Obituaries and Death Notices
in Pulaski County, Illinois Newspapers

The National Emporium and

Mound City Weekly Emporium

12 Feb 1857 -  31 Dec 1857

Mound City, Pulaski County, Illinois

Transcribed and annotated by Darrel Dexter

The National Emporium, Thursday, 12 Feb 1857:
DISTRESSING ACCIDENT—A little girl, aged about eleven years, daughter of Mark Foster, who lives about fourteen miles up Cache River from this city, while playing last week, on the immediate brink of that stream, fell from the top of the bank a distance of about eighteen feet into a pile of drift.  The little creature's skull was fractured by the fall and her arm so shockingly broken that amputation became at once necessary. Her parents unalarmed at her absence from the house made no search for her until after dark, when they found her lying on the drift unable to move.

BOY KILLED—A boy, whose name we have not learned, was killed in front of the freight depot at Cairo last week.  He got on a truck car to ride to the river and when about half way down, from a sudden jerk of the car, was pitched headlong on to the track, the car running over his breast.  He died in ten minutes afterwards.

The National Emporium, Thursday, 19 Feb 1857:
MAN DROWNED—A deck hand, whose name we were unable to learn, fell overboard from the steamer New York, just above Mound City, last Saturday night.  He kept himself above the water several minutes, but at the moment the lifeboat reached him, he sank to rise no more.

BOY DROWNED—As the steamer Hellen Mars was leaving our landing last week, a person supposed to be a boy, by persons on shore, fell overboard and drowned.  The occurrence was after dark, a heavy fog prevailing.  His cries were heard for several minutes, and a number of skiffs promptly started to relieve him, but he sank before they could discover his whereabouts.  No particulars concerning him gathered.

The National Emporium, Thursday, 2 Apr 1857:
STEAMBOAT COLLISION—LOSS OF LIFE—On the night of the 27th ult., the steamer White Bluff, downward bound, came in collision with the steamer George Albree, bound upward, immediately opposite Cairo, in the Ohio River, and sunk in twenty minutes.  Three lives were reported lost, that of the second clerk among the number.  The Albree towed the wreck to the Kentucky shore, where it now lies, a total loss.

The National Emporium, Thursday, 16 Apr 1857:
Henry L. Breese, son of the Hon. Sydney Breese, of this state, was killed in the trenches before Grenada. He was, we understand, one of the first adventures under Walker.

Smith, the Murderer of Blackburn, Escaped.

Dr. D. T. Smith, upon whom rests the charge of murdering Dr. Blackburn, in the streets of Cairo, a few weeks since, made his escape last Sunday night, and beyond all probability, effectually.  There is a mystery enveloping this matter which should be explained away.

Immediately after the commission of the crime, Dr. Smith fled from Cairo, but after the most untiring search of several days, was overhauled in the swamps of Missouri, bound and brought back.  The case was then investigated by a court of inquiry, and adjudged bailable.  He was required to fill a bond for ten thousand dollars for his appearance at the next circuit court.  Failing, at the time, to do this, he was taken to Jonesboro to be imprisoned, but the following day we heard of him in Cairo.  Subsequently, we learn he was taken to Thebes, the county seat of the county in which the offence was committed, there to be imprisoned, but in a few days, afterwards, he was seen in Cairo, proclaiming that he had given bail—could have filled three such bonds—that he was a badly abused man—would see the matter through and clearly demonstrate that he had been wronged and foully wronged.  Now we learn, as a finale to the whole affair, that last Sunday night he escaped from the officer having him in charge, stole a skiff from the landing, left the city, and has not been pursued!  If he had answered the demands of the law—given satisfactory bail—why was he still retained in the charge of an officer, and why was the public kept profoundly ignorant of the names of the sureties after the most diligent inquiry?  This feature of the transaction is, we confess, unaccountable also to the public.  There might have been necessities which rendered the procedure imperative, but without a knowledge of them, the friends of the deceased, at all events, can urge with a show of reason, that unwarrantable steps have been taken by those to whose care Smith was consigned.  We make no direct charge against any person concerned, but in common with the public, regard the whole affair as enveloped in a mystery which should, if possible, be explained away.  To that end, we offer our columns.

We were informed last week by an officer of the Mound City tow boat Buckeye Belle, that an Irishman fell from the boat while lying at the quarry, six miles up Cumberland River, and drowned.  He was a laborer, we believe, engaged at the quarry.

