friends for their kindness and sympathy in my great distress, in the death of my companion and promise that any favor I can do in the future will be cheerfully done.
I. A. Crecelious

Tom Stovall, colored, was found dead in the woods Tuesday near Tamms. The coroner’s inquest pronounced his death by getting over heated. (Ullin—Intended for last week)

(Thomas Stovall, 21, of Ullin, born in Tennessee, son of Thom Stovall and Lue Barnett, married Susan Sharp, on 9 Jun 1897, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)

Burglar Kills Himself.

Alto Pass.—A young man believed to be Philip Goodwin, of Cairo, killed himself after having been wounded in battle with citizens who surprised him robbing a store here.

Death of Mrs. Dishinger.

Mrs. Lillie Dishinger, aged 40 years, died at her home in this city Tuesday evening from heart trouble with which she has been suffering the past few months. The deceased was born in West Union, W. Va., and is survived by her husband, three sons, William, Harry and Frederick, all residents of this city. She has made this city her home for the past twenty-two years and has made a host of friends who will mourn her loss. The funeral was held Thursday afternoon from the Congregational church, conducted by Rev. J. H. Runnels, of Mounds. Interment at Beech Grove Cemetery.

(Charles E. Dishinger married Lillie L. Simpson on 8 Jan 1889, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)

Friday, 7 Oct 1910:
Died, at the home of her brother, Martin Atherton, four miles northeast of Pulaski, at 1:30 o’clock, Sept. 24th, 1910, Mrs. Annie Aldred, of consumption, aged 29 years, 11 months and 17 days. She leaves three sons, aged 8, 5, and 3 years, and a daughter, aged 7 years, two brothers and a host of relatives and friends to mourn her loss. She was well liked by all who knew her and was of a cheerful disposition and bore her sufferings patiently. The entire community extend their sympathy to the little orphans.

Resolutions of Respect.

The Enterprise has received Resolutions of Respect and Condolence from the Yubavern Rebekah Lodge No. 94, I. O. O. F. of Olmsted on the death of their beloved sisters, Mrs. Merty Baccus and Mrs. Maggie Crecelius, and also from the Eastern Star Chapter of which Mrs. Crecelius was a member.
Mrs. Flora Arnold, Miss Alice Walker and J. H. Harbinson committee for the Rebekahs and Mrs. Jennie Martin and Miss Alice Walker and Mr. John M. Walker committee for the Eastern Star.
Both resolutions show the highest respect and esteem and great love for both the deceased sisters. We wish it were possible for us to publish both resolutions in full, but lack of space forbids.

Card of Thanks.

We wish to thank our many friends for the kindness and sympathy shown during the illness and death of our beloved wife and mother.
Charles Dishinger and sons.

Killed at Mounds.

Robert Mitchell, who lives in the district called Valley Recluse, just north of Mound City, was run over by an Illinois Central switch engine about 8 o’clock Sunday evening in the yards at Mounds. His screams of agony attracted the attention of some men who took him from the track. He was badly crushed and died about 10 o’clock.

His remains were taken to Mound City, where an inquest was held, the verdict being that he came to his death by being struck by a switch engine of the Illinois Central. The man was an employee of the road. He was about 25 years of age.

Friday, 14 Oct 1910:
Died, Oct. 3rd, little Clydie Childers, aged about 3 years, of pneumonia. He was laid to rest in the cemetery at Ohio Chapel. (Tick Ridge)

Friday, 21 Oct 1910:
An old man named George Allen died at his home near Pulaski last Monday. (Edith Chapel)

Friday, 28 Oct 1910:
Matthew Harmon, aged 75 years, and one of our (Ullin’s) old citizens, died Monday night and was buried at Hazlewood.

James Aldred, one of our (Pulaski’s) old citizens, died Tuesday morning. His death was a great shock to his family and friends, as he was taken ill on Monday night. He served one term as county assessor, and for the past ten years was commissioner of Pulaski Drainage District, and was always very active in business.

(James Aldred married Ellen Lackey on 14 Feb 1869, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)

Mr. Matt Harmon, an old time resident of Ullin, died Monday night.

Friday, 4 Nov 1910:
J. W. Dille was called to Pine Bluff, Ark., last Monday by the serious illness of his grandson, Joseph Spaulding.

Mrs. L. Johnson received a message from California that her brother was drowned and will be buried at Cairo the last of the week. (Ullin)

Friday, 11 Nov 1910:
Mr. Berry Sherick died at his home Monday at 1 p.m. Funeral to be held at Villa Ridge.

Mrs. L. Johnson went to Cairo Thursday to see her brother buried who was drowned in California and brought there for burial. (Ullin)

Death of Philip Stern.

Philip Stern, an old resident of Pulaski County, died suddenly at his home in Mounds at 5:50 Monday afternoon. Mr. Stern had been sick for two days, but felt well enough to go downtown yesterday morning, where he became very ill about 10 o’clock and was taken home. Deceased was a native of Germany, but came to this country and located in Pulaski County in 1871. He was an extensive property owner in Pulaski County, owning two farms at Pulaski a fine new residence at Mounds and a meat market, which he has conducted for the past eleven years, in Mounds. Mr. Stern leaves a wife and eight children, Mrs. William Milliken and Mrs. Rudy Black, of Mounds, Mrs. H. Serbian, John and Charles, of Pulaski, Gus and Henry of Mounds.

Funeral services were held Thursday at 12:30 conducted by Rev. Burger of the Lutheran church at Cairo. Interment at Beech Grove Cemetery.

Death of Mrs. Britton.

Mrs. R. L. Britton, of Pulaski, died Monday at Hot Springs, Ark., where she went to be treated for yellow jaundice, from which she had suffered for some time. Word came Sunday that she was in a critical condition. Her husband was with her. She leaves a husband, two daughters, and a son.

Death of Mrs. Schuerich.

Mrs. D. A. Schuerich, an old resident of Villa Ridge, died Monday at the home of her daughter, Mrs. M. J. McBride at the age of nearly 78 years. She had resided in Villa Ridge 45 years. Surviving her are two daughters, Mrs. M. J. McBride and Mrs. D. C. Davidson, of Villa Ridge, and two sons, A. M. Schuerich, of Villa Ridge, and W. E. Schuerich, of Pine Bluff, Ark. The funeral was held Thursday.

Friday, 18 Nov 1910:
Mrs. Wesley Strawbridge was called to the sick bedside of her sister, Mrs. Christianson, one day last week at Kankakee. Her sister died shortly after her arrival. We regret very much to hear of this. (Ohio)

Judge William F. Harman and Miss Marie Harman attended the funeral of Mr. Sherick, an old friend of the former at Villa Ridge last week. (Olmsted)

Mr. Adkins’ child of Karnak was buried at Ohio Chapel Cemetery Saturday. (Tick Ridge)

A number of friends of the family attended the funeral of Miss Ida Gibson, who was buried at Villa Ridge Thursday the 10th.


At Vienna, Wednesday, a true bill was returned to the grand jury by a vote of 12 to 11 against Thomas H. Sheridan, charging him with murder, in the killing of Harry Thacker, in that city some months ago. The foreman of the jury, appointed by Judge Butler, was the only man of the 23 who had had a personal quarrel with Sheridan.

Who Knows This Family?

Edward Smith, 17 years old, is here from Holton, Ill., seeking some trace of his people.  He states that his father fitted and sold spectacles all over the county. They lived out in the country near “Mason’s” place, where there was a large farm and a saw mill. In 1900 they moved to Mound City, where William Smith, the father, died. Shortly afterwards, Edward, Willie and Ida, children, were placed in the homes at DuQuoin and Sparta. In 1901 or 1902, the mother, Mary Smith, was married in Mound City to a Mr. Chris Singer, keeping with her the youngest child, Freddie Smith. Mr. and Mrs. Singer are supposed to have been living in Union City, Tenn., in 1908, and nothing is known of them since.