An accident occurred near Taylorsville, Kentucky, a few days since, which was attended with fatal consequence.  It appears that Mr. H. A. Alford, in company with his wife, was returning home from a visit to a neighbor.  Coming to a fence, Mr. A. stooped to lift a rock, intending to place it on the other side for his wife to step on.  In lifting the rock, a revolver in his pocket exploded.  He uttered an exclamation of pain, walked a few steps, and fell dead, the contents of the weapon having passed through his heart.

The National Emporium, Thursday, 23 Apr 1857:
DIED—In Chicago on the 11th inst., George Hite, infants of of Joseph B. and Rhoda Hite Sheridan, aged 5 months, and 11 days. The remains will be taken to Louisville for interment.  Chicago Times, April 12.

The National Emporium, Thursday, 30 Apr 1857:
The Blackburn Murder

The Times & Delta infers from an article recently published in the Emporium, relative to the escape of Dr. Smith, who is charged with the murder of Dr. Blackburn, that we claimed to create the impression that the people of Cairo were averse to Smith's trial.  Most assuredly we had no such intention, whatever may be the impression the article created, and we cannot see that the deductions are justifiable.  So far as our observation has extended, we were induced to believe public opinion decidedly against Smith, in fact we never heard the offence characterized otherwise than as a foul and atrocious murder—one richly meriting the punishment generally awarded to such in "civilized places."  Cairo's sins are numerous enough, we think, without adding to the list any from which it is possible for her to escape.  In attributing to us, therefore, an intention which at the time and is now foreign to us, the Times & Delta does us injustice.

SINGULAR DEATH—The Muscatine Journal notices the death of William McCarter, of that place, on the 7th of March.  About the middle of last month, McCarter had a fight with a man at Rock Island, who bit his finger.  Inflammation took place, the arm shriveled away and McCarter finally died from the effects of the bite.

The National Emporium, Thursday, 14 May 1857:
"MURDER WILL OUT."—Simon Dillon, who is sixty years of age, was arrested at his residence in Clay County last week, for the murder of his own son, a youth of 15 years, committed ten years ago.  At this time, Dillon gave the boy a severe flogging, after which the boy was missing, and the father reported that he had run off.  But he has never been heard of, and "all those long years" the neighbors looked upon the man with suspicion.  Recently, search was made for the remains of the boy, and they were found in the defendant’s cellar, where they had been covered up. Dillon was lodged in jail to await his trial.—Vincennes (Ind.) Gazette.

The National Emporium, Thursday, 21 May 1857:
DIED—On Friday the 8th inst., of typhoid pneumonia, at America, Pulaski County, Ellery P. Wilson, in the 31st year of his age.

(His marker in Wilson Cemetery near America reads:  Ellery P. Wilson Born Nov. 29, 1825 Died May 8, 1857.—Darrel Dexter)

DIED—On Monday morning, 18th inst., William Jinkins, son of Daniel and Ann Hopper, aged 6 years.

The National Emporium, Thursday, 11 Jun 1857:


           Last Sunday afternoon, an Irishman by the name of John Kenneday committed suicide by drowning.  The facts of the case, as nearly as we can arrive at them, are these:

           After ending his work on Saturday, in Messrs. King & Lyle’s brick yard, he made several purchases about town, among other things, a suit of common clothing.  These he put on his person and commenced a round among the liquor shops at the Landing, ceasing it only when his power of locomotion ceased.  Next morning, symptoms of delirium tremens presented themselves, which he attempted to dispel by a free use of liquor.—Instead of allaying them it had a contrary effect—aggravated them until they entirely dethroned his reason.  At three o’clock, while under this terrible mental derangement, he repaired to a point on the Ohio, immediately below the Foundry and there, divesting his person of all clothing, plunged wildly into the river.  No interference could be made in time; before it was attempted, indeed, he threw his hands aloft, and without a word, sank beneath the water forever.

           This morning (Wednesday) his body arose to the surface of the water—he had been taken out, we believe, and properly disposed of.

Every reader may comment for himself upon the facts we have presented.  Should we denominate the occurrence “murder” we do not know that the term would be misapplied.


Distressing Accident

           Last Monday night, during the violent storm which passed over our city, Mrs. Olney, wife of our fellow townsman, J. W. Olney, was killed by the falling of a tree.  Mr. Olney is a newcomer in the place, and had located temporarily in a log cabin, in the upper part of the city, around which remained heavy standing timber.  The storm arose about half past seven o’clock, at a time when Mr. Olney, his wife and Mr. Wallace Kirkpatrick were sitting in front of the cabin, discussing means whereby danger might be avoided.  The wind increasing in violence, the parties at once determined to seek refuge elsewhere, and were in the act of doing so, when a tall oak tree, overshadowing their cabin, was suddenly snapped, and commenced falling.  Mr. Kirkpatrick was prostrated by its fall, and narrowly escaped destruction.  His escape indeed may be considered miraculous.  Mr. Olney was knocked down while attempting to shield his wife by a limb which detached itself from the main trunk of the tree, and for a moment remained unconscious.  When he recovered his senses, he found his wife lying beneath two heavy fragments of the tree in a state of unconsciousness—her head shockingly wounded, her thigh broken and body badly bruised.  She was at once picked up and carried to a neighboring house, where she received the kindest attention.  Physicians were called and expressed hopes of her recovery, but within an hour after the accident, the breath left her body.  She never spoke after receiving the injuries.

Tuesday afternoon the body was interred in the Mound City Cemetery, but upon the receipt of a metallic coffin, the same evening, it was promptly disinterred.  It will be taken, we understand, for final interment to Higginsport, Ohio, where her parents reside.


The National Emporium, Thursday, 9 Jul 1857:

Fatal and Deplorable Accident

           A middle-aged man named Peck, engaged as a lath sawyer at Messrs. Palmer & Clawson’s Mill, near this city, was killed last Wednesday, by a blow upon the head from piece of timber which he was converting into lath.  The timber had passed beyond the saw, and one end falling from the frame to the ground, threw the other end in contact with the saw while revolving.  In an instant it was hurled back upon the head of Mr. Peck, injuring him so seriously that he lived but fifteen minutes after the occurrence.  He was a poor man, and has left, in almost destitute circumstances, a wife and six children.  His remains were shipped to Joliet, in this state, where his family resides.


Dead Body Found

           Under the head of “Man Murdered” on the 18th ult., we alluded to the discovery, a few weeks previous, of the decaying remains of a man in the woods in this county, near the junction of the Mound City Railroad with the Illinois Central.  Since that time we have received from Mr. Z. P. Sinks, coroner of the county, a letter conveying such information in reference to the matter as he and the jury were able to gather.  The verdict of the jury was that the man had been murdered, but in what manner could not be determined, no indications of violence being apparent.—His clothes, which were badly torn, were of the finest material and had been well made.  They were buried with the remains.  Three of his teeth had been plugged with gold foil, one of them having two plugs, the other two, one plug each.  Near the remains was found a gold mourning pin containing a common Whitestone or flint glass set, conical in shape and about the size of an ordinary May pea.  To the casing containing this, is a stem, slightly curved, about five eighths of an inch in length.  This pin is at present in our hands.  The teeth are in the hands of the coroner.  Nothing whatever was found to indicate the unfortunate man’s name, where he had resided or any other fact through which his friends might readily identify him.  The supposition is that at the time of his death he was in the country with a view of making investments in lands.  These facts, conclusions and suppositions, are cheerfully given with the hope that they will furnish some person a clue to the awful mystery.


The National Emporium, Thursday 16 Jul 1857

Hung Himself

           Last Saturday, in the early part of the day, a German named Thomas Fry, who had been for a short time engaged in one of Messrs. King & Lyle’s brick yards in this city, repaired to the woods in the rear of the pottery, and there, fastening a rope to the limb of a tree and then around his neck, deliberately hung himself.  On Sunday morning the body was discovered, and readily recognized.  After the necessary inquiries into the “manner and cause of the death,” the remains were properly interred on the spot, at the expense of the city.

           The deceased had just returned from Nicaragua, where he had been in the service of Gen. Walker, and where, perhaps the habit of dissipation (to which we may attribute his self-destruction) fastened itself upon him.  He had a decided aversion to work and shortly before destroying himself, declared that he would rather die than labor for a living.  In this we must certainly accord him sincerity—“he has shown his faith by his works.”  He formerly resided, we understand, in the state of New York.

           We do not wish to speak of this matter with too much levity—it is a serious occurrence and is suggestive of corresponding comments, but we must express our admiration of that judgment which induced the unhappy man to hang himself here, where his remains would be cared for.  Had he hung himself in Cairo, he would be hanging yet!