If anyone sees this who knows any further particulars of the family, the information will be grateful received by the young man. Write to the editor—and it will be forwarded to him.

(Chris Singer marred Mrs. Mary Smith on 4 Nov 1901, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)

Death of Gerald Overstreet.

Gerald Overstreet, the 2-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. R. H. Overstreet, died Thursday afternoon about 3:15. The little one had been sick for some time and gradually grew weaker, in spite of all that medical skill and loving care could do. The bereaved parents will have the sympathy of all their friends.

Death of Mr. Mowery.

Henry Mowery, an old and highly respected citizen of Wetaug, was found dead by the side of the road that runs through his farm east of town, about 2 p.m. Friday, Nov. 11, 1910. He had been working on the road embankment and it is supposed he died of heart disease.

Mr. Mowery was born on a farm in Union County, Ill., June 3, 1846. His parents were George and Marguerite Mowery. He was married to Miss Adelia Hight, daughter of the late Capt. Hight, Oct. 4, 1874. She died last February. Mr. Mowery leaves three children, Perry, Mrs. Lillie Lentz, and Mrs. Al Height, two sisters, one brother and one half brother, the latter being Thomas J. Mowery, of this place.
Mr. Mowery was a member of the Reformed Church and of the Masonic order. The funeral was held at the Reformed church Sunday the 13th, and was very largely attended. Interment in St. John’s Cemetery under the auspices of the Masons.

(Henry Mowery married Adelia Hight on 1 Oct 1874, in Union Co., Ill.  George Mowery married Margaret Dillow on 4 May 1843, in Union Co., Ill.  Tellis Lentz married Lillie Mowery on13 Apr 1898, in Pulaski Co., Ill.  William A. Hight married Nellie Maude Mowery.—Darrel Dexter)

Friday, 25 Nov 1910:
Mr. Cressie died at his home near Meridian last Monday after an illness of several years. The funeral was held Tuesday. His wife is sole survivor.

Card of Thanks.

We extend to all our friends our heartfelt thanks for the loving sympathy and willing aid given to us during our time of sorrow in the illness and death of our baby Gerald.
Mr. and Mrs. R. H. Overstreet.

Mine Foreman Fatally Crushed.

West Frankfort.—Ulysses G. Spears, top foreman at the Green gravel mine of the Saline County Coal Company, at Carrier Mills, was caught between two cars and instantly crushed to death.

Friday, 2 Dec 1910:
Mrs. William Puddephate, elder daughter of J. S. Dille, died at her home in Pine Bluff, Ark., Wednesday, Nov. 21, of congestion of the stomach after only two days’ illness. Her relatives here, Francis Dille and family and W. H. Spaulding and family, were with her at the time of her death. Mrs. Puddephate leaves a husband and seven children to mourn her untimely death.

(William Puddefhate married Effie May Dille on 5 Apr 1892, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)

Edward Smith Finds His Mother.

Our readers will remember that the Enterprise mentioned a week or so ago a young man being here seeking some trace of his mother, from whom he had been separated for many years, he having been placed in a Children’s Home. We are happy to say that his mother saw the Enterprise in St. Louis, read the notice, and has written here requesting prompt information as to the whereabouts of her boy. This week will probably prove to be a real Thanksgiving week for all the folks of that family.

Death of Mr. Prindle.

D. W. Prindle died at his home on Sunday, Nov. 27th, 1910, at 1 p.m. He was born in Vermont in 1844, and has resided in Villa Ridge 28 years during which time he has been a leader in all movements looking to the common advancement of society, and the up building of the community. Mr. Prindle was liberal minded, progressive and public spirited, tolerant in his view and respected the views of others, even to exerting a pacifying influence where a lack of harmony was apparent.

He was a member of the Alex. Co. I. O. O. F., also a charter member of the Villa Ridge Fruit Shippers’ Association, the successful development of which is largely due to his untiring zeal, broad intelligence, and marked eacutios (?) ability. He was interested in and conversant with the vital questions of the day and possessed the happy faculty of the fluency of language and the ability to express his views forcibly and convincingly. A wife, one son, D. W. Prindle, and a daughter, Miss Emma, are left to mourn his loss. The funeral was conducted by Alex. Co. I. O. O. F. Tuesday afternoon and was largely attended. Interment at Villa Ridge.

Mrs. Catherine Barney, of Sedro Wooley, Wash., arrived Monday night to visit Mr. and Mrs. J. G. Rhine for a few days. Mrs. Barney’s first husband was a brother of Joel G. and John W. Rhine and died in Nebraska in 1878. Joel G. was living near him at the time and was at his bedside when he died.

Mr. and Mrs. George Betts, Mr. and Mrs. Otto Betts, Mrs. John Betts, and daughter Miss Allie and Miss Minnie Boyd went to East Prairie, Mo., Sunday to attend the funeral of Miss Mattie Moxley which was held Monday in that city.

Friday, 9 Dec 1910:
W. H. H. Stokes, the old veteran, is confined to his bed threatened with pneumonia. (Pulaski)

Wesley Neile died at his home Nov. 28, being sick only a few days of spinal trouble. He was thirty-four years old. He is survived by his wife, one son, mother, sister, two brothers and a host of friends to mourn his death. He was laid to rest in the Boren Cemetery at 2:30 p.m. (Ohio)

Police Sergeant W. V. French of Cairo, Shot by Sheriff A. C. Bankson, of Pulaski County.

Night Sergeant Wilford V. French, of the Cairo police force, was shot and killed by Sheriff A. C. Bankson, of this county, at 5:15 p.m. Saturday, December 3rd.

The shooting occurred at Police Headquarters in Cairo, in the presence of Street Supervisor John Sheehan and Officer L. H. Paul. Jailor Lutz was in his office, on the same floor.

Three shots were fired by Sheriff Bankson in quick succession, from a 38 Colts Special. At the first shot Sergeant French dropped to the floor, wounded in the region of the heart, the other two shots went wild, as officer Paul sprang upon Bankson and grappled with him for possession of the weapon, finally wrestling it from his hand. Sergeant French expired in a few minutes.

Sheriff Bankson had been at police headquarters but a very short time. He walked in with a pair of new handcuffs of peculiar pattern in his hand, and asked for a key to unlock them. Jailor Lutz had no key to fit. Bankson sat down in a chair near the wall. Sergeant French came in to get ready to go to duty. Bankson asked him for a key to fit the cuffs. Sergeant French replied that he had none. Bankson was apparently in a very good humor, and his requests about the keys were made with a smiling face. Sergeant French was standing at a desk with his back to Bankson, in the act of pinning on his officer badge. Bankson arose, started out, wheeled, and in a flash fired the three shots as stated.

No cause can be assigned for the shooting, unless it may possibly have been about a revolver which was taken from Bankson some days ago when he was arrested in Cairo. At that time he insisted that the gun be returned to him, which was refused, and it is said he became angry at Sergeant French for this refusal.

The news of the shooting came as a terrible shock to Mound City and was the sole topic of conversation on the streets. Deep regret was heard everywhere over the occurrence. Much sympathy was freely expressed for Sheriff Bankson’s estimable family here. Mrs. Bankson and the two daughters have a large circle of warm personal friends, and are most highly respected.  His son, Mannon, has been deputy sheriff for four years, and is liked by most everyone.

Sheriff Bankson in his official term of four years, and as a farmer and stock raiser previously, has made and held many close friends. To these friends who know him, know his temperament, his good qualities, and his faults, this tragedy at Cairo is wholly inexplicable.

To the thought of his friends this act of Ab Bankson’s is totally unlike him as to be wholly unnatural, and no explanation of his deed seems believable, save that of insanity.

Bankson’s associates know that he has been under an awful mental and physical strain for months, during the primary and election campaigns. They know, too, that the defeat of his son for the office of sheriff was the bitterest disappointment of the father’s life, and that it preyed on his mind constantly even though masked from casual observer.