The National Emporium, Thursday, 23 Jul 1857:

Death of David Y. Bridges

           From the Jonesboro Gazette, we gather intelligence of the death of David Y. Bridges.  He died at Vienna, Johnson County, in this state, on Friday, the 10th instant.  As a public man and private citizen, Mr. Bridges ever commanded universal respect.  At the time of his death he was the representative of Johnson County, in the lower branch of the Illinois Legislature—a position he filled with credit to himself and the satisfaction of ________.

Man Drowned

An Irishman named Hopkins, while bathing in the Ohio, last Sunday evening, in company with four other persons terminated his existence by drowning.—quite unobserved, he sank beneath the surface of the water, to reappear only as a corpse.  Mr. F. Fair, who happened to be at the landing, rescued the body within two minutes after its disappearance, and, assisted by others, promptly endeavored to resuscitate it, but all to no purpose.—We trust this will, hereafter, serve as a warning to such persons, as have hitherto similarly outraged decency and desecrated the Sabbath.  The remains, we learn, were conveyed to the cemetery.


The National Emporium, Thursday, 30 Jul 1857:

Excitement at Cairo

           Cairo, just at this time, is a perfect whirlpool of excitement.  Business being dead—utterly destitute of vitality—the citizens of the place, in order to avoid excesses in such vices as idleness is the parent of (!) are just now busy fighting, lawing, drinking and gaming at billiards, etc., with an earnestness that rather indicates that they like it.

           Monday last we visited Cairo, and inquiring into the cause of the excitement so prevalent throughout the city, were informed that a number of belligerent white folks, the Saturday night previous, had made a descent upon a nest of negroes with a view of driving them out of town, and otherwise punishing them for previous insolence.  The negroes made a resistance, and in the rumpus one of them shot a white man, named Thomas Hill, in the face, wounding him so severely that his life, on Monday, was despaired of.

Edward Willett, Esq., deputy sheriff of the county, one of the editors of the Times & Delta, attorney at law, etc., summoned a posse commitatus, and in turn made a descent upon the aforesaid belligerent whites.  His force was composed of forty picked men, selected not with an eye to size and beauty, but to unflinching courage.  It was truly a warlike group.  Early Sunday morning the strongholds of the rioters were attacked by the “posse” and three persons, Gatlin, Ewing, and Stancill, were taken prisoners—not, however, without a desperate, yet bloodless struggle between the “posse” and the two old women who chose to interfere with the sheriff while making the arrests.  The prisoners were at once thrown into the calaboose, where they remained until Monday morning, when they were bailed out.

           This event was followed by vigorous proceedings against negroes for remaining in the State contrary to law.—During our stay a number of suits were instituted, and the determination to rid the place of that class of population seemed to have taken quite a deep root among the citizens.  We have no doubt that the law carried into execution, will answer the demands of the whites.  If it does not, however, force will be resorted to, which, very likely, will result in bloodshed and loss of life.  The white offenders were to have been tried Tuesday morning.

           This negro excitement, if we may so call it, was originally started, we believe, by the sudden disappearance of one or more negroes from the place, and their subsequent appearance in Missouri.  Facts in connection with this matter, if we are correctly informed, justified the arrest of two or three persons for kidnapping.  The persons so arrested are now under heavy bonds to answer, etc.  From this promptness on the part of the authorities, the negroes took license to become insolent to an intolerable degree.  They would, if in crowds together, insult white folks grossly, crowd unprotected females from the sidewalks, and blackguard them.  These outrages could not be well borne, and may be given as the direct cause of the outbreak on Saturday night.

The conduct of the persons accused of kidnapping is very generally condemned, yet as it is regarded as no justification for the insolence of the negroes, we predict that the excitement will not be fully allayed so long as a colored person remains in Cairo contrary to the provisions of the law.


Mound City Weekly Emporium

Mound City Weekly Emporium, Thursday 13 Aug 1857:

A man, supposed from the description to be one of the murderers of the woman and children found in the Illinois River, near Merdosia, was arrested in Boonville, Mo., on the 29th ult.


Mound City Weekly Emporium, Thursday, 3 Sep 1857:


           In this city, on the 29th ult., Josephine, adopted daughter of I. D. & S. A. Long, aged six months and seven days.


Mound City Weekly Emporium, Thursday, 10 Sep 1857:

Suicidally Determined.

           A man named Roberts cut his throat on board the steamer, Gladiator, at Cairo a week ago, or so since, but fortunately or unfortunately, we don’t know which, didn’t succeed in killing himself.  He was transferred to the hotel, where he repeatedly tried to get out of the window to effect his destruction.  Last week, says the Times & Delta, while on his way home, he attempted to jump from the cars while in motion, and but for the close attention of the person having him in charge, would have succeeded.  He seems determined to kill himself, and beyond probability will carry out his destruction.