Who is there humanly wise enough to say, with certainty, considering Bankson’s life long habits and considering these recent heavy burdens thrust upon him, that his mental control might not waver and even snap and break at almost any moment?

(Abner C. Bankson married Laura B. Curry on 27 May 1883, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)

Death of James S. Hale.

Many of the old citizens of the county will recall Mr. James S. Hale, who spent the most of his life here until a few years ago.

A letter from Mrs. Hale, to a friend gives the information of Mr. Hale’s death at his home in Adkins, Ark., on November 6th.

Mr. Hale was a relative of Dr. Allen, an old time physician of Grand Chain. Also a relative of Mrs. William Bartleson.

He leaves a widow, two sons at home, a married daughter, at Memphis, and a married daughter at Little Rock. One other son of Mr. Hale’s was drowned in Black River, Ark., about two years ago.

Death of Mr. Price.

Monday morning Dec. 5, 1910, Mr. Thomas Price, one of the oldest native-born citizens of Pulaski County, passed away. He was born near Olmsted about 75 years ago and had always lived in the county. He had been ill a year with a disease known as arterial sclerosis, a gradual hardening of the coats of the arteries and the valves of the heart in which the circulation of the blood gradually stops and the patient dies of inanition.

Mr. Price was married just after the Civil War to the widow of Captain Rigsby and several children were born to them, all are now dead. His wife died about 18 years ago. He was a brother to Nick and John Price, who formerly resided near Grand Chain. They are dead, but have several sons living near there yet. In politics, Mr. Price was always a Democrat. For the last fifteen years he has resided by himself, most of the time in Wetaug. He was a plain man, strictly moral and temperate in his habits. While not a member of any church, but was just as good as any of his neighbors. He did not fear death and had no fear of the future, and in his death Wetaug lost one of its best citizens, a man who always attended strictly to his own business and did the best he could according to his lights.

(Thomas Price married E. Rigby on 25 Feb 1868, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)

Mr. Mike Egner Dies at Mounds.

Mr. Mike Egner, Sr., an old resident of the county, and well known, died suddenly at Mounds Thursday morning. It is reported that he took a quantity of carbolic acid, ether purposely or by mistake.

(His marker in St. Joseph’s Cemetery at Wetaug reads:  Mikel Egner Born May 8, 1844 Died Dec. 8, 1910.—Darrel Dexter)

Word was received here Wednesday of the death of Pearl Freeman, the eldest son of Mrs. Annie Freeman, of this city. The deceased was a former resident of this city and with his family recently moved to Danville, where he was employed in the mines at that place. He is survived by his wife, two children, mother, and brother Eddie. The latter left that day for Danville to look after the remains.

Friday, 16 Dec 1910:
Mrs. John Bundschuh was called to the bedside of her mother, Mrs. Graves, of Villa Ridge, the first of the week.

(John Wesley Bundschuh married Flora Graves on 20 Oct 1897, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)

Woman Found Dead in Chair.

Alto Pass.—When Ernest Smith went home the other night he found his grandmother, Mrs. Nicey Alexander, dead in her chair. Heart failure is ascribed as the cause.

(Bethyl H. Alexander married Nicy Zimmerman on 1 Sep 1870, in Union Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)

F. M. Jones.

Mr. F. M. Jones, of Metropolis, died at his home Sunday night, and interment took place Tuesday afternoon, the funeral being conducted by the Masonic lodge. Mr. Jones was a brother of our old friends, J. M. Jones, of Grand Chain, and when J. M. was so dangerously ill a year ago, this brother and another were at his bedside, without hope. J. M. recovered and is now well and strong and both his brothers have since died.

Cecil Henry Scruggs.

Little Cecil Henry Scruggs, the 8-year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George M. Scruggs, died at her home Sunday morning, Dec. 11, 1910. Interment Monday afternoon at Beech Grove, the funeral exercises being conducted by Rev. J. H. Runnals, of Mounds.