Mound City Weekly Emporium, Thursday, 17 Sep 1857:


           In this city, 10 o’clock, on Monday night, the 14th inst., of bilious fever, Pierre A. Badeau, aged about thirty-six years.

           Mr. Badeau, up to the time of his death, was in the employment of E. R. E. & M. Co., as civil engineer.  He was a gentleman highly esteemed by our citizens, although among them he was comparatively a stranger.  His death was sudden and unexpected, and has cast a shadow over the hearts of all who knew him.  His remains were sent to Alton for interment.  A wife, upon whom his death fell with the most heart-rending effect, and two small children survive him.



           In Putnam, Ohio, August 8th, Ida, adopted child of Samuel and Lettie Chapman.

Tread lightly; our Ida is dying.  Slowly the life light is fading from her bright eyes.  Colder, still colder, grows the little hand, until its icy touch sends a chill to fond hearts that have cherished it.  The breath grows fainter, the taper of life burns lower—it wavers—now it is extinguished forever.  Our babe is gone! And a deep gloom settles over the household.  The little form is robed for the last time in white, a fit emblem of its own purity.  Softly lay it in its cradle bed; close the blue veined lids over the glassy eyes, gently fold the white, waxen hands; quietly, peacefully, let it rest.  Then comes the long, weary night.  The dear little one heeds not now that strangers have bend over it.  But shall we leave it there alone?  Shall a stranger watch over it the last night it will be with us?  Yes, it must be so!  And with an aching heart we go to rest.

The morrow comes.  The coffin is here.  Lift tenderly that little form as you lay it in its last resting place.

We have laid the loved one, the household idol, in “Woodlawn” beside its mother, where flowers will bloom above it, where birds will warble praises to Him who “doeth all things well.”

Father!  Strengthen us that we may bow to the blast that has shorn us of our darling and meekly say, “Thy will be done.”


Mound City Weekly Emporium, Thursday, 24 Sep 1857:


           We are truly grieved to hear of the death of our friend, P A. Badeau, Esq., who died at Mound City, Southern Illinois, on Sunday the 13th inst., after a brief illness.  Mr. Badeau was a civil engineer and surveyor of much ability and experience, a thorough gentleman, and a man of singular modesty, integrity and uprightness.  He was for some time engaged upon the St. Louis, Alton, Chicago R. R, during its construction; was subsequently for some years a resident of St. Louis and removed to Southern Illinois only last spring.  He leaves a young wife and two small children to mourn their incalculable loss.  May He who tempers the wind to the shorn lamb, speak consolation to the desolate hearts of the widow and the fatherless.  Bloomington Pantograph


Mound City Weekly Emporium, Thursday, 1 Oct 1857:

Murder or Suicide!

           Last Tuesday evening, a foreigner, laboring under the highest mental excitement, applied at our office and at the office of John Yaryan, Esq., attorney at law, for “a paper,” as he expressed himself, which would prevent someone, whose name he was unable to give in an intelligible manner, “from murdering him.”  He declared in the most agonizing manner that his life would be taken during Tuesday night, and finding that he could not procure the protection he craved, he at once gave way to a flood of tears.  He stated that he was destitute of money, and could not, therefore, procure shelter, had no pistol or other weapons, which he could use in defending himself.  Leaving a small memoranda wallet, his naturalization papers, &c., in the hands of Esq. Yaryan, he left the office a picture of utter despair.  Several times previous to eight o’clock in the evening he was seen wandering about in a wild and distracted manner, and early Wednesday morning, his lifeless body was found lying on the wharf, immediately above the principal steamboat landing, bearing, so far as we have learned, on the left breast in the region of the heart, a single stab, from the small blade of a pocket knife.  The knife was found on the ground, covered with blood.

           The facts we have stated, taken by themselves, tend to confirm the belief that the man was murdered; but taken in connection with other facts attending the case, render it more than probable that he destroyed himself.  Among the latter facts we may mention that no noise was heard by those living in the vicinity—his shirt was not perforated by the blade of the knife, but had been drawn aside, so as not to interfere with the blow.  The knife was left on the ground, which we think would not have been the case had the man fallen by the hand of another, no knife was found about the person of the deceased, and it is generally conceded that he was laboring under a distressing hallucination of the brain.  These facts, in our mind, overbalance his excited expressions on the day previous.

           The deceased was a Swede, was born in Oberdorf, in the year 1818, and filed a declaration of intention to become a citizen of the United States, at Jackson, Michigan, on the 5th day of July 1856.  His name is Joseph Archer.


Mound City Weekly Emporium, Thursday, 15 Oct 1857:


In this city, on Friday night last, Sarah Belle, daughter of Wallace and Martha Kirkpatrick, aged two years and two months.

(Wallace W. Kirkpatrick married Martha Vance in 1854 in Cincinnati, Ohio.—Darrel Dexter)


Death of Gilbert Boren

           Last week under the head of “Terrible Affray Two Men Killed,” we adverted to a lamentable occurrence on board the Gazelle on Wednesday evening last, giving the most plausible ___ the affair we could frame from various and singularly conflicting rumors in circulation in reference to it.  We made no claims to accuracy in our ___ment, as from no two persons, at the time we were seeking information, could gather the same story.  We promised, therefore, in our present number, to give a more reliable account of the difficulty, and believe the following to be.

           On the arrival of the steamer Gazelle, at our landing, on Wednesday evening, the __ last on her way to Paducah, Edward Hudson, James Hudson, and Gilbert Boren took passage for Caledonia—the two former being under the influence of liquor at the time—the latter, Mr. Boren, manifesting evidence that he had been indulging in liquor, also, but only to an inconsiderable extent.  All, however, were jolly and at intervals drank from liquor that they had, or found on board.

           When supper was announced, all three proceeded to the table, determined to “behave themselves,” as they expressed it, out of respect for a lady passenger—a determination in which it is said Mr. Boren readily joined.  Shortly after seating themselves at the table, Edward Hudson called for a glass of water.  The cook ____ Wallace serving as a waiter, brought, in obedience to the call, water in a common tea cup, whereupon Hudson remarked that it was not exactly what he asked for, but  it was water, guess he’d make it answer.  To this remark the cook instantly replied, “There it is—it is the best we have—if it don’t suit you, go ashore.”  Hudson at once rejoined, addressing himself partly to the cook and partly to Mr. Boren, “D—n you, we’ll put you overboard; won’t we Gill?” “Yes,” replied Boren, “we’ll take him down some, certain.”

           At this juncture, the Captain of the Gazelle ordered the cook into the kitchen, and as, in compliance with such order, he was in the act of passing into the door of the same, Ed Hudson threw a ___cer at him, which was immediately followed by a teacup, thrown by some other ____on.   We are not informed that either of these missiles took effect.  Shortly after the occurrence, the Captain saw the cook __ding the middle of the kitchen floor with a large butcher knife, the blade of which proved to be some eight or ten inches long, partly concealed in his coat-sleeve, the handle resting in his hand.  He at once took the knife from him, and urged him to remain in the kitchen—fearing that he would endanger his life by returning—that the parties named were ___ed, and would surely attack him.  The injunctions the cook regarded only long enough to again arm himself with a knife of which the captain had divested him.  He again appeared in the kitchen door which communicates with the cabin and stood there, in an attitude, under the circumstances, somewhat defiant, until ___ed by Ed. Hudson, and drawn into the ___, scuffling and using his knife from the start.  In a moment, James Hudson and Boren became engaged, and a scene of the wildest confusion at once ensued.  The conflict became one of the most fearsome and desperate character.  Knives were ___ with an apparent indiscrimination; tables, chairs, stove, etc., were overturned, displaced and broken; so savage and indiscriminate, indeed, became the ___y that no one with safety could remain in the cabin.  The cook finally removed himself from the engagement ___ from the cabin of the boat, and plunged overboard into the river.  This course ended the dreadful affray.  In short time a comparative quiet was restored—the parties to the riot on board being satisfied that the cook had come to his death by drowning.  Mr. Boren, meeting Edward Hudson, immediately afterward addressed him as follows, “Ed, I came to your rescue, to keep you from getting killed, and am badly hurt myself.” Turning then to the Rev. M. Olmsted, who was a passenger, he apologized for his conduct in connection with the difficulty.  ___ was then passed to the cabin of the ___ where reason and speech at once de___ him and death set its unmistakable ___ upon his features.  He had been stabbed in the brain, through the temple!  At Caledonia he was transferred to the shore, __ among relatives and friends, he expired.

           Thus perished Gilbert Boren—a man whose only essential fault was his rash and daring excitement—a man of a universally obliging and generous disposition.  At the time of his death was a Councilman of Mound City—a position to which he was elevated by the almost unanimous vote of his fellow citizens.