The little girl was a favorite with all who knew her, and was idealized by her parents. Mr. and Mrs. Scruggs have the deep sympathy of all their friends in this time of sorrow and bereavement.

Friday, 23 Dec 1910:
Last Saturday the funeral of the late Benjamin Phillips was held at our church (Edith Chapel). He departed this life Dec. 15th, at Harrisburg, Ill., where he and his brothers were employed in the mines. He leaves a father, mother, one sister, several brothers, and other relatives and friends to mourn his loss. He was sick only a few days with typhoid fever. This was a double bereavement to the family, as they had lost another son on Monday of the same week. Both were interred in the Villa Ridge cemetery. Benjamin was 32 years old and was the eldest son. He was also the leader of what was known as the Phillips string band. Rev. F. Douglas, of Harrisburg, officiated at the funeral, assisted by our pastor. He was buried under the auspices of the Masonic order of Hodges Park, of which he was a member.

Bankson Likes Jackson County

Ex-Sheriff Bankson, of Pulaski County, who killed Sergeant French in Cairo, December 3, and is in the Jackson County jail, declines to talk about his case. He has many visitors every day. He impresses Sheriff Edwards, Deputies White and Roberts, as a fine fellow, being quite pleasant of manner and quiet. Bankson is well pleased with the Murphysboro jail and the treatment accorded him by the sheriff and deputies. He is not treated any better than other prisoners though.

The above is clipped from the Murphysboro Daily Independent of December 14th.

Friday, 30 Dec 1910:
One Killed Two Hurt
Working on New Courthouse at Salem When Big Crane Breaks.

Centralia—Fred Cady, 40 years old, was instantly killed, Joseph Estes, 30, injured fatally, and William Harter, 31, hurt badly, by the fall of a 40-foot crane at the new courthouse under construction at Salem.  An attempt was being made to lift a three-ton stone when the crane broke under the weight, pinning the men to the ground. Cady’s head was crushed. Estes suffered broken bones and internal injuries all over the body.

Explosion Kills Mine Inspector.

Harrisburg.—A gas explosion in No. 3 O’Gara mine killed Mine Inspector John Goff, whose body was recovered. The cause of the explosion is unknown.

Dies on Train at Centralia.

Centralia.—Silver Chaney, of Sullivan, Ind., died of tuberculosis on an Illinois Central train at Centralia. He was homeward bound from San Angelo, Texas.

Mr. Robert McCormic, son of James McCormic, who lately moved here from northern Ohio with his father and took charge of the charcoal kilns at Tamms, died at Cairo recently. The funeral was conducted by Rev. Williams at the Baptist church. Although a stranger, he was tenderly laid to rest in Butter Ridge Cemetery. The entire community (Perks) extend sympathy to the bereaved family.

The colored man Harris, who was accidentally shot and taken to St. Mary’s hospital at Cairo, died Saturday. (Ullin)


WHEREAS, It has pleased Almighty God, in His infinite wisdom, to take from our midst our well beloved brother, Philip Stern, Therefore, be it

RESOLVED, That Olmsted Lodge No. 47, A. F. & A. M. extend to the wife and family of our beloved brother our heartfelt sympathy in this, their sad hour of bereavement. Be it further

RESOLVED, That we drape our charter for a period of 30 days, and that these resolutions be spread upon our minutes, and also that a copy of these resolutions be sent to the family and published in our county paper.
I. A. Crecelius
W. A. Bohm
O. Caraker, Com.

Former Anna Mayor Dead.

Anna.—Henry F. Bussey, aged 56, former mayor and member of Union County bar, died of kidney trouble at the home of his son-in-law, Robert L. Shannon, in Anna. Mr. Bussey came to Anna some thirty years ago from Chicago, as a pharmacist. Later he studied law.

(Henry F. Bussey married Mary Olive Fowler in December 1878 in Randolph Co., Ill.  A marker in Anna City Cemetery reads:  Henry F. Bussey 1852-1910.  Mary Olive Bussey, His Wife, 1852-1902.—Darrel Dexter)

Pulaski Index Page

Last Page