           Edward Hudson was seriously wounded in the melee.  His person bears five cuts—one upon the hand, one in the back, one in the thigh, and two upon the head.  James Hudson received a cut across the head.

           An hour or so after leaving Caledonia, Captain of the Gazelle discovered Wallace, the cook, whom everybody supposed drowned, on board his boat, concealed, if we are correctly informed, in the wheel__  He promptly brought him back, as he should have done, and surrendered him to the authorities at Caledonia.  Here summary punishment would have been meted out to him no doubt had not Mr.  ___am Boren, brother of the deceased, _____ that the law should take its course.  Had it not been for him, it is altogether possible that Wallace the cook would have been summarily disposed of by the __ed people.  In the melee, two knives were used, but the cook sustained no injuries excepting a slight cut on the hand.

Saturday last a preliminary examination of Wallace was held, before two justices at Caledonia during which the facts above recited were elicited, the case was placed under the head of Riot, though affidavit was filed for murder.—The Hudsons were to have been examined Monday.  Since that time we have heard nothing of the case, only that Wallace failing to give bail in the sum of two hundred and fifty dollars for his appearance at court, etc., was committed to the jail of the county.  More we might add, by way of detail, but enough has doubtless been said.  It is a matter we are loath to write about—an occurrence to which we never advert without a shudder.

           P. S.  We deem it due Mr. Abram Clemson, to state that he was not on board the Gazelle at the time of the difficulty, and consequently in no manner participated in it.  At the time of this occurrence, he was several miles up the railroad.  Last week, however, we were positively informed that he was on board.  It affords us pleasure to make this correction.


Mound City Weekly Emporium, Thursday, 22 Oct 1857:

Murder—At a ball given in Mississippi County, Mo., about fifteen miles below this city, a week or two ago, an altercation arose between two men named Eads and Pierson. A fight speedily ensued, in which Pierson stabbed Eads so seriously that he died a short time afterwards.—Eads it is said, was clearly the aggressor.  Pierson left town.


Dr. D. T. Smith Re-Arrested

           Most of our readers will recollect that Dr. D. T. Smith, sometime last spring, shot Dr. Blackburn, in the streets of Cairo, and subsequently escaped from the charge of the authorities, in a manner, at the time, regarded as somewhat mysterious.  Recently, it was ascertained that he had located near Memphis, in Tennessee.  The citizens of Cairo, at once obtained from Gov. Bissell a requisition for him to the Governor of Tennessee.

           Properly authorized by the latter functionary, C. D. Arter and J. C. Lynch started in pursuit of the fugitive.  They found him in Bolivar Tenn., arrested and brought him back to Cairo, arriving last Friday morning.  Smith had, a few weeks previous to his arrest, married a highly accomplished Tennessee lady, and of course, was somewhat loath to leave her—indeed, seemed determined not to do it, until overpowered by superior numbers and bound.  At one time he presented a pistol at the breast of Mr. Arter, with the murderous intent of firing—an end he would have accomplished had he pulled the trigger instead of the guard.  He is now, however, securely confined in the Alexander County jail, and will doubtless, at the approaching term of the Circuit Court, be brought to trial.


A Hair-Breadth Escape

           “A hair-breadth escape” in connection with the recent riot on board the steamer Gazelle we esteem eminently worthy of record.

           John Wallace, upon whom was charged the death of Gilbert Boren, to avoid the fury of the parties with whom he had been engaged, repaired to the hold of the boat and there concealed himself.  While the boat was founding to at Caledonia, however, he concluded that if search were made for him, his hiding place would be readily discovered.  He therefore, celeritously gained the starboard guard, let himself therefrom into the river and passed to a position between the yet revolving wheel and the hull of the boat, where he remained during the boat’s stay at the landing, it is said, hanging to the shaft.

           When it was announced at Caledonia that Wallace had killed Mr. Boren, the most intense excitement ensued, and the determination was expressed to deal out summary punishment to the accused, the moment he was discovered.  With a view of carrying out this purpose, several friends of the deceased armed themselves and commenced a search of the boat.  The hold was searched from stem to stern, the nook Wallace had but a moment before vacated was narrowly eyed, then the cabin, the engine room, the kitchen and every hole and corner on deck.  It remained now only to search the wheelhouses.—With feelings of despair Wallace heard a determination to do this expressed. Expecting detection and no mercy, if detected, the desperate resolution to drown himself was taken, but a moment hesitating, a trap door above him was roughly raised, a light flared fully upon his face, and two searching eyes seemed fixed intently upon him!  In almost deathly dread of the triumphant shout of “Here he is!” he remained breathlessly silent—regarding his discovery beyond question—his destruction inevitable.  But only a moment thus, and the peering eyes were diverted, the light withdrawn, the door above him replaced, and, to this infinite, his unspeakable relief, the search was abandoned!  The famous “Old Put” may have made narrower escapes, but this will certainly do to denominate a “hair breadth” one.

           The boat soon afterwards left Caledonia, Wallace still clinging to the shaft and at times revolved in as it did.  This position he managed to maintain until the boat ran a half-mile above the town then he abandoned it, worked his way back to the yawl and from thence gained his cabin.  Here he was discovered by the captain, and the rest we have already reported in a former number of the Emporium

           These facts we gather from a Caledonian who stands ready to vouch for their correctness.


Mound City Weekly Emporium, Thursday, 12 Nov 1857:

Committed Suicide.

Last Saturday night, while the steamer J. W. Cheeseman was laying at our landing, one of her cabin passengers named P. Riley jumped overboard and drowned.  The man was evidently deranged.  Shortly after the arrival of the boat at this place, he assumed a kneeling posture before a chair in the cabin and called for a Bible.  The steward, after considerable persuasion, got him into his stateroom and closed the door on him.  Instead of going to bed, as it was supposed he would, he passed through the door opening on the starboard guard and jumped into the river.  The yawl, well manned, was immediately sent out to rescue him, but the fellow observing its approach evaded the most desperate determination to be overtaken by it.  He finally sunk from pure exhaustion.

We are informed that Riley took passage on the Cheesemen at St. Louis for Coalport, Ohio, that he has a family residing somewhere in this state and that at the time of his death he had some money about his person.  He was a well-dressed man, of generally respectable appearance.  His body has not been discovered.


Mound City Weekly Emporium, Thursday, 19 Nov 1857:

Terrible Explosion—Three Lives Lost

           The boiler of Messrs. Fincher & Bragg’s saw mill, which mill is situated about two miles from the junction of the Mound City Railroad with the Illinois Central Railroad in this county, exploded yesterday afternoon about 2 o’clock, instantly killing Mr. Fincher, a Mr. Johnson and a fireman, whose name we have not learned, and breaking the leg of another person.  Mr. Fincher, it is said, was most horribly mutilated—was in fact, torn into pieces.  We have no space for details.


Mound City Weekly Emporium, Thursday, 10 Dec 1857:

Mr. Robert Martin, a merchant and respectable citizen of Columbus, Ky., was found dead last week in the river bottom near Point Pleasant, Missouri.  He left Columbus, the Crescent says, last Sunday a week ago on the steamer Moses McClelland, and got off near the point where his body was found, for the purpose of visiting his sister who resides in Dunklin County, Missouri.  In attempting to cross the bottoms in company with two other gentlemen, he became belated, lost his way and wandering into the swamps he finally sank down from pure exhaustion and froze to death.  His companions by the most extraordinary means escaped with their lives, both however, with frozen limbs.


Mound City Weekly Emporium, Thursday, 17 Dec 1857:

Murder in Cairo.

The dead body of a strange man—to all appearances an Irish man—was found in Cairo last Monday night lying in the streets.  His skull immediately above the right temple was fractured, evidently by brass knuckles or a slung shot.  Several persons are under arrest on suspicion of having committed the murder, but we are assured that the guilty man made his escape.


Mound City Weekly Emporium, Thursday, 31 Dec 1857:

Young Sloo, the man who killed John E. Hall at Shawneetown in this State and who was acquitted on a plea of insanity and afterwards committed to the lunatic asylum, has recovered his reason and been discharged.  This is certainly a most astonishing cure in short time, reflecting a great credit upon the managers of our lunatic asylum or evidence that Mr. Sloo’s insanity was not very deeply seated.

We have been informed that he has returned to Shawneetown, his former home. 


Execution of G. O. Mullenix

On Friday last, Greenbury O. Mullenix was hung at Greencastle, Indiana, for the murder of his wife, on the 10th day of last April.  He insisted upon his innocence, though the proof of his guilt was most conclusive.  Up to the last moment he entertained an utter disregard for death and as he swung off into eternity, he exclaimed:  “Let her rip!  You are hanging an innocent man, Bill!”

Pulaski Index Page

Next Page